1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. romeo9535

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson, Alan Thompson, John Hartson, Aiden McGeady
    Fav Celtic Song:
    4 Leaf Clover, Willy Malley
    Brendan will be gone at the end of the season and the board will go for Steve Clarke.

2. leeso-ardoyne

He's fond of the aul soup I heard and more so now as he's getting older! This could well play a part in some of his ridiculous decisions these days!

craigtheceltic likes this.
  3. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Crilly likes this.
  4. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers insists "supporters are entitled to their opinion" amid discontent from some fans after the January transfer window and recent dropped points against Aberdeen.

The Scottish champions remain three points clear at the top of the table, with rivals Rangers having one game in hand, and the travelling support made their discontent known at Pittodrie last weekend with a banner that read: ""Celtic board- on your heads be it".

Rodgers' men signed Nicolas Kühn from Rapid Vienna for £3million last month and also brought Adam Idah in on loan from Norwich until the end of the season.

However, many Hoops supporters have felt that winter recruitment was poor and did not meet the expectations set out in terms of the "quality players" mentioned by the 51-year-old prior to the window opening.

And the Northern Irishman has addressed the recent discontent amongst some fans.

Speaking to Sky Sports, he said: "It is probably one of the few clubs where you have won six games and drawn one out of seven but it feels more than that.

"Context is important and perspective is something you always have to have here as a manager and that is certainly something that I have.

"Supporters are entitled to make their opinion known and always will be especially with the demands at this football club.

"All I can concentrate on is making sure the supporters are clear and have clarity when they go into the games

5. TheHappyLoss

He talks about our tempo being too slow, is that not on him?

6. celtic warrior

Didn't take long for the competition is good line to come out.

* sickening pish.

I don't want the league to be competitive when financially we are far superior to every single club... I want it to place where if success is attained, the this club is not somewhere inferior players and staff can be.

The internal demand to domestically be untouchable (within reason) should be all that is required.

Sounds super toxic sure, but Rodgers was about one step away from directly saying the league/Celtic need a strong rangers

7. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    I would say 100%. Not quite sure what the other options are?

8. BigDoggyWoofWoof

I firmly believe that competition makes you better and that mutual emnity between Celtic and Rangers has driven both teams to greater heights.

However, you actually need to compete for that to work. If Rangers buy a load of players and we don't, that's not really competing, that's just sitting on your hands while your rival improves.

The_Bhoy, oh bhoy and seanm like this.
  9. Sgt Neppers*

Pushed by the competition???? *? We've dropped down to their level and we can go lower.

Start * winning. Stop playing stupid tactics for players who aren't suited to it.
    Start learning and adapting.

Just win!!!!

10. seanm

He can go anytime in my opinion.useless.HH

11. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

His ego was always gonna be too big to carry on with what Ange was doing, knew it first pre season game when Kyogo was played out of position with Maeda CF. Could go back to it at any time too as JK, Strahan etc could show him and results would pick up. But he never will.

NakamuraTastic and johnfife1959 like this.
  12. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    I’m honestly starting to * hate his utter drivel and * pish.

I’ve given him the benefit of doubt but with every interview it’s making my blood * boil further.

13. JamesM09

The more I think about his comments the more I’m sure we’ll lose the league this season.

Every time he speaks he’s preparing us for failure this season. He doesn’t believe we’ll win.

14. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    Wonder if the "competition is good" line is a thinly veiled dig at the board who want to see a stronger rangers to keep the league interesting.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  15. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Competition is a catalyst for us to improve...aye and we have failed to do so in the most recent window. Our board seem content for that competition to grow stronger.

The Hun side playing tonight that front 3...* me. Shouldn't be near us.

16. Darksel

What exactly is our competition when we've beaten the huns both times this season?

Is he trying to suggest the dross in the rest of the league have somehow got better since he was last here?

17. ticketyboo0 Gold Member Gold Member

* depressing seeing that league table! Shocking we have let those * back into it after amassing an 8 point lead.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  18. 7-1

Why do people always refer to this “8 point lead” it wasn’t ever that. They had games in hand…

Ryanm1984 likes this.
  19. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan Rodgers has insisted Celtic have no need to press the panic button in this season’s title race.

Rodgers knows tensions are running high in his adopted city with Rangers muscling their way back into contention at the top of the table under new boss Philippe Clement. And tempers boiled over at the weekend when his side dropped another two points at Pittodrie in a 1-1 draw with Aberdeen - with supporters threatening to take their anger out on the board.

This powderkeg backdrop will be carried back across the country on Wednesday night when the champions face Hibs at Easter Road knowing anything less than a win will result in another explosive reaction. But Rodgers has ordered his player to remain calm and composed in the face of the hysteria building all around. He said: “My job is to control the inner voice of the team, to control that mentality and that focus. That is why in football it’s such an inner game that you play as well as on the field.

“But thankfully we can do that and I’ve been around enough to control that side of it. We know we’ve dropped points and we know we’ve not been as clinical because actually, when you do a lot of the analysis, there’s not a great deal of difference in things.

“I want us to play in a better way but actually when you look at it statistically and shots and everything else, there’s not a lot of difference between where the team was before. But we’re not clinical enough at the moment, and of course, when you’re not taking those opportunities like against St Johnstone, like against Ross County, it can bring an anxiety.

“And then when you have the team of boys we have, some of them are young and not experienced in this environment, then of course that can make them think. But it’s the job of the manager, that is what you help them deal with.

“But you know at Celtic it’s par for the course and like I’ve said before many times, the key is to not get too emotional with words. Just get a sense of logic, look at it and deal with it from there, and progress that way because in times like this here you get too caught up in what people are saying or what they might say.

“As a manager you learn to deal with it. I know the capacity of the team, I know they can be better, I know how they will get better, but in the meantime you just have to block that out and focus on performance.

“We spoke about it last week, didn’t we? There’s just a feeling that it’s different, but that’s ok. It’s our job to change that around - it won’t be forever. We just have to keep chipping away, and we’ll get there.”

Amd Rodgers admits his experience in the hotseat first time around has prepared him perfectly for this latest run-in.

The manager - who will welcome Daizen Maeda back for Wednesday's trip across the M8 - said: “The famous one for me was the St Mirren game during my first time here. We had qualified for the Champions League, we had made an unbeaten start to the league, we won the first cup and had come through Christmas brilliantly.

“Then we went into the Scottish Cup playing Jack Ross’s St Mirren. We were 1-0 down at half time and they were banging on the dugout! And we had done everything to that point near-on perfect. I actually had a look around and thought, ‘Right, OK, that’s the rules!’

“At that point, and that was a good six months in having won the League Cup and qualified for the Champions League and dominating like we were and the points in front, there was still a bang on the dugout. That wasn’t good enough, so I know the rules.

“I understand the emotion around being a supporter of a club like Celtic, where the wins are amazing and the losses make people sink so low. I understand, it is people’s life, and I totally get that.

“There is no one wants this club to succeed more than me. It will be people’s lives, but I didn’t come back here just to have a nice life, I came back here to succeed and progress this club.

“I’m not blind to change. You have to constantly move, you have to constantly progress, because if you don’t and you don’t change and be better, then you will stand still. So, no one wants to do that more than me, and I want to do that for the supporters.”

The_Bhoy likes this.
  20. Lewis Kerr

"We know we’ve dropped points and we know we’ve not been as clinical because actually, when you do a lot of the analysis, there’s not a great deal of difference in things.

I want us to play in a better way but actually when you look at it statistically and shots and everything else, there’s not a lot of difference between where the team was before."

He really talks a power of pish at times.

oh bhoy likes this.