1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Paulo Bernardo

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Luis1967, Sep 1, 2023.

Discuss Paulo Bernardo in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Crilly Hakuhna matata

I think it can come into perspective aswell so 16k a week for a decent Celtic player in modern football shouldnt be too much but then again why won’t we pay it for bernardo? Just seems like penny pinching tbh. No harm in signing Lagerbielke up on 13.5k without kicking a ball for us but for Bernardo who was solid when needed 3k more is too much. Just seems our business is more winging it than structured plan :43:

2. Onefootwonder

Cardiff City pay David Turnbull £20k per week. He got a pay rise to leave us to join a championship team.

A mid table championship team that averages 17k attendance pays more money than we do.

Nat Phillips was on loan at Cardiff and apparently they were paying him £65k per week. He was dreadful with us.

I do agree that we can't go crazy with our wages, but for a club of our size and our finances we can't miss out on players for a few thousand pounds per week.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  3. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Bizarre to be penny pinching over wages of a guy who we set up a load-to-buy for knowing full well what his wages were before he even kicked a ball for us, let alone when we actually try to sign him permanently. More alarmingly whether you rate Bernardo or not, this sets a tone of more of the same from the board (specifically the Chairman) being * scared to spend.

Doesn't bode well for the rest of the window if this is our attitude towards a player we know all about.

4. James Gold Member Gold Member

I come at it from this perspective but a different angle and ill be the first to slaughter the board but maybe they just dont think hes worth it hence the rumours of renegotiating the fee. Im not upset about him not coming I thought he was average for the most part.

The board simply have to be aware of what his wages are at Benfica it would be daft to structure the deal with the option otherwise but he's not had anywhere near the impact of CCV or Jota

5. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Not trying to go two footed into the board this early on in the summer but I think if they don't rate him and try and save ~£3m on transfer fee but also then expect the player to be haggled down on his wages too then it's taking the * a bit. It's not like he's coming in saying he wants to be the top earner and it'll upset the applecart - he's asking for a relatively above average wage for our players.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2024
  6. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    On the one hand, I can see why the club are still suspect over paying certain contracts for certain players. Is Bernardo worth £16k a week? It depends on where we see him in the squad and where we believe he can contribute in our season. Personally, I think £16k a week is absolutely fine. I don't see any reason why we wouldn't pay it.

Currently, including players out on loan and including players loaned in and NOT including younger players who have been coming through over the last year or so, like Kelly and Vata, we have a squad size of 34 players. That is far too * big. I always remember Rodgers, the first time around, saying he liked to work with a group of between 22 and 25 players, with youth supplementing the rest of the squad. If you take it at say a squad size of 24, we need to get rid of 10 players. We could name 10 players to get rid of very very easily.

Siegrist
    Bernabei
    Kobayashi
    Lagerbielke
    McCarthy
    Kwon
    Johnston
    Tilio
    Haksabanovic
    Oh

Now, that takes the squad down to 24 players. Which is what I think is Rodgers ideal number. You then remove Hart, Bernardo and Idah. Takes the squad down to 21. Of the 21 players we have left, I'd happily see us move on

Welsh
    Montgomery
    Shaw
    Yang
    Palma

You're now left with 16 players. Of the 16 players we have left that would be

GK x1- Bain
    LBx1- Taylor
    CBx3- CCV, Scales, Rocky
    RBx2- AJ Ralston
    DMx1- Iwata
    CMx5- O'Riley, Hatate, Holm, McGregor, Lawal
    RWx2- Kuhn, Forrest
    LWx1- Maeda
    STx1- Kyogo

You're looking at the players above and even then, some are still probably not up to scratch. Bain is here as 3rd choice in general, 2nd choice for Europe. Taylor should be a back up. Scales needs upgraded on, Rocky needs to have a full season fit. I'm fine with AJ and Ralston moving forward for another year. Iwata shouldn't be our first choice DM, even though I think he's ok. O'Riley is likely away for a huge fee, Hatate needs to stay fit consistently, Holm needs game time and/or a loan and Lawal, no one really knows. Kuhn has flattered to impress, although I'd like to give him another season and Forrest is getting older and is another year towards his retirement. Maeda and Kyogo are absolutely fine.

Take out O'Riley as we know he's going and take out Holm, because he needs a loan. You're sitting with 14 players there. The size of this rebuild, the waste of the vast resources we do have is scandalous. As someone has mentioned previously, domestic success and domination is in spite of our transfer strategy, not because of. Our rebuild is going to take at least 2 or 3 windows because you simply cannot get rid of 15 players in one window. It's just never going to happen.

The recruitment set up has been a joke for a number of years now and the penny pinching has got us to this stage. If the rumours of our new transfer strategy is to sign international experienced players, between the ages of 17-22, under £4m and for less than £20k a week, I genuinely worry that instead of progressing and taking on the big Potuguese clubs and the big Belgian clubs, we will be taking on teams like Copenhagen, Brondby and Malmo.

NakamuraTastic and Crilly like this.
  7. FranceCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current - McGregor, Past - Lubo
    I know what you mean, but my head hurts just reading that....

8. Luz1904

He earns around 1M€ gross per year at Benfica. Maybe a bit more but certainly not 2M€ gross. Net salary is around half the amount before taxes, in Portugal.

For context, our biggest wages are around ~5-6M€ gross per year. And he was seen as the next big thing when got promoted to the first team.

9. 88jimmij88

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grand old team to play for
    Ehhh, no. He was a good rotation option, certainly not our best midfielder though.

10. honda Gold Member Gold Member

How dare you. Leave.

11. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Aye Mooy was good, but I'll see your Mooy and raise (lower) you James McCarthy.

12. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Hairs the issue :fear:

13. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I believed in the power of baldy until I saw what hairy Daizen can do

14. honda Gold Member Gold Member

The extra air resistance made him able to cross. What a guy. Hope he avoids anymore serious season ending injuries. Glad he healed in a game :56:

NakamuraTastic and Can'tbehooped like this.
  15. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Back in Portugal now

[​IMG]

16. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Benfica start back pre season training this week

17. Luz1904

Started the pre-season with Benfica today. Medical exams.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    He's looking thrilled to be back...

19. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

Hoping we can still get this done, think we’re waiting to see how much we get for O’Reilly though.

Rydo1888* and NakamuraTastic like this.
  20. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    For all we know the manager might not even rate him that highly.

The_Bhoy likes this.