1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Paulo Bernardo

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Luis1967, Sep 1, 2023.

Discuss Paulo Bernardo in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Think we might have Bernardo as a last back up option if Rodgers biggest requests fall through

2. BigDoggyWoofWoof

He didn't play him all that much, 870 minutes in the league. I can't think we'll be knocking down their door for him.

3. Maestro 08

I was keen to sign him but probably like many I think that's because we fear the alternative will be another Kwon type punt and at least with Bernardo we know what we're getting and there's potential for him to kick on. In a perfect world I would probably still sign him for £3m max as a good squad player but bring in a ready made starter as well bcos we badly need it. Hatate is too inconsistent and O'Reilly is looking like he'll be away.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2024
    NakamuraTastic likes this.
  4. horseshoe

There was a poll a wee while back asking if out of the loan singings Bernardo and Idah who you'd go for if not both, I voted Bernardo and still feel the same, he pretty much never put a foot wrong when he played, didn't look out of place when dropped in to the CL games, does a good amount of dirty work and good defensive positioning that goes quietly unnoticed by a lot of fans (similar to O'Riley in this), and when he got a run of games at the end of the year showed a really good range of passing and got himself into good positions attacking the box, strong on the ball, really technically sound player and probably still has another level or two in him to go up with more regular gametime.

NakamuraTastic and Crilly like this.
  5. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I honestly really enjoyed watching him. I felt he had decent strength, decent pace, a bit of flair and confidence in himself. Even if he's not guaranteed starter this season, he will be the following season and will play an important role this season if he joins. We've seen him do the business in big games too, playing well in the Champions League, scoring and creating 2 goals against the Huns.

6. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    Stop * about Peter and get the bhoy in the door, we need an injection of quality players to bolster the squad, I still think we will lose a couple of our quality midfielders, still need a big clear out of the projects that will never be first team regulars.

7. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic are back round the table with Benfica in a bid to thrash out a deal for Paulo Bernardo.

Hoops boss Brendan Rodgers is keen to bring the Portuguese midfielder back to Parkhead after last season’s successful loan. And while the two clubs haggle over a fee for the 22-year-old, Celtic are confident of getting a deal done. Record Sport understands Benfica are looking for £6 million for Bernardo. But the Scottish champs believe they can negotiate a transfer for around £4m, including a sell-on clause

The clubs are currently locked in talks, with Bernardo keen on a return to Glasgow. After Celtic’s 1-1 friendly draw with Ayr on Friday night, Rodgers called for patience on the transfer front. He might have to play the waiting game with Bernardo as well, but he’s keen to sign him permanently after the impact he made last season. Bernardo enjoyed three huge moments against Rangers as they won a domestic Double.

He scored in the New Year derby win before teeing up Adam Idah to score in a 3-3 draw at Ibrox. Then in the Scottish Cup Final, Bernardo’s last-minute shot led to Idah’s winning goal. That’s why Celtic and Rodgers want him back and they believe an agreement can be reached

Crilly and NakamuraTastic like this.
  8. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    If ever there is a paper story to indicate they haven't a clue, this is it.

What ever happened to the stories that a deal was already agreed at 3.5m and the stumbling block was Bernardo himself for wages?
    Wouldn't need to go around the table with benfica again and haggle down from 6m again if we've already done that part.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Davbhoyinoz and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  9. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    I like him
    He likes it here
    He's done ok and will only get better
    Sign him!

BhoyFitz, eire4, FranceCelt and 2 others like this.
  10. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    So the wages aren't an issue it has been the fee all along ?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2024
    neilly1987 likes this.
  11. Crilly Hakuhna matata

Hopefully this and idahs deal is wrapped up soon

12. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic return to attack to sign Paulo Bernardo from Benfica

Clubs will be separated by €2 million, but Scots could give in and include an advantageous clause for the Reds in a future sale

Paulo Bernardo is in Seixal under Roger Schmidt in Benfica 's pre-season , but in Scotland a lot is happening with the Portuguese midfielder in mind.

Brendan Rodgers, coach of the Glasgow team, gave the OK for the signing, after a good season for the Portuguese, there was no initial understanding, but Celtic is now back in attack, according to information originating in Scotland.

The clubs will therefore be separated by approximately €2 million — Benfica wants €7 million, Celtic believes they can close a deal for €5 million —, but the agreement could come with the introduction of a clause desired by the reds.

The Luz club understands that a clause that benefits its coffers in relation to a future sale of Paulo Bernardo is mandatory and Celtic will be willing to give in.

13. BigDoggyWoofWoof

Still over the odds in my view.

14. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Big thanks to @themouth1888 for his persistence in typing characters into his phone, if not for him 'the board' would have forgot to go back in for the next round of negotiations.

Special mention to his mentor @LectersLuncheon who made it all possible.

StPauli1916 likes this.
  15. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

£5M plus a 20% sell on would be a good deal for both sides, really want him back and is a ready replacement for O’Reilly.

Hammy89 likes this.
  16. themouth1888

You do realise this is nothing to celebrate eh? Going back in for a player after a month that we had on loan all season. * me I bet you stand at the door every day and congratulate the Postie every day for delivering the mail.

Such horribly low standards you have. Come back when we've made 5 or 6 signings before season has started

17. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Do you realise you're a prime candidate for Jeremy Kyle if it was still a show?

At least you don't kid on you canny see my posts, fair play bro.

18. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Nah its euros were paying so its £4.odds to make all the lawells happy :56:

19. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    No chance, footballs moved on mate money wise. 5 million or whatever doesn’t go far these days

Hammy89 and honda like this.
  20. BigDoggyWoofWoof

We got CCV and Jota for £6m like 2 years ago and they're far better players. £6m is definitely too much, £3m is probably more in the ballpark.