1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Olympics 2024

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by jake10, Jul 24, 2024.

Discuss Olympics 2024 in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    really love Olympics especially the boxing but …

Aye her error of judgment was using her whip on a horses legs 24 times, that’s a lot of errors

Dujardin out of Olympics after 'error of judgement
    Charlotte Dujardin, Britain's joint-most decorated female Olympian, has pulled out of Paris 2024 after a video emerged showing her "making an error of judgement".

The six-time dressage medallist said she was under investigation from the International Federation for Equestrian Sports (FEI) and would "withdraw from all competition while this process takes place".

The 39-year-old also said she was under investigation from the British Equestrian Federation and British Dressage.

"What happened was completely out of character and does not reflect how I train my horses or coach my pupils, however there is no excuse," she said in statement.

"I am deeply ashamed and should have set a better example in that moment
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/equestrian/articles/c97d4vnxv45o

2. StevieBhoooy!

When I first saw this story there was no detail about what she’d done….

Made it sound (to me anyway) like she’d been caught tickling it’s nuts or something…

I am more shocked that the bint is utterly shedded and has private stables for training..

Closer to royalty than any Olympic ethos… But then there is plenty history with the U.K. olympics teams, horsey events and royalty.

Dressage.. sport of ‘the people’

(not ‘ra peepul’)

3. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
  4. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    she’s lost some of her funding and video of her whipping horse (surprised bbc is showing it) is below

“On Wednesday Dujardin had her UK Sport funding suspended pending the outcome of the FEI investigation, while she has also been dropped as an ambassador for horse welfare charity Brooke.

Two of her sponsors, equestrian insurance company KBIS and Danish equestrian equipment company Equine LTS, have terminated their deals with her”

actual video here, (tried posting it but malesh)
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/equestrian/articles/cxw21n90w41o

5. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Some of below is shocking and I’ve seen sounness and hurlock playing live

Horse welfare - have there been previous issues?

Earlier this month Danish TV station TV2 reported that Denmark's reserve rider Carina Cassoe Kruth had been replaced, externalin the Paris squad on the eve of the team announcement after a controversial training video was sent to the Danish Riding Association.

Kruth told TV2 she "deeply regretted" her "clear error". It came just months after Andreas Helgstrand was banned from the Danish team until 2025 after an undercover documentary exposed the use of what the Danish Riding Association said were "unacceptable" training methods at Helgstrand Dressage training stables.

The undercover journalist found horses with welts from whips, mouth sores and spur marks that were hidden with shoe polish. They were also filmed being ridden in rollkur (hyperflexion of the neck). Helgstrand Dressage said the mistreatment "did not live up to our guidelines and values".

Earlier this year, former Colombia and then United States rider Cesar Parra was suspended by the FEI pending an investigation into "the disturbing and abhorrent images and videos" that emerged of his training techniques.

Three years ago at the Tokyo Olympics, a German coach was thrown out of the Games for punching a horse who was refusing to jump during the modern pentathlon.

As a result, showjumping is to be removed from the sport - a change that will come into effect after the Paris Olympics. It will be replaced by an obstacle course, but the decision has been widely criticised by athletes.

At the same Games, a Swiss horse in the eventing was euthanised after being injured in the cross-country, while an Irish horse was able to continue competing in the showjumping despite bleeding from its nostrils

6. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    Really excited about the Olympics starting. Always great to watch.

HoopyT likes this.
  7. KRS-1888 Scott La Rock

Series of arson attacks have hit the railway’s in France leaving thousands stranded just hours before the opening ceremony.

8. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    It's great to see the countries the way they're so happy to be in the limelight.

King of Kings likes this.
  9. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    Think the French National Anthem is one of my favs, always sounds amazing.

10. jvalin

11. HoopSprings

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Feels like I'm on a serious trip here.

12. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Bit mental isn't it?

London 2012 opening ceremony * all over this.

HoopSprings likes this.
  13. celtic warrior

I love me some Olympics.

Personally I think an Olympic gold medal should be the highest achievable sporting award

jake10, King of Kings and The_Bhoy like this.
  14. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Take football out of it and other * non-Olympic styled sports though. Should only really be athletic based sports I think. Football already has enough competitions, there’s absolutely no need for it there

HoopyT and King of Kings like this.
  15. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Change it to 5 a side for * n giggles.

Short half's, loads of goals, no offsides.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2024
  16. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I really liked the opening ceremony. Would’ve been much easier and slicker to perform it in a stadium, but sharing it across the city is preferable imo. I like the fact that you could have young Parisians feel part of it, as opposed to just spectators to it.

It was very French.

17. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    What happened with the opening ceremony?:56: I'm in a few telegram crypto groups, heavy populated with Trump supporters and than kind of people... they are all up in arms about it, mocking Christianity seems to be the cry:56:Satanic ritual, kids exposed to depravity, promotion of transgender ideas, ta * happened?

18. Sween

I just watched it.

Besides the fact it went on for ages and there were too many cutaway video spots, it was ok. One bit that has annoyed a lot of people was a group of trans dudes portrayed in a image that resembled The Last Supper. There was also an oddly violent bit celebrating the Red Terror was felt quite punchy for a family friendly event.

There was a ton of "positive inclusivity that showcased a modern and diversified france"/ "weird tranny self indulgent pish", depending on your own take

My personal take was I found a stark contrast comparison between the historic culture of Paris and the modern lack of culture and absolute self indulgence. It was pretty depressing to me. About 2/3rds of the ceremony celebrated the historic art, culture, philosophy, architecture, and politics of the French civilisation. And the other 1/3rd was fat bearded guys in dresses tweaking and grinding. Just highlighted the dumbed down cultural abyss we are living through in my opinion.

thailandceltic likes this.
  19. Ľubomír1 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Remco was an absolute beast in that TT. It just opened up for him when Pogačar decided not to come, and he took his chance.

Tarling must be gutted. Should have beaten a van Aert coming back from injury and would have if not for a bike swap. Ganna was always out of reach.

20. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    You’re in a group with nutjobs, to be frank.

People can like or dislike it at their leisure seeing as these things as entirely subjective displays, but anyone expressing outrage about it is falling into the snowflake category they no doubt vilify.

thailandceltic likes this.