1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. celtic20

He's stated to the BBC that he "always expected" a close battle for the title this season.

I just don't see how you can say that when at one stage you were 8 points clear. So you were expecting Rangers to eat into your lead instead of expecting to extend it?

Poor words again

2. Mr. Slippyfist

A new manager might actually be understand what tactics are.

How we do not utilise the fact that we have x3 central midfielders and continually go out to either wing is * criminal.

JamesM09 likes this.
  3. celtic warrior

He's complicit in all of this.

I just can't put into words how much of risk it was bringing him back, whether he has been backed or not... he should be smart enough to see his idea of how a team should play is not suited to the skills our squad has, yet he still persists and he's getting next to nothing out most players.

When he speaks he makes very little sense. I know what I am saying is kneejerk but win or lose this league, for our sake and his, he and the Board all need to leave when this season is done with.

I'd even go as far as to say he's got in him to be more toxic than Lennon.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2024
    MagicBallBhoy likes this.
  4. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    When Ange was here, we looked at 60 mins and we could bring on 3 for 3 equal quality, and the tempo wouldn't change.
    We've been unlucky with injuries and players away, but it just doesnt feel like we can change a game (I know Kuhn scored) in the same way we did last year.
    I fear it's the style of football that's * us.
    Every time we get to the half way line, we stop, play the ball back, an repeat.
    It's horrendous to watch.

5. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Ange ball was world class compared to now. There's no speed, urgency or creative play. Too slack on the ball all over the place.

6. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    Not sure Rodgers really cares about that. I think he's a manager that expects players to play for him, regardless of how he interacts with them.

Probably hasn't even noticed.

johnfife1959 and DonnyCelt like this.
  7. Wee Baldy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Walk On
    He has taken the enjoyment out of our games and I actually think we are now quite boring to watch. Ange ball is now just a memory

NakamuraTastic and Jeannie960 like this.
  8. Waiting For An Alibi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Johnston
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    The board aside, he deserves as much criticism for blowing an 11 point lead. if that City guy was hired and was in his position, we'd be calling for his head.

NakamuraTastic and Morcombe like this.
  9. King Kwon Gold Member Gold Member

Ange used to go * ballistic when a ball was played backwards. For Rodgers it's part of his core philosophy. People can say we don't have the players to play his system but who are the right players to make this turgid football work? He spent years building that Leicester team and they were all his players and yet he was fired for playing the same * football there with the same terrible results and getting them relegated.

10. Twisty Champions Again !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Things haven't been right from the off with him. Massive mistake bringing him back and an expensive one it will turn out to be.

CL money plus the compensation to get him out the door.

11. Big C

If we went for someone else and were in the same situation we’d all be saying…..”Rodgers was available “. At the time he was the best appointment, of that there can be no doubt. His track record is phenomenal, I include Leicester in that.

12. Yorkshirecelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Speaking of the money mate.

Has the money all gone on new contracts and the odd signing?

Even with the ange style I never believed we was world beaters. I just thought we were an energetic squad with bits of quality

13. Twisty Champions Again !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony

Not all of us would, no.

14. John Bhoy79 Stop the world I want to get off!

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Until our genius, world-class coach realises that our defence cannot merely comprise 2 CB's in our own half 30-40 yards apart and no-one else then we'll forever be behind the eight-ball. Even in this league, which is probably at a lower standard than I ever recall, you cannot be so open, naive and downright stupid as we constantly are defensively and not be punished. Of our usual 4-3-3 the front 6 offer nothing worthwhile in a defensive sense. They may chase around a bit but rarely if ever do they tackle an opponent or win the ball let alone break-up an attack. Add to that the fact our 2 FB's are constantly to be found pushed high upfield AT THE SAME TIME!!!(obviously never heard of dove-tailing) then is it any wonder we're dropping points left, right and centre. Modern football(successful modern football at least) means when you have the ball every player is an attacker and when your opponent has the ball every player is a defender. We are currently miles away from the 2nd part of that maxim. We have issues going forward too but it's our defensive game that needs most work. We are such an easy touch it's tragic to witness. Rodgers needs to start earning his money but even then does he actually have the players to make us defensively solid? I suspect not but at least he could try putting us on the right path.

15. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    Exactly, he was a fairly unpopular signing and I can’t imagine many would of been unhappy if we didn’t appoint him.

16. Waiting For An Alibi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Johnston
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I think the first half, we had something like 72% possession, with 10 shots and done nothing with it. Since the break, we've scored from 2 deflections, discounting a cup game vs non league opposition. We cashed in on our 3rd top scorer, and while he had no legs, at least he could get a goal from the edge of the box. Kyogo is isolated, and needs help up top, as our football is pedestrian at times.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  17. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Rodgers has said on numerous occasions that Kennedy runs training. Well it's time to put a stop to that bcoz the last time he ran training was under lennon and we were serving up the exact same turgid * back then too.

CH4 likes this.
  18. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Still waiting for this fast aggressive football he talks about. Coz that was what we had for 2 years and should have been built on

Turgid pish

19. Mr Diggler

Rodgers I think likes players to use their initiative much more than Ange. That is why someone like O'Reilly has improved hugely under Rodgers, he is a very intelligent player who gets the feeling of where he should be on the pitch. Ange was much more into a specific style of play and the players were drilled into knowing where to be on the pitch at every moment. The players we have quite frankly don't suit Rodgers style and Mark Lawell should be * emptied. Out of his depth and there based on nepotism. Recruitment under him has been abysmal.

greengrocer likes this.
  20. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    I blame the board a lot more than I blame him but I find his style of football boring as *.

I could tolerate it being boring as * if we were winning every week but we're not. Was it that hard to get manager that played similar to Ange? * even Kennedy might be able to use his tactics to get more out of this squad.