1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you agree with the ban on new petrol and diesel cars from 2035?

Discussion in 'TalkCeltic Pub' started by BigManSmalls, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Do you agree with the ban on new petrol and diesel cars from 2035? in the TalkCeltic Pub area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. FCBarca

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    No, they should’ve banned petrol & diesel cars far earlier

There is no future with fossil fuels as a mainstay

2. BigManSmalls

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    This is the only reason why EVs seem more affordable recently.

IC cars tend to lose about 20% of their value after a year on average. EVs are doing much worse in this regard.

The older the EV the higher the insurance will be as battery damage will be a serious concern. I would be nervous buying a 2nd hand EV. The insurance underwriters certainly are as EVs are being written off for small bumps in fear of battery damage.

Also, our roads are already a * state so having a more two ton corsas flying about isn't going to make it much better. I don't think I have heard anyone mention any preparation for the additional weight of all the batteries. But as there is no serious plan for the actual infrastructure to power it all, I don't see this ban actually happening. It'll be another climate climbdown when we all realise it was never possible anyway.

All it's doing is chopping the legs off of European car manufacturers setting up an open goal for China to undercut them. China are in control of the supply chain for the rest of our green economy so why not give them this as well, eh?

honda likes this.
  3. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Surely that's not even legal. I bet they'd lose in a high court legal battle when they go for millions in fines.

Sorry if you don't sell enough during a cost of living crisis, a product people dont want then we'll just take all your money? Good luck with that.

Although it makes me really want to buy a mental petrol car before it's too late. Might have to pull the trigger if this nonsense goes ahead.

BigManSmalls likes this.
  4. BigManSmalls

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Vauxhall are now threatening to terminate UK production over this.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/vauxhall/363525/vauxhall-could-stop-uk-ev-production-due-zev-mandate

"Vauxhall’s parent company, Stellantis, has admitted that tough conditions invoked by the UK’s ZEV mandate could force it to terminate production in the UK.

At the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) annual summit, Stellantis UK Managing Director, Maria Grazia Davino, told journalists that “there will be consequences” if the government does not offer any support to manufacturers in order to meet the ZEV mandate’s quota. This is currently set at 22 per cent for 2024, with the expectation that manufacturers will have to ensure that 80 per cent of their new car sales are of zero-emissions vehicles by 2030."

https://www.ft.com/content/e8b0451f-e544-48ab-a40c-d890b6bcd205

"Vauxhall owner Stellantis has warned it could stop production in the UK unless the British government does more to stimulate demand for electric vehicles or change its current electrification policy. In the company’s strongest threat yet against the UK’s EV quotas, Maria Grazia Davino, the carmaker’s top UK executive, warned of tough EV mandates amid slowing sales in battery-run cars. “If this market becomes hostile for us, then we will enter an evaluation of producing elsewhere,” she said. “Stellantis production in the UK could stop.” Her comments follow that of Stellantis chief executive Carlos Tavares, who called Britain’s EV policy “terrible”, which threatened to bankrupt carmakers."

5. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Me and my wife bought a MG5 electric car. Very happy with it and won't go back to petrol i think. Save around 350£/month on it.

Sparda likes this.
  6. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    That's an insane saving!

Not sure we can get the same here in the UK for whatever various reasons.

Sister and her husband had an electric, they've went back to petrol. They found it basically still too early in adoption. Battery performance not up to standard and when it came to trading it in, they ended up a massive loss on it. Seemingly batteries won't last long to warrant a decent resale market.

Think we are still years away from electric cars being as reliable and available as we need them to be.

Batteries gonna need to do circa 400miles and be able to last (and hold that range) for a decade at least, if not two.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Skelleto likes this.
  7. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Yeah I think it highly depends on the country ad well. I can admit that once we had trouble with 7 charging stations not working so we had 2% left when we got home after a long trip.

Actually we did not buy it, we lease it for about 200€ a month but still save that much. A loan would cost the same + the petrol which we always did spend 300-370 per month

Skickat från min SM-F926B via Tapatalk

Peej likes this.
  8. FranceCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - McGregor, Past - Lubo
    Which, to me, makes the idea of buying an EV for green reasons laughable.....

honda and AdamRS like this.
  9. Sween

Like for like, if it cost me around 60 quid to fill my old 1.6 petrol focus, it's about 9 quid to charge my MG4 overnight for equivalent miles. I don't drive much but if you do, that's a pretty big saving (I'm in Uk)

Peej likes this.
  10. Onefootwonder

Are you sure you're doing the sums correctly?

Your electricity price looks a bit too low even for the smallest battery MG4. Taking electricity at a normal home price of 25p per kWh it will be around £13 to charge for around a real world range of 180 miles.

£60 is around 9.5 gallons of petrol. A 1.6 Focus should be doing 180 miles for about £27 worth of petrol.

It's depreciation on electric cars that's the real sting at the moment.

Also if you have to charge away from home the savings on power aren't there.

11. evilbunny1991

Fav Celtic Player:
    KI
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    You’re forgetting Octopus overnight rates which will be 7p from 1 July.

My Mustang Mach E with 91kw battery costs at 7p per Kw 6 quid for a full charge.

Obviously it can’t charge 0 to full in one overnight but I plan ahead. I never pay more than the overnight rate to charge my car. The savings in electricity vs fuel are considerable.

12. Sween

My British gas EV rate is 9p per kwh so much cheaper if you charge at home through the night. I charge between 12-5am which gives me around 140 miles of charge or c.75% of battery

(Though my numbers might still be off a wee bit! Didn't spend too much time on it)

PaulM1888 likes this.
  13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Only an idiot would be paying anything like 25p per KWH to charge their car at home given the overnight rates available.

Away from home there are still free chargers available.

14. Onefootwonder

Obviously not everyone has access to cheap rates. Not everyone can leave their car with a flat battery until off peak charging times begin. A lot of people aren't at home at night. A lot of batteries won't charge within the off peak windows.

So yes for many different reasons people can't use cheap off peak tariffs. Odd to call them idiots for having to do normal things.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2024
    honda likes this.
  15. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I know of literally hundreds of people with EV’s, not a single one doesn’t park their car in their drive overnight.

If you’re suggesting there’s loads of people that work night shift and can’t, of the very few that do (I don’t know of any) presume they’d have a charger at work or use of another vehicle.

My main point is/was, those that argue against them will always come up with some whacky reason why you shouldn’t buy one, made up sums for example.

16. Onefootwonder

You main point was you were coming in to have your usual digs as you constantly do on this forum. It's tiresome.

You don't know anybody that works night shift, but you know hundreds of people that own EVs? That is an unbelievable anomaly.

You know hundreds of EV owners and not a single one doesn't park on their drive at night? :giggle1::giggle1::giggle1: I would go much, much further than just calling that an anomaly.

Workplace EV charging stations are not common.

If they haven't got a charger at work they should use another car? The whole point of buying an EV is to replace the other car.

BigManSmalls and honda like this.
  17. CarmunnockBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    It's been delayed for 5 years already, and I bet it'll get delayed again when we get closer to 2030, it all just a fantasy.

Sween, BigManSmalls and honda like this.
  18. BigManSmalls

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    It's in no way, shape or form possible anyway. The attempt will only destroy European car manufacturers in favour of China as they dominate the supply chain. Europe's biggest battery manufacturer Northvolt have recently scaled back ambitions heavily as reality hits.

It may be cheaper to charge and EV overnight currently, but as with other green agendas, the price is only low because it is subsidized. If the majority of cars on the road are EV the price will be nowhere near as good.

19. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

I don’t know anyone that works night shift mate, what’s your issue? :56:

Very highly strung young man. You should get an EV it would lower your stress levels.

20. Onefootwonder

Why do you behave like this?

I'm a very strung young man and stressed? You are the person that keeps going around this forum picking fights and getting into pointless and childish arguments all the time. Then resort to insults and gaslighting. You have serious problems with your behaviour.

It would be highly surprising if someone didn't know anyone that works shifts, but you might not know many people. I bet most people on here have worked shifts or know others that do. It's common.

What is completely unbelievable is that at the same time you don't know any shift workers, you know hundreds of EV drivers and know they park their car on their drive every night. I bet everyone else is thinking I only know a few people with EVs and I've no idea where they park their car is every night.

You just make up lies to try to win arguments and pretend you have superior knowledge. You just make yourself look daft.

If you've not got anything on topic to post, away and enjoy your day.

honda likes this.