1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic Transfers 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Celtic Transfers 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    You go and find an edouard type
    (From 2018) if you can.

He came in 3rd behind moussa and Griffiths

We will play minimum 52 games next season if we get to 2 no finals and last 24 UCL then that's 60 games. Kyogo shoulder needs surgery too he played at times this season during first half to january when if idah was here he wouldn't have

Hammy89 likes this.
  2. mayo

I think we’ll spend about 40m but we’ll sell about 30m. I reckon we’ll go quite safe also this window and buy a lot of players we’ve heard of or been linked with recently

3. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I just want first team ready quality in and depth..

I don't care if it's freebies/pre contracts, loan to buys or snips..

I just want us getting our recruitment spot on and bringing in quality right across the spine..

An experienced, commanding, sweeper keeper
    A monster centre back with pace to partner Carter-Vickers. Ideally good in the air
    An athletic, overlapping left back who can beat a man and is good both ways
    More dynamic midfielders and creativity in the middle. A bit of physicality wouldn't go amiss either
    A game changing winger (or 2), on the right at the very least
    A versatile forward to go with Kyogo and probably Idah

Getting a heap load of pish out the door one way or the other..

4. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I don't think Maeda's played a single game outwith a friendly up top for Rodgers..

T.Rogne25, Hammy89 and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  5. HoopyT Danny McGrains Bearded Army Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I genuinely don't give two * about how much we do or don't spend. End of the window if we got an improved team on what it is currently then I'm happy.

Tomas, The_Bhoy, Hammy89 and 2 others like this.
  6. StainseyBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Andy Hinkel !!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing

7. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    Yeah, I’m with you on this, our past two windows have been *.

Can’t see that changing. The old oh well we tried etc will be rolled out again, Pedro will laugh at the Zombies crack a joke etc and that’s that!

I hope I’m wrong and we got out and spend on real quality or get real quality in.

LectersLuncheon likes this.
  8. totti-88

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,let the people sing
    Edouard came as 3rd choice and was then signed perm for 9m while still prob being 3rd choice at that point. Dembele was only sold right at the end of the window or we'd have had 2 seasons with 3 of them. Even go back to O'Neill, Strachan and maybe not so much in terms of quality but Lennon (first spell more so) all had 3 strikers to rely on. Think it's a must for us tbh and up to the players to challenge themselves to be the best and stay in the team or take the chance when it comes.

honda and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  9. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    McGregor, hate, O'Rielly

Iwata, Bernardo, Kelly/Holm

Midfield as it stands should be fine, if we make sure we fix everything else.

If O'Reily was to leave (most likely), then he needs replaced.
    That can't come from within, we need to go out and get someone.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Hammy89 likes this.
  10. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    I want Bernardo finalised ASAP and then Idah.

Move onto targets that are fresh and new.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  11. oh bhoy

we need two top wingers ,thats whats gonna make the difference . if we get bernardo and idah id imagine we will go for a steady keeper with a bit of experience ,prospect type lb + cb and that will be it but we are in desperate need of quality on the wings ,some decent service to kyogo or idah and 4 in a row will be a cake walk

12. T.Rogne25

which is a bit of a surprise to me as I thought he’d play central or be punted when Rodgers came in as I didn’t see Rodgers having him with his lack of technical ability in a wide area.

Fair play to him, been outstanding since he came back from injury. He has found a first touch in his 3rd season.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  13. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Everyone's an accountant on here:56: not having a go at anyone but I never understood the fascination with how much money we have in the bank or what we pay or pay for players(" I wouldn't pay more than insert million for insert player").. its definitely gone up several notches since the huns went bust, something our board certainly play on too.

All I know is we need to move on from the current trading module that's been in place since 2001 or whatever and stop taking Europe as a bonus and try and actually compete... rant over:56:

murphy88, Crilly, Peej and 5 others like this.
  14. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    But that shows how little you need a 3rd choice. Keeping a 3rd choice happy would be so difficult. For me any 3rd choice needs to be a winger.

15. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Édouard was brought in to replace Dembele the following season. The club knew they were selling him. I thought that when we signed him and I still believe that.

Lennon (first spell) and O'Neill would play 2 up top, if you play 2 up then obviously you need at least 3. If Rodgers wants to play 2 up top then fine get 3 but I'm not sure he will.

16. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    Obviously, I know it's tongue and cheek but I don't think it's about fans being accountants. I think we mention the money in the bank because we want to strengthen our position as the top club in the country and when we don't properly invest in the squad or we don't get it right with our recruitment, it hampers our ability to make signings further down the line until we get players off the books.

No one is denying that we can sign good players for relatively cheap fees, Hatate and O'Riley are mentioned on here as excellent examples and rightly so. Excellent scouting and excellent business from the club. However, for every Hatate and every O'Riley, I can give you 5 or 6 absolute duds who have been signed for the same level of investment. It's a false economy, to some extent.

You want the club to get the best deal possible for players. I didn't want us to spend £6m on Bernardo. He didn't show enough for me to warrant that price tag. I think £3.5m is a good deal for us and a good deal for Benfica. After the season he had, there was absolutely no chance he was worth that sort of fee. For me, it's got nothing to do with the huns going bust. I want Celtic to be financially better in the transfer market because, ultimately, that is our best way of progressing to the next level, where we maybe get to a European final or we get to the next stages of the Champions League.

Moving on from the current trading model is what we all want. Moving with the times, upgrading our targets and upgrading our wage structure or the transfer fees that we pay. That's how you compete in Europe.

17. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    But that's exactly the point mate.

The transfer market has moved on, we haven't. As @thailandceltic astutely wrote there, we're still using a trading and transfer model from two decades ago.

We simply HAVE TO spend more on individual players if we don't want to be left behind by supposed similar sized clubs like PSV, Feynoord etc. Even Copenhagen spent the guts of 20m last year, and our transfer and wage budget dwarfs theirs.

It's not about the money being spent, it's how it's being spent. I'd be happy enough if we spent 30m on 5 players.
    But the likelihood is we'll spend 25m on 10 players. This transfer model of throw enough * at the wall and one or two will stick is farcical.

I personally don't think we should be spending a * penny until we get our scouting dept sorted out, because right now Lawell is digging through Lennon's old locker looking for names on scraps of paper.

We should only be looking at proven quality that needs little due diligence, like Keller from Liverpool etc al.

Sgt Neppers* and thailandceltic like this.
  18. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Aye the money in the bank and demand to spend money, X on Y player isn't that we are all accountants and think we know what we are doing/saying.

It's just looking at the cold facts.

We tend to go backwards in transfer windows rather than forward. Then post profits and that has fans asking, why wasn't the boat pushed out a bit further?

For me, Europe is the benchmark. Spend for Europe, you'll cover the domestic scene no problem.

We've went from challenging to get out of the UCL groups, taking juventus, Milan, United etc on.
    To struggling with qualifiers to get past qarabag, Maribor and the likes.

The clubs in between the two levels, your Ajax, Porto, even Warsaw and Copenhagen level, tend to be doing better in Europe than us as well.

From standing toe to toe with the big boys, to being the whipping boys "we can take them" team.

We need to spend better to change that. Never gonna be able to compete at the highest level of the UCL to win it again, obviously. But we need to be doing better that your big clubs start to have to think and be concerned about a tricky fixture coming to us.

When you see our squad go backwards, where we are laughed at in Europe, while we lost healthy profits, that's a worry for most. Knowing that spending a bit more can help change that.

thailandceltic likes this.
  19. Belgian_lad

20. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    https://offthepitch.com/a/interview...-underdog-role-europe-it-doesnt-have-stay-way

Just for a quick glance. I've not the time to dig in more than this for now, or in to more clubs.

But came across this article, if I'm (very quickly) scanning this properly, this attached image stands out where our revenue although would lack behind Ajax, would sit at the higher end of the other clubs listed. TV deals aside, we bring in much more revenue than other clubs to make up for it.

If we had a better TV deal, we would have even more money, but would the club spend it?
    [​IMG]