1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    I think certain players attitudes are stinking tbh

Some culprits Palma Abada Johnstone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Brendan Rodgers in brutal Celtic 'sort it out' message

Brendan Rodgers insists Celtic need to 'sort it out' on the pitch.

The traveling Hoops fans called for Peter Lawwell to leave the club during today's 1-1 draw at Pittodrie.

A section of the support held a banner aloft airing their frustrations at the lack of activity in the January transfer window.

Nicolas Kuhn came off the bench to rescue a point for the champions against Aberdeen who took the lead through Bojan Miovski.

And it turned out to be a disappointing afternoon for Rodgers, who watched on as his team dropped more points in the title race with Rangers.

"It's two points dropped," he told Sky Sports. "We had chances, good chances, in the first half. You could see Aberdeen were a little bit nervous in the game and we had to try exploit that.

"In the second half we were loose with our passing. I think the big thing when you play in this type of game, you go out and win your first, second and third balls when it's that direct style.

"For the first goal, we were loose with our passing, then they make two passes and the guy [Miovski] is in on goal. We're disappointed with that.

"The reaction of the players was really good. They threw everything at the game and looked like we could get the goal. It's good for Nick [Kuhn] that he gets his first goal. After that it was about trying to keep knocking on the door and seeing if we could make the breakthrough, but it didn't quite happen.

"We got into some really good areas, sadly we just couldn't make that count. We had some really good bits of play but just couldn't make that finish.

"I thought second half we weren't as aggressive without the ball. When the ball is direct, there were too many times where there striker is coming off and is comfortable. There was no contact and then he could set the game up.

"Also, with counter-press, you need to really be there and have that hunger to win the ball. If you haven't got that intensity with you don't have the ball then of course when you have the ball it's difficult to just then be so aggressive. It comes hand in hand."

On Kuhn specifically, he said: "He's not just here for a few games, he's here for the longer term. He's still getting up to speed having had his break and a little bit of illness.

"He can add that threat for us in behind but also give us that option whether he starts or comes off the bench to get goals. We hope it's something we can see more of."

Then asked if he had a message for the fans, who made their frustrations clear throughout the game, Rodgers assured them he is determined to get things right again.

He said: "There's lots of games to go. We have to sort it out on the field. It's my job as manager to ensure we can get up to the levels we need to consistently.

"We had a good run up to the break, came back, the cup performance, as you'd expect, was good, but the last couple of performances have not been to quite the level we want to be at. That's on us to sort out."

3. Conjuring_Obey Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley song
    Should never have been brought back and isn’t the manager to take Celtic forward

4. singer61

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ynwa
    * stop talking and start acting brendan ffs u sort it out

5. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    got to say this all any of us should want to do at this point .....back them and pray

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  6. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    We'll find out just how good a manager he is, he needs to turn this around, it would be mental to throw in the towel at this stage, * that !

Mince.Charming, singer61 and JC Anton like this.
  7. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    Can he not sort out his * and very slow system that has been sussed out by every team as well?

8. CountyDownFaithful

He needs to change it or the league will be done by the end of the month.

6 months he’s been trying to play the current way and it’s never clicked.

Would be insanity to keep playing the same way and expecting things to suddenly start working.

9. The Prof Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky
    His first words were ....................it's 2 points dropped ...............no sugar coating it tbf.

10. JamesM09

I feel like he’s just been a PR guy since we started dropping our lead in the first half of the season.

Our lack of identity and lack of preparedness makes me think he’s not coaching the team properly.

Honestly it feels to me like he’s been brought in at great expense to manage our move from Ange-ism back to Lawwell-ism.

He’s the perfect PR guy for that because no matter what happens half the support are convinced “Brendan won’t accept that / Brendan must be raging / Brendan’s been lied to.”

I mean for goodness sake guys he was sitting backing the board even while that window was going on and they weren’t doing anything.

11. TheHappyLoss

Our squad should be way better than it is, that’s on the board, but watching Celtic play his system is not enjoyable at all. Hope he’s not our manager next season.

12. Sgt Neppers*

Sums it up nicely.

On this form, we lose the league. We could stop it. But need to find something we haven't had all season. Consistency. Doing the same over isn't the answer.

Question is now....how long does he get??

The Prof and NakamuraTastic like this.
  13. Fontaine Gold Member Gold Member

Look at first page compared to today and we're barely over the half way point of the season...

We've given Rodgers 2 windows so far and we've regressed.

I'd honestly sack him.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2024
    paulo123 likes this.
  14. Paul67 Administrator Administrator

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    You get the feeling he is absolutely scunnered, but is saying what the board want him to say.
    Coming across quite weak tbh.
    His football is absolutely dire to watch.

15. JamesM09

The fans won’t hold back after watching two windows of needless regression of the team when we should’ve been improving to our highest levels since MON.

I’m not sure he’ll be able to handle it if things really get bad. I also don’t think he understands how disliked he is generally at Celtic.

johnfife1959 and NakamuraTastic like this.
  16. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Under a different board, I'd sack him tomorrow.

But under Desmond and these wanks, we're * either way.
    The season is over. Rodgers is persisting with a system that cannot work, and blaming everything but himself. Today it's the players fault for being distracted. Never his * system, * tactics or * awful game management. Always something or someone else.

But we sack him , it's * Kennedy until the end of the season.

* knows who Desmond will appoint next after that, or indeed the summer when Rodgers * off.
    He'll probably try Roy * Keane again. Then give Ronny a bell after that. * knows who after that. Does Ted * Lasso have Irish relations?

johnfife1959 and KRS-1888 like this.
  17. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    The feelings definitely mutual..

18. 10/4 Kemosabe Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson/ Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing
    Rodgers needs a strong anti board statement. He needs to come out and tell the fans who he wanted to bring in and why we didn't get them. His position now is at best, being undermined by the board, and at worst he is complicit in their actions.

19. gary88

You'll never see a manager do that, they would struggle for another manager job if they done that

20. Mr Diggler

It is clear he hasn't been backed. My biggest fear when Ange left was it was a team built in his image. You either bring in someone with a similar style or you back the new man with cold hard cash to rebuild in his own image. We have not done that complacency creeping in with us believing the Ange treble team would go again. We know Brendan likes power and pace. Not one of out signings has been to that end. We took £20 million for Jota and did not invest. We are now reaping what we have sown.

I don't really see what our strategy is. Buy cheap, sell at a huge profit but that has been shown as a myth. OK we have been unlucky with injuries but not bringing in a left back in January has the potential to lose us the league. Rodgers stated we haven't been brave enough. That is putting iy mildly.