1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

The pre 90s rock thread

Discussion in 'TC Media' started by Gundog, Jan 19, 2024.

Discuss The pre 90s rock thread in the TC Media area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Gundog Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    What rock bands are folk into, im talking real rock, not the manufactured * that comes out now

A few of mines in order (best first)

Alice Cooper
    Slade
    Motley Crue
    AC/DC
    Aerosmith
    Gund N Roses
    The Sensational Alex Harvey Band
    Motorhead
    Dio
    Status Quo

Seen Alice and Motley live on more than one occasion. Seen Guns last year in Glasgow, 3 * hour set.

Motley are good but not very sincere.

Alice on the other hand knows he has paying customers and gives them his all and a bang for their money every live show.

Would love Slade to get back togethor for 1more live UK tour and live album even if Noddy has to drop the key of the songs down a bit.

johnboy19 likes this.
  2. johnboy19

Fav Celtic Player:
    Billy McNeil and Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song and The Celtic Symphony
    Status Quo--- my favourite of all time
    Slade--- my first ever gig. Glasgow Apollo 1974
    Iron Maiden
    Aerosmith
    The Scorpions
    * Pistols-- a good rock band
    AC/DC
    Lynyrd Skynyrd
    The Damned
    Led Zepplin

Gundog, I agree. MOst music now is awful. But there's a few good groups out there now.
    I love Blackberry Smoke
    Alice In Chains
    Buckcherry
    Dirty Honey
    Metallica
    Greta Van Fleet
    Rammstein

Gundog likes this.
  3. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    pre-90's rock... seriously, any idea of the scope of just how wide the goal posts are for that? lol

wee green dug likes this.
  4. Gundog Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Yup massive and diverse. Yet somehow now bands cant nail it the same....Even the bands of old , alot of them now fail at trying to be either new or capture what they had. Just something about those times

wee green dug and Taz like this.
  5. wee green dug Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    John Hughes
    It's both enjoyable and slightly depressing to sit and remember some of the bands I saw "back in the day". I've still got some of the Apollo ticket stubs, but quite a few of them used to sweat away to mush in the back pocket of yer jeans.

;)

No particular order, but Thin Lizzy, Motorhead, and the Quo all spring to mind. Queen were surprisingly heavy when they were...younger, Slade were indeed a proper heavy rock band live and I'm very glad I saw Ronnie James Dio at the height of his powers. And a particular shout out for Blackfoot - a fine native American heavy Southern boogie outfit, if one can imagine such a thing!

:)

Taz likes this.
  6. Sween

I love Alice Cooper as well and seen him a bunch of times. Been brilliant every time. My favourite 1970s heavy rock band.

Saw ACDC a few years back at Hampden but thought they were past it. Happy to have ticked them off my list but probably would have enjoyed a tribute band as much.

Aerosmith at the SECC was my first ever gig. Nine Lives tour around 97-98ish. They rarely came to UK since then but remember them being brilliant.

Think I've seen Maiden the most out of that era, always great. Seen the Manics a bunch of times as well but they don't count!

Special shout out to Maiden Scotland who are a great Maiden tribute band. Worth seeing if they come round your way. Note for note they are perfect.

7. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    So true. So much music today just sounds sanitized and manufactured, to the point that when you do hear something that offers something even a little unique it's like, kind of catches off guard because of how same-ish so much stuff is.

From the Rolling Stones to Stone Roses, there is a hellava lot in between. The Beatles, T-Rex, Hawkwind and Pink Floyd, * Pistols and The Clash, The Ramones, Led Zeppelin, Bowie or Weller, Talking Heads, Husker Du and The Pixies, The Doors and Creedence, P-Funk, Cold Chisel, Split Enz, The Cure and so much more...

8. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    I often wish they wouldn't bother with new albums. You generally can't do what you do best forever.

Alot of Rock from the 80s was over produced, although it had a great feeling still. Mind you a heavy produced Def Leopard can reproduce their sound well on stage as they have fantastic musicians. The guitarists were amazing, trying out new techniques and being innovative. The 99s killed that with grunge and Brit pop.

It isn't just rock, it's pop too. 70s and 80s pop is awesome. The 90s had some decent stuff, if somewhat again over produced. Now it feels cheap, either slow * strumming of sn accoustic guitar, 3 piano notes repeated or slow strings. It's very samey and singers replicating each other. I think singers like Cher were guff, but she had a recognised singing voice.