1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Euro 2024

Discussion in 'World Football' started by Cena, May 26, 2024.

Discuss Euro 2024 in the World Football area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

We see the same every tournament

Hype hype hype

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  2. FrankMcCallum

Whoever finishes second in their group between Spain and Italy will beat them in the quarters.

MickeyyMack and neilly1987 like this.
  3. kenniemk2

Mainly because snobbery shat on 2 up top so most player coming though want to be midfielders more chance of a place in a team

Think it was mcinnes explains this ever since coaches managers to follow the fashion of one up top theirs been a real lack of striker or even memorable strikers

AdamRS likes this.
  4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Harry Kane is a world class striker, cannae believe folk are even attempting to suggest otherwise.

He’s won * all team wise, aye, but his part of the bargain is kept season after season with huge numbers. Last few seasons he’s actually added link up and assists into the bargain whilst still posting ridiculous goal tally’s. He’s got Golden Boots in the Prem, World Cups and the Bundesliga. Was going to say it’s no his fault he stayed at Spurs but that part actually is. If he went to City, for example, a few years ago he’d have trophies coming out his ears.

5. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Are England out yet??

Zanderama likes this.
  6. StevieBhoooy!

Nah… they’ve won it mate….

Haven’t you heard?

cidermaster likes this.
  7. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
  8. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    I must say that i was impressed with a couple of players playing for Slovenia. Could pick up a few from there on the cheap.

MickeyyMack likes this.
  9. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

It pains me to acknowledge this, but also gives me great joy and makes their lack of success even funnier, but since I've been old enough to watch football England have always had decent teams and probably should have won something by now. I'm just up and out my nut on cold and flu remedies so might be making even less sense than usual.

10. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Serbia had them pretty shook and there are quite a few better sides than them, so that fills me with confidence.

MickeyyMack likes this.
  11. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    I dont get why England is seen as one of the best tbh. Makes no sense? They are g ood yes, but they are on the same level as Belgium, Netherlands and Croatia. A slightly better Denmark/Sweden. Nothing more than that.

Then we have Germany and Spain who are just far superior. I might sound bitter as a Swede now, but im not confident that they would qualify every year if they had our luck with group draws.

12. Onefootwonder

England do have a very good squad of players. On paper they are one of the best teams.

Like last night some of their top players don't manage to perform well enough. Southgate gets the blame for his tactics, but the players look like they lose their nerve.

13. celtic warrior

I don't disagree... like I appreciate it is probably pie in the sky stuff and ffs, only 1 game... but the CB Bijol looks handy.

Middle table Serie A player at Udinese, but they reportedly paid €4mill for him so likely outside our price range, despite our cash in the bank and potential profits from various player and ex players moving.

Skelleto likes this.
  14. Twisty Champions Again !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Thought the boy Drkusic at cb looked decent. Plays in Russia for Sochi, and valued at £2.8m on transfermarket, although it's hardly accurate.

celtic warrior likes this.
  15. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Was that the CB who pinged passes around like * prime Iniesta lol?

Joking aside, there was a CB with incredible feet. Noticed him several times creating chances with fantastic long balls.

16. murphy88

Just to add a bit in context when he won the golden boot. Out of 6 goals, 3 were penalties. When it came to the business end of the tournament he couldn’t score. That’s kind of what I’m getting at with Kane. He is a quality finisher no doubt about it. And against the smaller nations when he will get chances, he will inevitably get goals. When it comes to big games against big teams though, I don’t think England get enough out of him. England have gotten to the latter stages a few times under Southgate now. Can you remember a game where he has really stood out or taken the game by the scruff of the neck? The only one I can think of was Germany in the Euros. Which was a home game for them against a German team who were in turmoil at the time in all honesty.

17. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    He did look good, big unit too.

The left back was OK, too, sure he's still a homebased player.

18. TESLA Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Vernon Dursley.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields Of Athenry.
    Spain by far the strongest looking so far, didn't expect to be saying that.

See how they get on against Italy.

19. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

England undoubtedly have one of the best teams there. Kane, Bellingham, Foden, Rice, and Saka walk into every other nation’s team that you’ve mentioned there.

France and Portugal are the only countries with as much or more talent at their disposal. What will hold England back is Southgate.

Germany arguably have the best manager in the tournament which is what will give them a really good chance of winning it.

20. celtic warrior

I'm not sold on Spain... they seemed to easily opened up by Croatia, just for whatever reason, Croatia just looked like a Deer in headlights anytime they got into Spain box.

I would to see how Spain defence gets on against perhaps a team considered a bit more pacey and clincal.

Because weirdly, I feel like Spain will have a field day defending against Scamacca