1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Fat Transfer Window Thread 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Big Fat Transfer Window Thread 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Sorry for my negativity, but i am highly confident that the board will * this up as per usual. They will spend peanuts on players who make us raise our eyebrows, and then sign Idah in the last minutes and parade him.

I hope i am wrong, and hopefully i am because Rodgers would rage if they * it up again.

Last edited: May 27, 2024
  2. apevrak

Second that. Wouldn't surprise me to see Siegrist start between the sticks on flag day.

Skelleto likes this.
  3. honda Gold Member Gold Member

Someone needs to get David de gea told scotlands just a small town in Spain. Once he's signed tough * :56: too late.

Creativecelt likes this.
  4. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    We should be light years ahead of the tarts but our strategy currently seems to be just stay an inch ahead of the blue tarts....but then who would want to watch a one team league and what tv company would want to pay for it?

5. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Sign a keeper, Bernardo, Idah and you probably have a team ready to start flag day. A new left back, centre back, a midfielder and a winger. 3rd choice striker will be Maeda.

Including Bernardo and Idah that's 7 signings. 1 or 2 of them can be loan to buys so it doesn't have to be 7 large amounts of money. I don't think a transfer kitty of 20-25m is an unrealistic expectation.

PaddyJamieson and The_Bhoy like this.
  6. celtic warrior

I tend to agree with this.

We obviously need immediate replacements for Hart and O'Riley, which is easier said than done. Along with signing Idah we should be good to go for flag day.

I feel like we are in this weird position though as financially we should be in the best state we've ever been, but I'm not convinced we could go out and experience another 7 or 8 players coming in were only 3 of those at best look like improvements because the club will want another raft of hit and hope young prospects that can be sold.

But at the same time, the fanbase (me) does expect/want to see better strength in depth as across the 11 our options drop off something horrible if the regular starters are out.

Nawrocki and Lagerbielke are a mystery to me at CB.

I want to believe we do something special for this upcoming season but I'm trying my best to curb my enthusiasm because of the historic behaviour of this board.

NakamuraTastic, CFC.1 and The_Bhoy like this.
  7. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Totally agree, I think we go out and sign one player above £7 million that Rodgers wants for the board to appease him….then the rest will be below the £4 million mark or loan-to-buys as we’ve seen the last few years.

although I don’t care what they cost as long as they’re good!

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  8. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    I was just having a look at the squad on the celtic website and counted 15 players, minimum, on the books that have played for the 1st team at some stage (not necessarily this season) that we could get shot of and not really notice they weren't here any more. That is * insane and just highlights how bad our recruitment has been over the last number of years.

We need to start focussing on quality over quantity. I would normally say focus on the academy as well but until we can have them play regular competitive games at a reasonable standard the academy is pretty much a resource black hole, which doesn't look like changing any time soon as those in charge of the game are too * short sighted to see the benefits of allowing B teams to get promoted, despite the evidence of how it works in other countries.

All of which is a long winded way of saying until there is a change in mindset, and personnel, in the people involved in our transfer dealings I don't expect to see any improvement in our buys this summer. We might get the odd gem, like an O'Riley, but it will be down more to luck than judgement. I hope to * I am wrong and they start thinking like a modern football club with a proper player trading model, but I am not overly optimistic on that front.

9. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    We need 6 or 7 players of first team quality.

Fantastic end to the season but it shouldn't paper over the obvious cracks that are there and I'm surprised at some comments above.

Idah and Bernardo wouldn't satisfy me along with a few other punts at 2-3m. The latter especially the jury is still out as to whether he is worth the investment.

We don't have a wide man I trust consistently to turn up and we still don't have a LB or partner for CCV I believe to be of an adequate level. Still also don't have the power and pace I think we need in the midfield.

The money is there and we should be investing it. I'd say we need a sort of rebuild ourselves, just not to the same level as across the city. They will improve going into next season IMO, we need to put the foot down.

The_Bhoy, Foley1888, murphy88 and 5 others like this.
  10. Paradise_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    Villa looking for 6 million for Coutinho Rodgers got the best out of him at Liverpool is it someone he would target potentially?

11. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    No.

Bangarangura likes this.
  12. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Why haven't we put in a call for Miller, Miovski and Idah yet?

* ludicrous.

13. Paradise_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    and why not is a good footballer lost his way a bit not a 2 or 3 million punt or anything like that.

68 caps for Brazil played for some of the biggest clubs in the world. Interested to hear why not other than a flat no without a decent reason

14. Crilly Hakuhna matata

Unbelievable footballer mate, one of the best players I’ve seen at Liverpool. The reason why I’d doubt it is because of his wages, I reckon he’s on mental wages and he would have a lot of teams willing to pay him them I reckon.
    Apparently he’s on like 125-135k a week. So realistically we’d be wanting him to take a 90-95k a week wage cut…. Which I just done see cause apparently he took a massive wage cut already going to villa, think he was on 350k+ at barca

The_Bhoy, NakamuraTastic and Hammy89 like this.
  15. Paradise_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Callum McGregor
    yeah thought the fact he played with Brendon and maybe willing to take a pay cut to play. All the points you made were spot on aswell

16. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I can't think of a single reason why we would be interested in him.

Doesn't fit our team or club in any sort of way.

I'd be interested in why you think it's realistic in any way.

He'd more likely flop here like Juninho, who won a World Cup with Brazil and played for one of the biggest clubs in the North East of England, than be a success.

17. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Coutinho isn't going to come to Scotland.

We can't afford his wages.

He doesn't strike me as the sort of player tailor made for Scottish football.

NakamuraTastic and Hammy89 like this.
  18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Waste of time even talking about Coutinho, he’s going home to Brazil.

Sgt Neppers* and Hammy89 like this.
  19. Foley1888

As things stand we have the following

GK: Siegrist, Bain
    RB: Johnston, Ralston
    LB: Taylor
    CB: CCV, Scales, Nawrocki, Welsh, Lagerbielke, Kobayashi
    DCM: McGregor, Iwata, Lawal, Kwon, Holm, McCarthy
    CM: O’Riley, Hatate,
    RW: Forrest, Kuhn, Yang, Tilio
    LW: Maeda, Palma, M Johnston, Haksabanovic
    ST: Kyogo, Oh

As others have said just looking at that squad there is a lot of work to be done. We are light at Goalkeeper, Left Back, Centre Midfielder/ attacking centre midfielders and striker before anything else happens.

We are bloated at Centre back, defensive midfield and on the wings with players no where near good enough and need to look to move on a few from each position and find loans for a couple too.

After players out without any signings you could be looking at

GK: Bain
    RB: Johnston; Ralston
    LB: Taylor
    CB: CCV, Scales, Nawrocki, Welsh
    DCM: McGregor, Iwata, Lawal
    CM: Hatate
    RW: Forrest, Kuhn
    LW: Maeda, Palma
    ST: Kyogo

With Holm, Kwon and Yang out on loan.

So we would need:

GK x 2 starting and backup
    LB preferably starting
    CB starting
    CM x2 attacking minded
    ST proper competition for Kyogo

That’s already 7 players of which at least 4 have to be able to start probably more. In addition we feel light on quality on the wings so you would want at least a starting right winger.

So for me an absolute minimum coming in we need 8 players and the only one who is really a back up is the other keeper, the rest will need to be players who can hit the ground running.

Last edited: May 27, 2024
  20. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    That squad is very underwhelming on paper.

Agreed wholeheartedly on all the above.