1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Paulo Bernardo

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Luis1967, Sep 1, 2023.

Discuss Paulo Bernardo in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Story smells of * but it'll get some bites no doubt.

2. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    We are the tightest club in world football so it wouldn’t exactly surprise me.

3. Samurai Bhoy

The article says his wage demands, not what he’s on at Benfica.
    Maybe he’s demanding 25-30k??
    We don’t know…but we can assume that whatever it is Celtic will try to haggle over every penny of it!

4. celtic20

He'd be absolutely off his * nut to think he could do that after a season as a bit-part player ffs :giggle1:

Samurai Bhoy and BhoyFitz like this.
  5. Samurai Bhoy

Yeah, I highly doubt it’s that high, my point was that some people were thinking we couldn’t match the current 5k a week he’s on now at Benfica, whereas the article says it’s his wage demands that we’re struggling with.

No idea what his demands are, but Celtic will probably try to haggle him down whatever they are!

celtic20 likes this.
  6. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Read the article fully.

It's his demand that his current wage is matched.

No one here is saying we can't afford it, be it the 5k, 12k or even a made up 30k he may be asking for. We certainly can afford it.
    It's the fact we are tight arsed * about it and we won't just pay it.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

7. kenniemk2

This is where the manager will become disillusioned ….. pistol Pete trying to get the 25 million that’s spent on barrowfield back in the coffers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  8. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    You honestly think we are paying Stephen Welsh 8k per week but saying to Benardo wait hold on a minute we aren't paying you 5k at Benfica. I know we are tight but ffs even I don't think we are that tight

Westlondonscot and Tim-Time 1888 like this.
  9. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    We definitely aren't that tight.

10. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Yeah I just can't buy into that. If it was said he wanted 20k and we said no it's 15k but no * way would we refuse to pay him what he's already on because we would have found out what he was on prior to bringing him in. That's less than players like Iwata, Yuki, Siegrist, Oh and Yang are on.

11. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    The only thing I can think of is we are offering him a wage which reflects where we see him in the squad and he wants more money. None of us really know the details but there is absolutely no way we are unwilling to match his current salary.

I've been a big critic of the board for a number of years now and I think they are absolutely right when it comes to Bernardo, in terms of the fee. He wasn't worth the £6m for me(not ignoring that he had potential to be worth significantly more).

There could also be a situation where we have told him where we see his salary being, when the initial fee/loan was agreed and now we have reduced the fee to something we believe he is worth, we are now trying to reduce the wage terms we had set out initially, to something more reflective of where we see a £3m player.

* knows. The other reality is that this is a lot of nonsense, Portugal outlets don't seem to be the most accurate. They were all over the place when it came to the Jota transfer. There is a very real possibility that we are allowing him his holiday and his break before he returns back to sign the deal and agree the contract.

martin_d and JC Anton like this.
  12. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I didn't say anything about Welsh wage compared to him.

Over the course of years I've been banging the drum that our self imposed wage "cap" is * us over.

What Bernardo is truly on at benfica, we can only guess. The guess seems to be 5-6k.
    The article claims (not believing it completely myself) that we won't match his benfica deal. Whatever that may truly end up being.

The level headed of us (that's no dig to anyone), would safely assume Bernardo is not on more than 10-15k at the very best/extreme. So even if it's one of those two figures (5/6 or 10/15k) we can afford it and absolutely should pay it.
    Comparatively to whatever Welsh is on, makes no difference to my thinking on this one. However I've got an opinion no doubt on what Welsh and others would be on as being probably too low as well.
    As a tangent, we do seem to restrict wages and don't want to push that boat out much. It's part of a reason we see players leave us for not so big clubs, because they'll pay comparatively better than us. And I'm not messing 50k+, genuinely guys like Josip will leave us for union Berlin, a club he wont expect to win much at, but gets paid 24-26k a week there - a value we should be paying for a player like him. We paid him reportedly around 16-17k.

13. James Gold Member Gold Member

Id be very surprised if he's on 5k

14. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I wouldn't.
    I assume you think he may be on more?

Wages outside the big UCL teams in the big leagues aren't actually as mental as folk fear.

Plenty of la liga sides are spending similar or less to us. Same in Italy etc.

15. Crilly Hakuhna matata

Classic Celtic penny pinching as usual. No wonder we’ve been “failing” to get signings over the line the last few transfer windows. Imagine a player on a wage of say 18k a week and we’re haggling to give them 15k then someone comes in offering them 20k. Byeeee at this day and age if we are failing to match basically a benfica b players wage it’s not looking good with the money we have

16. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Wouldn’t surprise me if Jota told him what sort of money he was on at Celtic and Bernardo asked for similar.

martin_d likes this.
  17. Luz1904

Mr Shelby likes this.
  18. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    That much? Works out around £846k at around 16k a week.

We can pay that, is it more than others in the squad seen as rotational/fringe, no doubt - but that again is part of my other issues with our wage cap, it means we can't/won't/don't match these wages when it's probably wise we should.

19. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Pay £6m for a player, you've to match the wages a £6m player commands.

20. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I don't think transfer fee and salaries always go hand in hand, especially when the fee is partly based on what they could become as he's only 22. The salary is more likely to be based on what they are now.