1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Fat Transfer Window Thread 2024

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Oct 30, 2023.

Discuss Big Fat Transfer Window Thread 2024 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. murphy88

If we show the same level of ambition as last summer, they will rightly be criticised. If we don’t act like a pub team and conduct our business in a decent manner like we did when Lawwell wasn’t in a position of power, fans will be happy, just like we were in the years of his absence. It’s really no difficult to understand.

The_Bhoy and NakamuraTastic like this.
  2. john2061

Every player we sign should enhance the team from new goalkeeper and left back and centre half and two new wingers and another midfielder if O'Reilly leaves and two new strikers and that's 8 new players to improve this side .

The_Bhoy and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  3. Creativecelt Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Current Team:Kyogo; Invincible Team: Brown; Seville Team: Larsson; Burns Team: McNamara
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Various
    To be fair, i would love for BR to bring thru an academy side and win the league with them. And now is the time to do that, we have won 3 leagues now, SEVCO have a massive rebuild, lets bring thru the nucleus of the next team whilst they are rebuilding.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  4. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Tbf we heard the same when Rodgers came last summer.

I'm very much gonna believe it when I see it this summer. I've spent too many on here getting my hopes up.

Surely we have to this time though. There's literally nowhere to hide.

5. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I reckon the change in manager had a lot to do with it mate. Whatever Ange and Mark Lawwell had going didn't work for Brendan. Think everyone will be on the same page now going into this window.

6. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Fingers crossed.

I do think for years we've been lacklustre in our approach to scouting across several managers including Rodgers first time here. Something has to change.

I just find the idea of the celtic board investing in proper first team quality in the right positions across the team very hard to imagine but there's no better time than now for me to be proven wrong.

NakamuraTastic and Slaw like this.
  7. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    We seem to be good at when we are having to rebuild a team. MONs first season. Lennons first season and Anges but we never seen to able to build on it

8. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Be great to find a fool proof system of recruitment that always delivers, just don't think it's an easy thing to master. Suppose the DoF argument comes into it here, having an overall structure that gives continuity. But it's not something you just implement at the click of a finger, it takes a lot of planning and fine-tuning over a period of years.

As it stands we take things as they come, which at this time is giving Brendan his place in deciding who comes in. Hopefully this one works out as planned.

9. murphy88

We have had years to implement it though, that’s the whole point.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  10. john2061

As I said in my earlier post the support is ambitious the manger certainly is and it's all down to the ambitions of this board we question and if we don't spend money now in quality players we never will with the amount of money that is coming into the club .
    We should win this league in a canter in the coming years if we bring the quality players in the summer but what are the ambitions of this board stay a step ahead of sevco then we get the same transfer window like last summer or make progress in the up and coming champions league then we need quality players in we should know by the first 2 or 3 signings that come in .

11. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    OK just give up then and accuse the people running the club of deliberate self sabotage. Enjoy your summer mate.

12. murphy88

Have we no had years to implement it though?

13. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

A good summer this year would still be no excuse for the shambles we’ve endured over the years in countless other windows. Strange argument to make.

Let’s hope the board have learned their lesson and we come out of this window much stronger than when we go in. A repeat of last year is unthinkable.

NakamuraTastic and Blochairnbhoy like this.
  14. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Said it in a few threads 20 out the door 9 minimum needed

The_Bhoy likes this.
  15. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    Not sure I'll be able to stand another summer of Double Dutch board apologia.. :giggle1:

16. Slaw Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan’s got to step up and demand what’s needed. Similar to what Ange did, calling out the board in the media if it comes to it.

It’s a simple proposition to make.

“We did it your way last summer and look how that turned out. Time to do it my way.” (Turned out pretty well in the end but transfer-wise literally the only success was Adam Idah who just so happened to be the one target Rodgers identified himself)

Loosen the purse strings and watch Rodgers create success both domestically and in Europe on a scale we’ve not seen for decades.

There’s absolutely no reason to not say right, here Brendan. There’s 45 million pounds. Go and do as you please. If we back him like that we’ll set up the perfect conditions for him to do what he does best and be more than happy doing so for the next 10+ years. It’s an opportunity for proper stability and complete and utter dominance of Scottish football. Brendan’s been around the block already. Back him properly and he’s going nowhere unless a Liverpool or something like that were to come in for him again which I highly doubt will ever happen again.

I just hope the board see what we all see. If they start their usual nonsense then Brendan will do his best, probably win another two leagues and get papped out of the CL league phase, then move on to another challenge.

17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I think that's the issue though.

By all accounts it seems like we haven't been planning it at all or looking to create any sort of structure. For a club our size we really should have a proper set up.

Thought Ange would help sort that but didn't stick around long enough so hopefully Rodger does.

murphy88 and NakamuraTastic like this.
  18. saltire78

9 in is possible, but unlikely, unless it's gonna be the kind of signings that won't please us at all.

20 out? Not a * hope!

I'd be happy with about 5-6 in, who're all the current loans we want to keep or 1st team walk-in players. If we could unload about 10-12 it'd be great.

Just been through too many of these hopelessly optimistic windows, with * returns, to feel like it's gonna happen this time. I'd be delighted to proven wrong with a big transfer push, but I'm not buying it...

19. aussiehoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just Can't Get Enough
    Priority 1: Sign a first team GK and back up.
    Priority 2: Sign Bernado and Idah on permanent deals.
    Priority 3: Sign a back up LB.
    Priority 4: Depth players in key positions (midfield and wing).

Squad Depth should hopefully look like this:

GK: New first team, New back up, Bain
    LB: New first team, Taylor.
    CB: CCV, New first team, Scales, Nawrocki, Welsh.
    RB: AJ, Ralston.
    CM: Calmac, Hatate, Iwata, Kelly
    CAM: Bernado, new back up.
    LW: Maeda, Palma, new back up.
    ST: Kyogo, Idah, new third choice.
    RW: New first team, Forrest, Kuhn.

So, all in all, we need:

Sign Bernado and Idah permanently, before adding a new GK, LB, CB, and RW.

Then sign back ups at CAM, LW and ST.

Siegrist, Bernabei, Lagerbielke, Oh and Mikey J can all hit the road.

Creativecelt likes this.
  20. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I reckon they were attempting to put the wheels in motion with the appointment of Mark Lawwell, just so happens it didn't go to plan and the discontent it caused made it untenable.

I do like the idea of building a recruitment structure but I don't think it's do or die. End of the day we're capable of identifying good players with the current setup, we just need to be smarter with it.

Fully expect Brendan to be given the backing he deserves this year. He won't need to work under someone else's (M Lawwell) remit this time so should be a lot more streamlined.