1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Paulo Bernardo

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Luis1967, Sep 1, 2023.

Discuss Paulo Bernardo in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    £6m is just the price at which Benfica are contractually obligated to accept an offer from us.

We can bid whatever we like and they can accept/reject it accordingly.

Peej, Random Review and Crilly like this.
  2. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    As I explained above, they won't be aware of what we think of him, of what valuation we put on him.

The fact that we agreed a price for the loan to buy deal isn't necessarily relevant if we plan to let it lapse and renegotiate, which we clearly do. The reason for this is that we can plausibly argue that we've lowered our valuation after the loan deal. In the case of Jota, for example, we couldn't plausibly have argued that. The point about the contract is a fair point; but it's just one card. To me it seems clear that we have a stronger negotiation position with Benfica over Bernardo than we do, for example, with Norwich, for all the reasons I said.

No, it doesn't. This is the crux of what you are just not getting. It tells us nothing at all about whether we think he's worth the full price. What it tells us is that we think we can get him for less by negotiating. If you hear someone negotiating for a bag in a market say that they think it looks a bit too bulky and they're not sure if they really want it at that price, you actually learn nothing at all about what they really think of the bag. The only thing you learn is that they think they can plausibly claim not to value it at that price and hope to negotiate the price down, regardless of whether that's their true estimation or not. The reason we didn't haggle over Jota and CCV is because Benfica and Spurs would have laughed us out of Portugal/England if we'd tried to claim that we valued them less after the seasons they had. It's the equivalent of the market stall owner catching you gushing to your wife about how amazing the bag is: at that point, you're going to have to pay the ticket price.

That's just not how negotiations work. It just isn't. That's how you agree a price with a friend or family member; it's not how you negotiate with a business rival.

3. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
  4. Twisty Champions Again !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Aye, wouldn't be cutting about down the Clyde on a surfboard unless he was.

5. BhoyFitz

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Song

Looks more like BallyBunion I reckon :cool:

6. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
  7. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I’ve been very vocal that I didn’t believe we should pay the agreed transfer fee but there is absolutely no way we can fail to agree terms with a player who is actively wanting to move here. I don’t care if he wants £15k a week, we cannot be failing to get this over the line with the player after getting a good deal with Benfica.

BhoyFitz likes this.
  8. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    One of the replies says he on 5k a week. Plus I'd imagine we would have an idea of wages first before trting to do a deal with Benfica.

I don't think we've even agreed a fee yet

Peej likes this.
  9. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    They aren't anywhere near as bad as Turkish media, but the Portuguese media seem a bit clueless as well.

Feels like they've been second guessing this transfer all summer. They did the same when Jota signed on a Permanent deal.

MynameisEarl likes this.
  10. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    You are right they were creating all sorts of scenarios about Jotas transfer when in the fact the deal had been pretty much done for a while

11. MynameisEarl

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA

Agreed, think it’s a lot of *. Can’t see how we’ve had an option to buy for a season and not established what the wage demands are for him at the end of it.

12. henriks tongue

We do know the fee and wages, but we are likely also trying to haggle both fee and salary down.

Likely arguing not a regular starter, it's a gamble etc - usual negotiating tactics/penny pinching depending on your perspective.

13. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    If we can't match what he's on at Benfica which supposedly only about 5k. Then what's the point of even trying to sign him

Peej likes this.
  14. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Where's that GTA San Andreas meme...

Ah *, here we go again.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

15. themouth1888

Can't see him being on a huge wage at Benfica. If true and we can't or are unwilling to match then may as well pack up now and settle for bottom of the champions league again.

Peej likes this.
  16. Onefootwonder

I can't see any player moving for a £5-6m transfer fee accepting £5000 per week. Stephen Welsh apparently gets £8600.

17. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    Yeah but apparently that's what he's on at Benfica and the article says we are struggling to match his wage at Benfica

18. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic are reportedly having 'difficulty' meeting Paulo Bernardo's wage demands - which has slowed down a potential return to Parkhead.

Playmaker Bernardo spent last season on loan under Brendan Rodgers and showed his class at times - stepping up to the plate mid-season when Reo Hatate and Callum McGregor were out injured. He also came off the bench to help down Rangers in the Scottish Cup final, and the Hoops have been keen to take him back to Glasgow permanently. There was an option to buy in the region of £6m in his loan agreement, but it was reported earlier in June that Celtic had got round the table to negotiate that price tag down.

But just as that hurdle looked to have been cleared, it now seems another has emerged. Record in Portugal say it's not the club, but the player himself, making things difficult. They say Bernardo is pushing for a similar wage to the one he is on at Benfica, but that Celtic are 'having difficulty' meeting those demands

Bernardo's existing deal at Benfica is the same contract he signed as a highly-rated 18-year-old in February 2020, when he was viewed on the same trajectory as Joao Felix and other stars who have since made them mega money. As such, Record note he is on a substantial salary and unwilling to agree to what Celtic are offering at present. However the Portuguese outlet say the deal is not a closed book yet with negotiations still pressing ahead.

19. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I don't believe he's on anymore than 10kpw at Benfica. We reportedly pay more to Nawrocki and Lagerbielke. So I don't really believe the story.

HoopyT likes this.
  20. Crilly Hakuhna matata

Apparently Lagerbielke on 13.5kpw and think the likes of holm and welsh are on 8kpw so highly doubt we can’t afford his wages. Probably being tight * again though

He could be on like 10-12k a week at benfica though. Surely we’d pay that though. Turnbull was on something like 15k a week ffs :giggle1:

Blochairnbhoy likes this.