1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Luis Palma

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Notorious, Aug 28, 2023.

Discuss Luis Palma in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

He's much better than Haksabanovic. I think he could do it. We won't play that system tho unfortunately

martin_d likes this.
  2. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    Same, his obvious flaw is trying the spectacular instead of a pass, this worked out for him a few times but thats just pure luck.

Coach him to be less of a headline grabber (if possible) & he'll be key.

The67Sound likes this.
  3. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    If we sign a proper left back, I often wonder if we would go back to Rodgers old style from his time here of a hybrid 4231/3241 with left back bombing on and right back tucking in. Palma would suit the role that Mcgregor played in the 2nd half of Rodgers 2nd season where they came in the pitch and played as a 2nd 10. So would the Danish boy we've been linked with for a while

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  4. Foley1888

Well we didn’t last season but Rodgers did during his first spell with us and has done at Leicester.

If we lose O’Riley then we will need to reorganise what we do in midfield anyway so it could be an option.

I agree his output is higher than Haksabanovic. I do think Palma has something about him, and have said before with more a target man type striker or someone that can compete physically for headers he would have had double the assist he does as nearly every game he played regardless of how poor he was, he still put at least 2 great balls in that were just begging to be finished.

5. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Luis Palma has rubbished reports he wants to leave Celtic and has pledged his future to the club.

The Honduran winger only arrived last summer in a £3.5million switch from Greek side Aris. but reports emerged from his homeland - where he has returned to over the summer to tie the knot - that he was unhappy at losing his place towards the end of the season and was looking to move on from Parkhead

Palma is due to rejoin Brendan Rodgers' squad ahead of a pre-season tour to the USA ahead of launching their Premiership title defence. And he insists he's fully committed to the Hoops and is targeting a big pre-season in order to hit the ground running, with World Cup qualification with Honduras also high on his agenda. "I have only been at Celtic for a year," he said. "I have four years left of my contract. I am focusing on the new season and getting back to the level I was at when I first arrived.

It won't take much to get me back to that. The pre-season will be important for me because we want to become champions again, I want to work harder to ensure that happens again. This week the pre-season begins at Celtic, but I get extra days off because I was playing with the national team. I will join up with the team in the United States. My other main aim next season is to make sure Honduras get to the World Cup. We have a tough path and although many people say 'it's only against Cuba and Bermuda' they are full of players who play in the lower leagues of English football so it will be tough

6. celtic warrior

Can't really complain about what he has said here.

Maybe some of it is potentially a little managed and very generic and safe.

But hey ho I think he could have a decent second season

BhoyFitz likes this.
  7. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    By all accounts he had a decent season in some tough circumstances. Had good numbers and hopefully kicks on. Has potential

neilly1987 and BhoyFitz like this.
  8. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Good attitude. He's bringing me back around.

neilly1987 likes this.
  9. DonnyCelt

Pleased he's committed and wants to work hard. He could be a very important player for us this coming season.

10. calmac23

He has good numbers, just feel like his decision making is off and he tries too to do too much at times.

But if he can sort some of that out, he has the potential to be a great player to us. Definitely not a bad signing at all as some people have claimed previously.

greengrocer likes this.
  11. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I think his attitude since being dropped has been fantastic. Never seen him sulking and he gives 100%

Could be a massive season for him next year.

charlietully and BhoyFitz like this.
  12. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    That is definitely one of his biggest flaws.
    Especially with guys like kyogo needs to be quicker releasing the ball.
    A lot of players were guilty of that last season so hopefully that won't be an issue next season

calmac23 likes this.
  13. stubhoy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Despite popular opinion on him I actually really rate him. Sure, he tries to be too fancy for his own good at times but the numbers don't lie.

Some of his better moments were brilliant this season, just need more of that and less messing around - sure Brendan will get him right too

14. henriks tongue

All our players playing at their best during their time at Celtic, Palma is a starter.
    Can BR consistently get the very best out of him tho?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2024
    Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  15. celtic warrior

Something like 20 goal involvements at the same time of being accused as selfish and lacking effort.

If he then becomes what many would see as a total team player and full effort... I'd feel sorry for any domestic opposition

16. James Gold Member Gold Member

He gets a load of unwarranted stick. He never hides he always shows for the ball and his numbers are decent. He can absolutely be frustrating at times but I like him

Taz, Moustache, Peej and 3 others like this.
  17. BhoyFitz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Song
    I’d hold on to him for now. Also scored what is probably my goal of the season tbh:smoke:

18. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

If he’s happy to be backup then fine. Not any better than that.

19. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/ Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Clearly a good player but... I think he got too big for his boots. Hoping that now he has had a spell on the sidelines he can have a good pre season, become more of a team player and realise what is required to play for us. Has all the attributes but needs to improve his attitude.

20. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    First season, new culture and all that.

The fact he's looked the part in stages and his numbers certainly are good, he's worthy of giving another season to see if he steps up more consistently.

The issue with Palma and the club is, he was brought in basically to replace Jota. Without having this grace season to bed in. Most clubs plan it that way, Ange did as well.
    Specially players coming from out with the country, they tend to need 6-18months to get to grips with everything at the club, from how we train and eat, to his the league reacts and plays against us.

And that's not just a Celtic/Scotland thing, this is the case for the vast majority, if not all, clubs across the world.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk