1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The Official GAA thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Gabriel, Dec 6, 2014.

Discuss The Official GAA thread in the Other Sports area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    I want to see if my new vpn will work on Irish tv as I'm not paying £90 for a years sub!

2. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    One of the best finals ever..Mon the Dubs!

3. An Madadh Rua

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Lisbon 67
    Anyone make it to a game in the opening round of the league?

4. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
  5. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Good game this Cork Kilkenny

6. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
  7. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
  8. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    TG4

gaa.PNG

eire4 likes this.
  9. An Madadh Rua

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Lisbon 67
  10. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Some performance there that was especially in the first half from Dublin.

11. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    I missed it lol!

(Also VPN wasn't working on the sods the last time I tried it - Booo lol)

12. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Sorry you missed it. I know its early in the season but that was a really good performance. I think the big difference was how good Con O'Callaghan was after being pretty average over the first few games. I have TG4 book marked and can watch it here in the US. Its great for getting some GAA and URC Rugby that I cannot get on US Channels.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  13. An Madadh Rua

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Lisbon 67
    Dublin are going very well. Even at this early stage of the season, you look unstoppable to be fair. Thanks for hammering Tyrone yesterday. Enjoyed it.

eire4 likes this.
  14. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Even allowing for the fact it was a weakened Tyrone team it was some demolition job we did on them yesterday and in fairness we were not playing our strongest team either. Obviously the results have been very good for us as they have for you but for me as a Dub the manner of our performances has been really fun to watch. Should be a really good League final next weekend against your lads.
    I do have to say though I wish they would flip the league would the provincials in terms of the calendar. IMHO it would be better to start with the provincial championships then go league and right into the championship.

An Madadh Rua likes this.
  15. An Madadh Rua

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Lisbon 67
    Firstly, I don't care if it was the Tyrone minor team you beat, thanks for the fun. You have been playing some great stuff, CO'C has started the season brilliantly and CK seems to have a new lease of life. BF is BF, class act. I don't honestly know how the league final will play out in terms of team selection. I can see Derry giving a run out to some of the lads who are breaking into the team just to give them some experience of playing in Croke Park. We're a couple of years away from being serious contenders but there are some great young footballers in the county around the 19/20 age.
    Your suggestion about flipping the season makes perfect sense and does have a lot of support. Change comes slowly at times though with our hierarchy. Anyway, enjoy the game on Sunday. I will be travelling down with very little expectation but the lads deserve a decent support as it's been a good league campaign for us. I will also be at Owenbeg on Saturday night hopefully watching our hurlers give Tyrone a bashing.

eire4 likes this.
  16. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Haha well I am glad you enjoyed the game so much. I know I certainly did as the goals just kept on coming. I think attack wise the key for us is O'Callaghan. If he is on form then it will be very difficult to stop us and your right Ciarán Kilkenny seems back to his best this season plus we haven't really seen much of Paul Mannion yet. Although he may be coming off the bench if Basquel keeps producing. Either way I am looking forward to the game. For me having watched the games so far and I know its early but Derry and Dublin are no question the best two teams in the country. Everyone of course and rightly so points to the likes of veteran KcKaigue as well Conor Glass and Shane McGuigan but you have a lot of quality throughout your team and there is no doubt in my mind your more then capable of beating us next weekend. So hopefully it proves to be a really good game and both teams have a real good go.

17. An Madadh Rua

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Lisbon 67
    You should be in the diplomatic service eire4. You're miles ahead of us at the moment. However, given the amount of work that has been going on in the county for the past 10 years or so outside our senior team, I would be hopeful we could be competitive for a few years. Best of luck for April and beyond.

eire4 likes this.
  18. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I have to say I enjoy the chat we have on here so to speak. I imagine we would have a good laugh if we got together for a pint. I think you will prove to be right about where Derry will be at for a fair few years yet. I think you also will have another thing going for you and thats Dublin. I think the past decade or so we were watching the best gaelic football team of all time IMHO. The team who suffered the most were Mayo. That was a really good Mayo team yet they happened to appear at the same time as the best team of all time and ended up with nothing in terms of All-Irelands. Any other era and Mayo wins at least an All-Ireland or two. I think Derry could well be that level of team over the next decade the difference being you will not be up against the best team of all time. Dublin will be good and we probably are still the best team at the moment but we are not what we were when at our peak and that level isn't going to be reached again any time soon by Dublin or anyone else IMHO. So for me I expect to see your lads win an All-Ireland at some point in this decade and who knows it could be this year.
    In terms of this year I really am looking forward to the League Final this weekend because of how good and how much I respect this Derry team. IMHO this years All-Ireland champion will be Dublin, Derry or Kerry so to play you next weekend hopefully will prove to be a really good game.

19. An Madadh Rua

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Lisbon 67
    Likewise, eire4. It's good to talk so to speak with a knowledgeable supporter from outside the county. You do tend to get a bit wrapped up at times in your own team so it's nice to get a perspective from outside. As you know, we do tend to be a bit parochial up north, or maybe that's just me. At the club final in January, I got to chat with an elderly Dublin fan. We got on great. (It helped he was cheering for the Wattys). I also spent time with some Dubs earlier in the month when they came up for the league game. Never encounter a Dublin fan who's not ready for a chat. I think every neutral was willing on that Mayo team. They played a lovely brand of football. It got to the point though where there was almost an inevitability that they would fail to fire on the biggest day. They would have been worthy champions. Agree about Dublin, I certainly won't see a better team than the 6 in a row team. Every player was so comfortable with the ball and they attacked in waves at pace, impossible to live with. Mad to think that Derry last played Dublin in league final in 2014 and in the intervening 10 years you have won 3 leagues and 7 AIs. We went to Division 4 and back and won only two Ulster titles both in the last two years. I'm off to watch our U20s tomorrow evening against Tyrone. We have some lovely footballers in that team and I know underage stars don't always progress to senior team but I'm hopeful because there does seem to be proper player development now within the county. Four of our AI winning minors of 2020 played on Sunday against Roscommon. I'll head down early on Sunday to watch Armagh and Donegal to get a look at our threats though McGeeney and McGuinness are two very cagey lads. We'll probably talk next week after the game.

eire4 likes this.
  20. An Madadh Rua

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Lisbon 67
    Saw this eire4.

eire4 likes this.