1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official GAA thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Gabriel, Dec 6, 2014.

Discuss The Official GAA thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. An Madadh Rua

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Lisbon 67
    Thank you. Obviously delighted we're still in it but sorry it was at the expense of Mayo. A heap of other teams I would rather have beaten. We played better than we have done recently but still some way off our best. We have tightened up at the back, kept possession a bit better but yet again another Derry team who can't see out a lead in extra time. It happens right across codes. Having said all of that, they stood up and fought last night and that's the main thing. All in all, a great weekend with the senior team winning and the minors making it into their third AI final in five years.

I didn't get to Castlebar, some of the family went to Mulligar for the minors, the others to Castlebar. Just a word about Mayo. Those who went to the game said there was a great warmth shown to them by Mayo fans. The stewards, the supporters couldn't have been nicer and the fans were very gracious and sporting in defeat. None of the nastiness we encounter anytime we play Galway.

One thing is getting on my nerves though. I have lost track of the number of times I have heard or read about Derry losing three games and still being in the championship. I accept fully that the system is flawed to allow that to happen. But why does no one mention Roscommon who are in exactly the same position? Beaten by Mayo twice but have got further. Why simply mention Derry?

mayo likes this.
  2. mayo

I was at the game with my mates and we all agreed we couldn’t have lost to a better bunch. The Derry fans were very gracious in victory and didn’t rub our noses in it like some other counties do. Also both sets of fans mixed well before the game. Got chatting Derry/Celtic fans. Had great craic with them. North men, south men, comrades all.

As for the 3 match thing. I completely agree. Everyone mentioning Derry but not others like you mentioned. I’d take it as a compliment mate. Teams still in it fear Derry and would like to see them out. Not Derrys fault how the championship is set. Although I do believe they need to change the format.

eire4 and An Madadh Rua like this.
  3. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Maybe draw Armagh and another all Ireland semi looms.

Can't sack a manger who's brought you that far. Who knows a final place isn't beyond Derry. They definitely have the beating of Donegal as well

An Madadh Rua likes this.
  4. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Your totally right about it being unfair to pick on Derry for being beaten 3 times when also Roscommon have as well. The only reason I can think of is Derry are seen as legit contenders whereas Roscommon are not.

5. bhoy_wonder Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Fav Celtic Song:
    JCGE
    * Antrim yet again depressing the balls clean off me :56:

6. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Especially after the behaviour of the Laois fans ironically managed by an Armagh man

bhoy_wonder likes this.
  7. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Not 100% sure but I don't think Dublin can draw either Louth or Roscommon in the Quarter-Finals so a really big match up with Derry maybe on the cards or another good one with Galway. When is the draw?

8. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Dublin have Derry or Galway

eire4 likes this.
  9. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
  10. An Madadh Rua

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Lisbon 67
    I'd prefer it were Galway to be honest. The draw is tomorrow morning at 8:30. I'll take Kerry or Donegal.

eire4 likes this.
  11. An Madadh Rua

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Lisbon 67
    Very disappointing. Started the second half on fire. Game was there for the taking.

bhoy_wonder likes this.
  12. An Madadh Rua

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Lisbon 67
    Our first half in Castlebar was our best bit of football since the league final. If we can sustain it for 70 minutes we would have a chance against Donegal. I don't think they are as good as they think they are. But who knows with Derry, could be as bad as we were in April.

We sacked a manager less than a year after he led us to an All Ireland. Mickey shouldn't get too comfortable. :giggle1::giggle1:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2024
  13. An Madadh Rua

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Lisbon 67
    Any fair minded person would agree that the format needs to be changed. I'm uneasy with us losing three games and being in the quarter finals but we're not the only ones yet we're the only team mentioned when the issue comes up. Armagh minors have lost two games (one of them by 17 points) and are in an All Ireland final and Armagh people are rightly delighted.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2024
    eire4 likes this.
  14. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    No question the format is to blame. But sure we have chatted and agreed on that for a while now. Seems like there will be change next year although probably not of the kind we favour most importantly with the provincials coming first and the league leading directly into the championship. But lets see what they come up with. Most likely it will just be a tinkering with the group stages to bring more jeopardy to those games.

15. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Not fussed myself personally whether its Derry or Galway. Either would be an exciting draw for us and a really good game I think to look forward to.

16. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    A really good match up to look forward to either way so.

An Madadh Rua and Gabriel like this.
  17. Gabriel Beidh an lá linn Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Raphael Scheidt
    Your problem with Donegal is the McGuinness/Harte factor.

When Donegal/Tyrone/Monaghan were dominating, Donegal generally beat Tyrone, Monaghan generally beat Donegal and Tyrone generally beat Monaghan. Donegal though need another couple of years before they can think seriously about competing at the top table. I think if they were to meet again the McGuinness factor and the extra weeks rest would probably edge it for Donegal but an all Ulster clash you'd never know.

18. An Madadh Rua

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Lisbon 67
    I bet you're right. Radical thinking isn't a GAA thing. Your own final group game turned out very important. If Mayo had held on for thirty seconds longer, they'd have gone directly into the quarters and you would have faced us. Fine margins.

eire4 likes this.
  19. An Madadh Rua

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Lisbon 67
    Said with all the nonchalence of a poker player who's holding an unbeatable hand. :giggle1:

eire4 likes this.
  20. An Madadh Rua

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Lisbon 67
    Derry v Kerry
    Dublin v Galway
    Donegal v Louth
    Armagh v Roscommon