1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Scott McKenna

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by The Thumb, Jun 11, 2024.

Discuss Scott McKenna in the Transfer Rumours area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Big mooy came back to Scotland as the sexiest midfielder on the planet *according to some sexy * star + me*

So never doubt a returning Scottish star. I'd take him and imo think he'll do great. It's about the only defender we can sign that I think rodgers would play instead of his pal scales :56:

2. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    What self respecting player would accept such a deal

3. buchanbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    jimmy johnstone
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie malley song
    If you offer a decent wage then who knows?
    As I am clearly not a football player or agent but a mere punter, have we not invested decent wages on long term contracts on too many donkeys over the years, maybe we have to a bit street smarter on the clubs dealings, McKenna could be a revelation or another oxygen thief like McCarthy.

4. northeast67

Hes better than Scales

martin_d likes this.
  5. henriks tongue

Absolute carthorse of player who instantly got booked and then risked a 2nd yellow/red card in less than 30mins for Scotland v Swiss.
    Jack Hendry is picked before him - let that sink in.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2024 at 9:06 AM
  6. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    That's actually FRIGHTENING.

Jack Hendry has to be up there as one of the worst defenders I've ever seen in a Celtic shirt...and I include donkey extraordinaire Gary Caldwell in that.
    I remember going ape * when Rodgers signed him, and people giving it the "calm Doon, Rodgers wants him to play out from the back, he'll develop him into a pler".

How he makes the national side is anyone's guess, but for him to be on ANY field of play before McKenna gives the absolute fear.

and McKenna is a player I actually wouldn't mind, as long as he's not first string.

7. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Jack hendry is right footed and plays right of a back 3.

Scott mckenna is left footed and plays left of a back 3 and is back up to a £25m EPL player in KT

But whatever suits the narrative

martin_d, HTG, Mr Shelby and 2 others like this.
  8. kenniemk2

Jack hendry is where he is because Clarke is looking to play out from back he’s actually not a good defender but a good passer of the ball that’s how * up it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. SK89

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    McKenna has a commanding and physical presence about him which Scales doesn't have, most times I see Scales on the ball He looks scared and doesn't know what to do next, sign McKenna and another CB, make Scales 4th choice and get rid of Kobayashi and Lagerbielke, problem solved.

Tommy25 and martin_d like this.
  10. calmac23

I actually thought he was quite good when he came on, aye he got booked but I think he made the right call as the player seemed rapid

11. themouth1888

If he's seen by the board as anything other than a squad player we are *.

12. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He's picked before him for a specific reason. If McKenna wasn't left footed and Tierney ahead of him he'd be in.

Definitely not a cart horse. He made the right decision on the foul and played some good passes and brought the ball out well a couple times.

I get you don't like him but it's not as black and white as you're making out.

13. henriks tongue

Fair enough, and maybe I'm being a little harsh.
    Overall however, I think we can and should do much, much better. Like to CCV level or even better.

I'd be genuinely delighted for both Scotland and Celtic (if he signs) if he proves me wrong, starting with Hungary on Sunday.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2024 at 8:53 AM
  14. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    It all comes down to the fact that none of the names we're being linked with are good enough.

Some, like McKenna, might "improve" us, but certainly by no great leaps and bounds. McKenna should be seen as a better option than Scales or Welsh, but not as a partner for CCV.

neilly1987, Skelleto and Lewis Kerr like this.
  15. saltire78

Perhaps, but I'd wager he'd improve himself if he was played alongside CCV. I'm not a huge fan, but I think that if we don't at least run serious numbers on the deal when he's free and a homegrown player it's a missed opportunity. Get him in, keep CCV and Rocky, get another of around CCV quality, Scales kept as support. That's a decent outfit in defence for Europe and the SPFL/cups combined.

The_Bhoy and Hope N Ur Heart like this.
  16. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    That's the ideal scenario.

We won't though. That's the point. If we sign Mckenna, that's it. He won't be a back up for another incoming transfer. McKenna will be the clubs "solution" and BRs first pick.

Obviously the narrative is "we could do worse", which is true.
    But we could do a * of alot * better too.

The_Bhoy and Peej like this.
  17. Henrik 07 Gold Member Gold Member

Scott McKenna’s immediate future looks like it is close to becoming clearer after the Scotland defender was recently linked to Celtic.

Released by Nottingham Forest at the end of the season, the former Aberdeen man was recently linked to a move to Parkhead

Former Aberdeen hero and club legend, Willie Miller, believes Celtic should look to sign McKenna as the 27-year-old looks set to play a big part in Scotland’s Euro 2024 campaign against Hungary tonight.

But it seems that the former Forest man looks set to make a decision on his future according to a report in The Mirror.

With 35 international caps to his name, McKenna has made two appearances in this summer’s Euros and is likely to start against Hungary tonight due to the injury to Kieran Tierney

McKenna is a left-sided central defender and could provide competition, or even an upgrade, on current Celtic stopper, Liam Scales.

The Republic of Ireland international had a super season for Celtic under Brendan Rodgers but was starting to show signs of fatigue and lack of concentration towards the end of a campaign where he helped deliver a league and Scottish Cup double.

But according to the report this morning, The Mirror states, “Forest’s Scottish defender Scott McKenna, 27, has been given a free transfer and is likely to join Copenhagen.”

18. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Better than ccv? He's litterly went seasons now without barely a mistake. He's imo as a defender the best we've had. Spend.30/40m and imo couldn't get as good or consistent. So drop your expectations. I'd take big mkenna in a heart beat. He'll make everyone eat there words.

19. henriks tongue

That's part of the issue, expectations have been set so low by the board over the years it spreads to the fans.
    Why shouldn't we be aiming for someone as good as CCV - or even better?
    CCV cost us £7M not £30-£40M
    There are excellent players out there like CCV, Jota, Kyogo, MoR etc that ARE within our reach.
    We should be looking for opportunities to improve every single position, every single season - that's what continuous improvement looks like.

20. honda Gold Member Gold Member

I just don't think there's anyone as good as ccv. A better ball player is what we should aim for yes. As a pure physical defender imo we can't get better. Maybe I'm blinded by his perfection but that's being realistic. Nobody even expected him to be this utterly solid. Go for a vvd, ajer etc to bring it out yes. Even those are not as good as ccv at pure defence. That's talking about a defender voted best in the world.