1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Slaw

I think he knows that. He said it’s up to him to fix it. He knows the buck now stops with him going forward. It was basically his version of what Ange said “I’ve obviously not done a good enough job of convincing etc etc..”

Darksel, neilly1987, bhroom and 2 others like this.
  2. BigDoggyWoofWoof

Reading between the lines, he's more or less confirmed what we knew. The club are risk-shy when it comes to buying a better quality of player. Buying cheap young players and developing them guarantees profit and they're scared to put down a bigger initial investment in case it flops in the vein of Ajeti and Barkas.

The problem with that strategy is it's not sustainable in this market. Money in football is growing and if we don't increase our investment and returns, we will shrink relative to everyone else, which is what we've been doing for 20 years. We are being surpassed by clubs who are less financially secure but have taken a bolder approach to the transfer market.

3. BigDoggyWoofWoof

That was exactly how I read it. I think it's probably quite humbling to have to admit that the board haven't backed your vision as to how to take the club to the next level. I don't really know how he can demonstrate that to them either. It seems to me to be a question of investment strategy as opposed to anything football related.

4. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    Lip service me doth think. I mean we weakened in the summer and then weakened our team even further now (great prep for £50m)... but at least we tried. Blah blah blah.

Well..onwards and downwards lol

NomDePlum and bhoy81 like this.
  5. James Gold Member Gold Member

I think today is a thinly veiled threat when he speaks about fixing the recruitment to bring in ready made players if he can't do that in the summer then I think there is every chance he walks. Although the threat of him walking this time doesn't hold as much weight as it once did based off what we have watched this season so far

6. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    We're an injury away in center back, center mid and/or Kyogo to be in serious hot water.

Behind Bernardo, McGregor and O'Riley, I only trust Iwata to come in to do a job and he's currently injured.

The drop off between Taylor and Bernabei is massive. And that's with Taylor not being up to standard!

With CCV being out for a while, we're left with Scales and Nawrocki to partner up in the middle of defence. Welsh is injury prone and Lagerbielke hasn't shown anything to write home about. Any injury there will be awful. We just don't have the quality there to deal with it with consistently fit players.

Kyogo is the only recognised striker who will score regularly and he's struggling this year.

The only place we look ok is right back and wingers. That said, no one has really stood out there either.

Could be a long slog of a second half of the season.

7. Waiting For An Alibi

Fav Celtic Player:
    Johnston
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Thought he conducted himself well in that interview. Asking for more bravery, while being supportive of what we have.

It's a fine balance between demanding better quality, while making sure those we have don't down tools.

Crilly likes this.
  8. murphy88

Aye I know. It’s the same for me. Had a season ticket practically my whole life, so save the emotional preaching please.

He left because he wasn’t getting backed. His employers were shafting him so when an attractive offer came along, he left. If our board had showed him the backing he deserved, he might well have stayed. The truth is though, his ambitions far outweighed the board. If Leicester wanted him right then and weren’t prepared to wait, then why no leave? If he wasn’t getting the backing of his employers, then he probably felt he didn’t owe any loyalty to them. It’s not sugarcoating it. It’s understanding why he left instead of acting like it’s your wife that’s just left you. It’s * pathetic.

9. Slaw

Will be a massive boost to get Iwata, CCV, Maeda, Oh and even Yang back in the squad in 2-3 weeks time. Holm is going to need to step up. He will be taking Turnbull’s place in the pecking order.

You’re right, it’s pretty delicate. I’m happy with our wide and forward areas for cover. CM is fine (just about) if Holm steps up and performs once we get Iwata back. An injury to Cal or Matt would be devastating though. CB is the worry for me. I’m not sure about Nawrocki. Will be watching him closely tomorrow. He could make or break the season for us. Would be great if we could trust him enough to give CCV all the time he needs

LB goes without saying. I’m just praying Bernabei or Frame show us something positive.

Crilly, Hammy89 and bhroom like this.
  10. JamesM09

McGregor is going to be massive for the rest of this season. He needs to rally and motivate this squad as much as any manager.

He will need to drag us through when we’re struggling for the 3 points.

bhroom and NakamuraTastic like this.
  11. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    There was a lot of lip service and inconsistencies.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  12. Pearse67*

* under the bus by the board, deadline day and desmond is away golfing, rome burning springs to mind!!

* THE BOARD!!!

13. bhroom

Bang on summary!

Hammy89 likes this.
  14. James Gold Member Gold Member

Watching the full press conference just now the lead in to the clyde snippet was the question "Do you think the 2 windows have been a success" For that to lead in to him explaining the club need to be braver and signed first team ready players and then admit he has to 'fix' elements of the recruitment is very telling.

bhroom likes this.
  15. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I think he done well in that press conference to be fair. He's managed to appeal to fans to not go * mental, like we all think it's going to, while at the same time admitting that we need to be braver. He also managed to take away a lot of the negativity directed at the recruitment team, even though he knows, that we know, they're the main problem we have.

Tomorrow is a big game.

Idah hattrick incoming.

Crilly, bhroom, neilly1987 and 2 others like this.
  16. Paul McAuley

He was 100% right when he said a split in this club is a disaster. We need to bury any old negativity towards the manager and get behind him and the players. * the board. Win the league inspite of them.

singer61 and neilly1987 like this.
  17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Honestly I think it may hold more weight, because he’s held it together and more or less, has continued to win and got us ahead to win the league, whilst not being backed and everybody within the club is aware of how good a manager he is.

If he leaves, and managers see just how much we’ve shafted a guy who had a fuckload of success here already, who has a big reputation in the game (and is well connected in the media who would press that point that he was sold a kipper by us) - then where does that leave us? Everybody knows one of our most successful ever managers left twice due to us being shitehawks, and the 2nd time round we lied to him completely about it being different.

What can we attract at that point?

James likes this.
  18. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Good to hear about Idah I guess, a player he knows.

TheHappyLoss and Paul McAuley like this.
  19. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    Felt abit bad for him having to defend the charlatans above him although as soon as he said he thinks the club needed to be abit 'Braver' it showed what his true feelings were about the situation.

neilly1987 likes this.
  20. Darksel

I liked his press conference there, but it's unfortunate because the pressure is now on him.

If we lose a game over the next 3-4 it's kind of unacceptable after having a full window to strengthen and not.

NakamuraTastic and bhroom like this.