1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

If we only win the League will this season be deemed a success?

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by JC Anton, May 22, 2024.

Discuss If we only win the League will this season be deemed a success? in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JamesM09

I guess that would be another definition of what ‘successful’ means but I think that would be a much less popular definition. It’s not a definition I would use to be honest.

Random Review and JC Anton like this.
  2. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Within the context of the recruitment being abysmal to the point the department has been filleted, the injuries to almost every single main and important player in the team and the media narrative and verging on cheating officiating at important points in the season I.e. Tynecastle - this season Rodgers has over achieved with the hand he’s been dealt and that’s in the week before a cup final for a double.

3. JamesM09

I think the club as a whole has under achieved this season if we go from treble winning squad with £100m+ in the bank and a top manager to only winning the league against a squad assembled by a PE teacher.

I would question our overall ambition as a support if we see this season as an over achievement given our position going into the season.

A double is a much improved situation.

4. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

You’ve completely disregarded the nuts and bolts of the season with that post though, you have to take into account what has actually occurred through the season and not just an arbitrary point before. We’ve never had over 100 million in the bank and Rodgers has not worked with the treble winning squad either.

Random Review, JC Anton and Mr Shelby like this.
  5. Sween

I thing there is scope to do neither. If Rodgers had an objective to win the league and he did so, I think you can say he successfully achieved his objective without over- or under-achieving.

That's kind of how this season feels to me. He achieved what he set out to do. No more and no less. We can't shoot the lights out every season.

Random Review and JamesM09 like this.
  6. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Yes.

I'm relaxed going into this weekend. Obviously don't want to lose but can't put into words how important this league title was due to the UCL. Obviously they could still qualify but it's unlikely.

That additional money really SHOULD help keep us a few steps ahead of them.

Was imperative we won. League is always the key and I'd take winning the league every year for the foreseeable if it meant not always getting a double or a treble each year. Think we have become spoiled in thinking doubles and trebles are always a thing.

charlietully and JC Anton like this.
  7. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    If you win a treble it's very hard to replicate that success the following season, for me just winning the League can never be seen as an underachievement.

Winning titles is not easy, as a support domestically we have been spoiled, i think we all hope and expect next season to be better in terms of signings and performances.

8. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Put it the other way round: would a Cup double feel like enough to you this season, vs that circus of a Huns side and their Alan Partridge of a manager? Imagine we had lost this League title to that mob. The authorities couldn’t invent enough domestic cups for us to win to cover that humiliation.

Not winning this weekend would end the domestic season on a bit of an embarrassing tone (but not as embarrassing as Ange ended last season: losing to St Mirren et al, winning the cup, openly suggesting you might stay, and then leaving 2 days later, for a toxic chairman and fan base).

However, losing the final would do nothing to erase the fact that the League is the biggest prize and we’ve taken it. We achieved that over the course of a difficult season, in spite of serious institutional bias within both the media and the game authorities, and despite being ripped off by our penny-pinching board.

I want the Cup, but if it was down to just cups or the League alone, then certainly this season it’s a no-brainer. I’ve faith in the manager and team that it’ll be a resounding ‘both’ by the end of the final though.

Last edited: May 22, 2024
  9. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

How much would the Huns love to debate a thread like this...

That's the difference I guess..

:BR1:

Rydo1888*, HTG, martin_d and 3 others like this.
  10. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Personally also couldn't care less about the league Cup.

Nice to win but if the Huns were to win this weekend it's clutching at the extreme to claim its a better season than ours. Mickey moose double.

For what it's worth I don't see us losing.

11. JamesM09

I think it’s for each person to look at the club and decide what is and isn’t an underachievement. As I’ve said, given our situation in the summer (which isn’t an arbitrary point at all, by the way) I would say Celtic were in one of the strongest positions I’ve ever seen them and therefore should be turning that into significant achievement.

Only winning the league from that position would be an underachievement for me.

I don’t disregard the challenges we’ve faced through the season, but these challenges are something we have to handle every season. With injuries it can be mediated through recruitment - which is a particular area we * up - but that is still on us to do better.

I’m kinda surprised at two of your points.

Why argue the exact number we have in the bank, for example? We have an undeniable * tonne of cash, which is the main point.

Also saying Rodgers hasn’t managed the squad before doesn’t suddenly make having a treble winning squad a negative. Every new manager coming to a club hasn’t managed the squad before, but clearly more can be expected from a squad that have just won 5/6 trophies. For comparison, our main challenger inherited a PE teachers losers mid season.

Besides that, off the top of my head maybe 6 out of our last 8 managers have won at least a double in their first season, despite not having managed the squad before. Again, given our squad and resources, despite this challenge, only clearing the league would be an underachievement for us this season to me.

12. charlietully

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Don't know about that. They will be up there with St Johnstone..

The Prof likes this.
  13. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The 2 things you’re attempting to argue are not matters of opinion, they are facts.

We’ve never had over 100 million in the bank and Rodgers has never worked with last seasons treble winning squad.

Random Review likes this.
  14. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Yeah it’s a success given the turnaround in the summer and the way we’ve played this season.

In the position we’re in though, better players, manager and more money etc…a double should really be what we’re looking at going forward.

JC Anton likes this.
  15. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky

This is true, the very fact that we're debating this is proof in itself that we are * well spoiled. :56:

16. JamesM09

Wait, what?

You read my post and you think I'm trying to argue how much money Celtic has in the bank?

And whether Rodgers managed this squad before this season?

That is amazing :57:

17. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I have no faith anymore that we will use that money to finally crack on. What it does do, though, is stop the Huns from using it to build something. That's quite important.

martin_d likes this.
  18. JamesM09

I think the key thing here is it's about Rodgers under/over achieving, whereas I'm more talking about Celtic as a club.

He obviously had to handle challenges the club inflicted on him with regard to recruitment.

Sween and Random Review like this.
  19. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I guess it comes down to what we all mean by "Celtic". If "Celtic" means the entire organisation, then we have undoubtedly massively underachieved this season, for all the reasons you say. If "Celtic" means the players, the coaching staff and the fans (which is how I often think of Celtic TBH), then we have definitely overachieved IMO, for all the reasons Paul says.

20. Waiting For An Alibi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Definitely. We are not going to win the treble every season, but we won the one that matters most. As others have said, the injuries and our lack of ambition in the transfer market makes it more of an achievement.

Morcombe and JC Anton like this.