1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Emilio Izaguirre

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Scottish Celt, Sep 15, 2012.

Discuss Emilio Izaguirre in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

2. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

https://www.laprensa.hn/deportes/em...ue-prensa-espanola-mundo-deportivo-AG16106402

The Motagua sports director was interviewed by the Spanish media Mundo Deportivo days before 'El Bicho' returned to face the team that was the victim of his first goal in the highest competition at the club level.

"I hope that Palma scores another goal and Celtic wins," highlights the phrase from Izaguirre, who valued the work of the Catracho team prior to their visit to the Cívitas Metropolitano for matchday 4 of the Champions League.

I was in March playing a legends match between Celtic and Liverpool. I met Michael (club director) and recommended Palma and other players like Elis or Lozano. I spoke well about Luis, I told him that they would look at him and that he was a player who could be very useful for the club. “He is a young 22-year-old player who can have a great season and then sell it.”

He was with me on the Honduras National Team in 2019. He was just starting out, I think he was 18 years old when they called him up. A great player, then he was at Vida when we wanted to bring him to Motagua, he went to Aris in Thessaloniki in Greece. And after that Celtic signed him.”

He is a very technical player, he is different. He has a good punch, he has a goal and he can play in up to three positions. He can play as a midfielder on the right, left or as a midfielder. Technically very good. He can make a difference on set pieces or long-distance shots. There are few players like him who have the framework well drawn in their heads. “Having players like that who are capable of scoring goals from 35 meters makes a difference.”

We are always in contact, but we don't talk about the game. We always talk about things about the club or the city. "I don't talk about football with other players."

Against Atlético, unfortunately, Celtic only managed one point. They were winning 2-1, a match that was difficult for Atlético. It was a very even match in which everyone knew how to manage their times. I think Celtic are competing at a high level and can get a positive result, because in football I believe anything can happen. In 2012 we took a 1-0 lead at the Camp Nou with a goal from Samaras against Barça, Iniesta tied and Jordi Alba scored in injury time. We were very close to beating them. These are situations in the game, and in football you don't know what can happen. I hope Celtic get the three points.”

I hope that Palma scores another goal and that Celtic wins... Football is about moments, if Celtic takes advantage of their moment from set pieces that have very tall people, they can win. I believe that these are moments in games when things go well and until the referee whistles the end you don't know what can happen. They are going to compete and I hope it can happen.”

I was studying different sports management courses, one of them in Spain with GM Football Academy, then in CONMEBOL and now I am as sports director in Motagua. At the time my dream was to play football for 20 years, I have fulfilled it and now I hope I achieve something similar as a sports director. At the moment I'm still studying. Now we are in charge of all categories from the U12 to the first team,” he confessed.

Both Manchester United and Liverpool asked about me, I was the best full-back in the Scottish League with about 20 assists. Many equipment offers came. Even my people told me at the beginning of the season not to play because I had already arranged with a team in England, but I broke my ankle and Celtic were great to me. They renewed my contract, and then I was so grateful to Celtic that I never wanted to leave the club,” he concluded.

Taz likes this.
  3. Cumbernauld Bhoy67

Just seen a photo of him with Palma in Honduras, he’s not looking too great looks about 50 year old and he’s only 37. Hope he’s well, a legend of the club.

4. Artorias

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    27f87730cb04204996f8de6be2e1fcf5.webp.jpg
    Think it's just the horrendous glasses and lighting.

5. celtic warrior

* love the man always happy to see his smile.

6. Crilly Hakuhna matata

Hopefully he treats us to another recommendation :giggle1: what a signing palmas been so far

7. Rydo1888* Moderator Moderator Gold Member

8. celtic warrior

He's coming home baby

9. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

10. BigWilly Free Palestine and Ukraine Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Willy
    The Legend is coming home

11. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Still only 37, feels like he was done physically when he left us and that feels like about 10 year ago.

12. dbhoy72

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley
    What a fullback he was, those first 2 years especially were outstanding.

13. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    Loved Izzy as a player as it is, he was like a metronome up and down that wing, this is him trying to get across to Palma the commitment needed for a club like Celtic. The last paragraph is beautiful.

Former Celtic hero Emilio Izaguirre, who helped sell the club to Palma last summer, said [Futbol Centro America]: “If you are a 200 per cent professional, you have to be 1,000 per cent. You have to learn to eat, sleep and train at 2,000 per cent because there you will find teammates who are more professional than you where you compete internally.

“Celtic are a very demanding team like their fans. If he’s not in the starting lineup, he’s missing something, they don’t leave anything out. Even in training there are cameras to see what everyone is doing.

“Something must be going on, and he should be worried because they do not spare anyone there. He is a great boy and player. Hopefully, this season, he will return to the starting lineup

You can’t get sick, get injured. When I got injured, they hired two left-backs. I trained and climbed a mountain to test myself, it’s a mental thing. I came back and took over the position. That’s the mentality that every athlete should have, you have to improve with hard work.”

https://www.talkceltic.net/forums/threads/emilio-izaguirre.113238/

14. greengrocer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby, Larsson, Lambert
    Was a top professional and a great player.

15. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

https://futbolcentroamerica.com/hon...mportantes-consejos-para-luis-palma-en-celtic

It is no secret that Luis Palma is going through an ordeal at Celtic Glasgow , a club where he went from being a star to losing his prominence, a situation that is worrying in Honduras and one who is no stranger to this situation is former player Emilio Izaguirre

The current sports director of Motagua is a legend in hoops, where he managed to establish himself and earn a place as a starter , thus winning several titles, so he took the time to talk about Palma's moment and gave a series of tips so that his compatriot can stand out

What do you think is happening to Luis Palma?

“It is very complex. I was not loaned out, I was a starter from the moment I arrived, but then I quickly understood everything. If you are a 200% professional , you have to be 1,000 percent. You have to learn to eat, sleep and train at 2,000 percent because there you will find teammates who are more professional than you, there where you compete internally.”

“ Celtic is a very demanding team, just like its fans. If he is not a starter , it means that something is missing. They don’t leave anything out. Even in training there are cameras to watch what everyone does. Something must be going on and he must be worried because they don’t forgive anyone, they focus on the fact that this opportunity could pass him by and hopefully not. He is a great lad and player. I hope he returns to the starting line-up this season .”

What advice can you give to Luis Palma?
    “ It is my turn to support him, it is up to us Hondurans. He represents us in Europe, he competes in the Champions League and that is great. If there are no Hondurans, now there are Panamanians and Costa Ricans. He cannot get sick, get injured… When I was injured, they hired two left backs. I trained and climbed a mountain to test myself, it is a mental thing. I came back and took ownership of the position. That is the mentality that every athlete must have, one must improve with work.

What can you say about coach Brendan Rodgers?
    “ I know him, I speak to him, I was with him for three years at Celtic , I am always there and ask for positive things . I hope that Luis takes all the instructions that are required by such a demanding team in Europe