1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    This aged well.

2. James Gold Member Gold Member

It's increasingly looking like he's been tapped up and was talking absolute * last week whilst this was basically agreed in the background.

3. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I still think it makes little sense for Ange to go to Tottenham. If he goes, it is his risk. We must then have a new manager.

4. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Exactly the model we should be aiming for.

I know Ajax, Benfica, Porto, Salzburg et al are way down the line on this model but this is exactly what we should be aiming for. I know they play in better league's than us and that has it's own appeal but they have already established themselves as a conveyor belt of talent for players and managers alike.

They don't worry about losing anyone. They already have the replacements lined up. We started to see that under Ange (see Johnston and Juranovic, among others). We need to prepare for the future continously. If that means creating new roles at the club to nurture that shift in thought, so be it.

5. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    Can’t disagree with that :50:

6. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Say whatever you want, he's still going.

Didn't manage to calm the fears enough to us panicking * with logic, did ye?

7. Living the dream

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnston
    It annoys me that he just needed to say he was going. This was decided days or maybe weeks ago and treating us like 5 year olds have a nice holiday bye

littlekennie and Mystic Penguin like this.
  8. DEADEYECFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    teemu pukki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    So today lol

Sent from my CPH2375 using Tapatalk

9. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Agents talk. All the time.

There's no point in agreeing something with a club when you don't know if a coach or player wants the move.

To a degree, tapping up happens in football. We do it. All clubs do.

I think we mean a great deal to him but this opportunity is too good to turn down.

Artorias likes this.
  10. jpr21

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgregor
    Fav Celtic Song:
    willie maley
    Remember it was reported a few months ago when conte left that Ange had told them to get back to him at end of the season after discussions at the time. All adds up.

11. Pearse67*

Hes defo been tapped up, all the pieces are falling into place.

Form suddenly fell of a cliff, rodgers suddenly appearing at a game, everyone here was asking questions and it looks like the reason is the agent was talking with spurs and ange was informed of it.

Its starting to leave a bit of a sour taste tbh.

12. EddieBhoy1986

I hope he at least had the decency to look the players in the eye and say good bye in person. Doubt it though his whole "keep my distance" thing is just emotional cowardice to avoid dealing with the tougher side of the game, quite happy to sook up all the praise and adulation though eh?

Left Cal to do most of his job in the dressing room too and I doubt even he would have got a proper goodbye.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  13. James Gold Member Gold Member

I agree to an extent but it's his words in the last week basically stating nothing had happened as his sole focus was on the final there is no chance the first contact was after the final. If he had come out last week and told the truth he would have got a proper send off at the weekend and probably still have more respect amongst us than he currently does

14. paulie walnuts Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    We’ve been a stepping stone for him.
    With the way this is panning out what makes you think we mean a great deal to him?

15. James Gold Member Gold Member

If you believe the noise he *first* meeting scheduled for today and had verbally agreed a deal by 25 past 8 with Daniel Levy of all people. I never bought in to the stuff about legacy and how long he would be here at the end of the day he can say all he wants but he has zero connection with us the issue for me was last week in the run up to the final

EddieBhoy1986 likes this.
  16. EddieBhoy1986

If he had just been straight up with us said "listen it's been an amazing two years and I've loved being here but it's time to see if I can take myself to the next level so I'll be looking elsewhere at the end of the season" He would be leaving with everyone's respect and would have got a great send off. Instead he lied and played us like a fiddle. Screwed over the club and fans who gave him a chance when no one else in Europe would. Fudd.

He could barely look Martin O'Neill in the eye on Saturday and no wonder knowing he was stood next to an actual legend (and not just a Celtic legend either) who conducted himself with honour.

Good luck to him I hope he falls flat on his face..

17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I'm finding it hard to believe we mean a great deal to him now tbh.

All of what he's said previously has in my view gone down the pan. It's a big opportunity for him and wish him the best but I'm sick of being fed * and managers using the fans and size of the club to their advantage.

Ultimately he's quoting Tommy burns last week whilst knowing his agent is manufacturing a move to Spurs. I mean cmon.

This has been in the background for weeks.

He's left in a less traumatic way than Rodgers but in the same way he's done us over a bit, tbh.

18. James Gold Member Gold Member

Also nice to see he likes to work on those 12 month rolling contract as he agrees to a 2/3 year deal with Spurs

19. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I'm not wanting to tarnish his time or overly claim he's been full of *.

On the whole he's been phenomenal for us and to me he goes down as a cult hero in the mould of Wim Jansen.

But, there is one or two things he's said which contradict what he does. Or things that have clearly been said to soften his arrival/smooth the fans over.

12month rolling contracts have been our thing since MON, with the exception of Rodgers renewing to a 4 year deal.
    He came in and claimed it wasn't because the club insisted it, it was because it's how he works, he wanted it.

Weird that he's taken a 3 year deal at spurs, considering they would surely rather the 12 month more than anyone, to save the need to pay compensation to him if they sack him.

But alas, what he's said is neither here nor there for me. It's what he done during his time here, that's been phenomenal.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

James likes this.
  20. KEANO1

It’s not an easy job for the new manager when appointed.

The draw for the Japanese players was AP, you can’t imagine they will look to hang around for long when he goes.

The new guy will likely have to replace kyogos 35 goals this year and potentially hatate. He is lumbered with a tour of Japan and Korea in the summer orchestrated by AP.

Too many things will feel related to him to any new appointment. They will look and need to put their own stamp on it which could see resistance from the support.

An attractive job, but there will be obstacles for the right man.