1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I think @Big Mick is being sarcastic. Not like him I know.

Winning our first league in a decade and halting OldCo is pretty legendary. And then to walk away on principle only adds to it for me.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  2. EddieBhoy1986

I would put Wim aheae of Ange. What he did in stopping them getting 10 (and though I hate to admit it that Rangers squad were exceptional) can not be overstated. Those 9 seasons when all we had was one Scottish Cup victory were brutal and Wim came in and saved us, brought Henrik with him too and he left not for a bigger pay cheque but because our board were at it and he wasn't willing to compromise on what he knew we could be.

NomDePlum and NakamuraTastic like this.
  3. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Ange "Let's not beat about the bush, I was a joke when I was appointed. A lot of people made fun of my appointment. But the supporters, for there own reasons put there collective arms around me and said, he's one of ours. While others may have mocked, they stood behind me."

Yet he has * off at the first concrete flash of a EPL garter. Leaving us with a team of his players all with 3 or more years (bar kyogo) on their deals, all his targets lined up for summer. Lawwell and Desmond faces today where unreal that will be the memory from today that will stick out.

Legend nah a cult hero now, off ye pop big man and if yer still at spurs by Christmas you have won a watch.

4. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Yes, don't see how that's controversial tbh.

5. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I can see why people out O’Neil above Strachan, even though I disagree with it but Lennon? Thats extremely controversial.

6. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    I actually think spurs would need relegated to to stop the problems their they need a great reset ange is an amazing manager but they would be a miracle too far too many players tied to huge contract to even contemplate gutting that squad which needs to happen they would need to sell lane that’s for sure and I don’t even think ange gets majority of this funds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Without a doubt.

Martin way out in front. Strachan and Lennon close managerially but Neil’s playing career with us puts him way above Strachan.

The_Bhoy and Zander like this.
  8. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    It's easy to disregard Lennon due to his calamitous last season with us, but I'd still have him ahead of Strachan, but only just.

If it wasn't for that season he'd be clear of Strachan tbh.

9. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    I wouldn't. Strachan won 3 leagues in a row and reached the last 16 twice at a time when we were downsizing

10. Bonobhoy

O'Neill pleading with him to stay lol.

Hammy89 likes this.
  11. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Plus Strachan called us Kestrel drinkers with devil dugs.

I was so shocked I dropped my can on the dugs heid.

12. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I don’t see that to be honest. The job Strachan done was far more impressive than anything Lennon or O’Neil done for me.

murphy88 likes this.
  13. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

Strachan was more a magician than a legend.

To have the success he did with the likes of Heid and Telfer was not of this world.

littlekennie likes this.
  14. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I’m not disregarding Lennon in any way. I just think Strachan is the most underrated manager we have had, within our own support.

The job he did, on a shoe string budget, while downsizing… doesn’t get talked about enough in my opinion.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  15. MacEwan Himmy Butler Gold Member

If he does leave, rank him however you want in terms on success.

He’s my favourite manager in my lifetime. A combination of the turnaround, the players bought, the success and the man himself.

16. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

ANGE Postecoglou tonight refused to commit his future to Celtic after leading the Parkhead club to a world record eighth domestic treble.

Postecoglou, whose team beat Inverness Caledonian Thistle 3-1 at Hampden today to lift the Scottish Cup, has been strongly linked with a summer move to Spurs in recent days.

The Greek-Australian stressed that he was only focused on celebrating the historic success with his players and coaching staff after overseeing a clean sweep of domestic silverware.

Asked if he would be at Celtic next season, Postecoglou said: “I anticipate enjoying this moment for the next 24, 48 hours, as long as I can, before somebody drags me away and takes my attention away from enjoying something that has been hard-earned.

“The reality of it is there’s probably players in that dressing room who won’t be here next year. That’s the nature of football.

But I want them to enjoy it. I’m going to enjoy it and that’s all I’m going to focus on until somebody grabs me by the collar and tells me that I have to answer certain questions.”

Asked if he had a message for Celtic fans who are worried he may leave for North London in the coming days, Postecoglou said: “I would say to them what I would say to the players – let’s enjoy this.

“I deserve to enjoy this, the people around me deserve to enjoy this. Whatever other people want to focus on and talk about, I am not going to miss enjoying this moment with this group of people.

But also I owe it to my family, my friends, those people closest to me. Everyone works hard and makes sacrifices to enjoy these moments.

“I understand that other people who aren’t invested in it want to ask these questions, but, for me, right now, the most important thing is that we reflect and just be in the moment of crowning something special

They (the fans) deserve to enjoy this moment because, irrespective of what happens in the future, why would you not want to enjoy this moment for what it is? It is something historic

17. CydonianWaffle

Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Lennon well below WGS as a manager, he’d have got the sack the first time around if they hadn’t went * up. WGS biggest crime was sticking around for an extra year.

18. stew37

Anyone with any actual real stuff tell me if it sounds like he's leaving? Sean, Notorious etc? Stopped in at the Ladywell for one and the time everyone was mwi.

19. kyndig

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Birthday card pish!

Blochairnbhoy likes this.
  20. stew37

I think he's staying.