1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

If a top 6 (atleast usually) prem team came for any of our players, they'd leave, thats the reality of it. Tierney and Larsson are the only senior people in the past 30+ years who've moved from here straight to more attractive proposition than Spurs given their money/stadium/standing in football over the past decade.

This move, if it goes through, will set Ange' kids up for life. I can't blame him for taking it at his age.

I'll be gutted, but I can't not see it happening now.

Hammy89 and PaddyJamieson like this.
  2. Sgt Neppers*

Cannae see Ange being happy with this happy under his watch, undermining him.

3. PaddyJamieson

Christ the Spurs fans really are * though arent they. Of all the teams for him to join.

4. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    We know I'm not buying in to the media talk really, but playing along with the narrative that Ange and Desmond had a big talk a couple weeks ago, mapping out next season and beyond for growth of the club.
    It begs two potential questions/outcomes.

1. If Ange is being purposefully skirting the chat about spurs, is he actually * off at Desmond and those chats? We've seen it all before, we give a manager a year or two of nice things, then tell them to reign it in. Is this at play again and Ange is keeping quiet while he works his way out?

2. Assume the talks went very well and we agreed to the talked about 30mill, lennoxtown upgrades, barrowfield etc etc is all true and positive. Then the club MUST continue down that route. Take the lessons learnt of years gone by and the positivity of these two seasons and go out and sign a manager that can continue this success and then some.
    Not your usual Moyes, brown, Lennon, Kean, sort of managers and links.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

greengrocer and Forestbhoy66 like this.
  5. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Let's keep from wishing him failure til surely we have at least a concrete source that says he's spoken to them.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

6. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    I keep seeing this mentioned and yeah the Spurs gig will surely eradicate poverty from the Postecolgue bloodline for a few generations but surely at his age and with his current CV he's probably already a millionaire. As someone who's financial achievements includes managing to pay off a £100 overdraft, I can't dane to imagine how one's money mind machinates when you've already got 7 figures in the bank, and all evidence would suggest that rich people can never get enough so there's that. But maybe, just maybe, Ange wants something more valuable than money - a timeless and irreplaceable place in the history books of Celtic Football Club 1888. Perhaps he is wise to the pitfalls of the English top-flight. Perhaps his uniquely Angian rag-tag of Celtic mavericks already hold a promise for him. A promise to hold aloft European silverware amidst an ocean of green and white ecstatcy. An electrified Glaswegian air etches the scene into the timeless annals of folklore.

wee green dug and NakamuraTastic like this.
  7. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    Yeah spot on. He's proper boned if he takes the gig.

8. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    In fairness, the mob on FF also think he shouldn't be allowed near a column!

9. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    £60m for 6 months, that can't be right. How can you even afford that?

10. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Phooooaaar! Stiffy time!

11. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    Here's a question for yous - if Ange left and down the line gets sacked by Spurs, would you take him back?

For me, yes. Next time around he would think twice about leaving and if he's got a Spurs coloured stain on his CV other EPL clubs would think twice, might get a good few years out of him

12. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    I looked it up because you're right, it does sound mental and the actual figure they (reportedly) paid him was £13 million.

That was because both parties supposedly came to an agreement - apparently if they'd had to buy out his contract in full it would have been £50 million, but maybe that never happens.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  13. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lol...put like that, it is flipping depressing!

14. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

He's probably he's pretty comfortable and well-off, I'm sure he's paid pretty well here too. But I don't think any of his jobs aside from us would pay him that highly.

Certainly not early in his career. A-League and Australia national team manager are probably good but relatively modest salaries for professional football. J-League, idk a few grand a week, might be wrong.

He also didn't have a lucrative playing career so whilst he may well be a millionaire, I'd imagine what he would make at Spurs would eclipse what he's made in the rest of his career to date combined.

It might not even register in his decision making, as he has his own footballing reasons I'm sure for being atleast interested I chatting to them.

15. Belgian_lad

Thats a tough one. But I think it would never be the same. If he touches the badge again whilst saluting us, would you think its sincere? I dont think I would not ‘trust’ him again.

for me if you are here and do a job like he did, amazing. But asa you touch the badge constantly, i expect loyalty. Which is probably naive of me.

16. horseshoe

Aye outlets reporting 50-60m are just going by the full value of his contract, but if that were the case he'd probably be put on gardening leave and not able to take up another job, much more likely they've came to a lower agreement so he can carry on with his career asap. Still a stupid amount of money to be getting paid out right enough.

17. Jukes

In my honest opinion Ange will not leave Celtic for at least another 2-3 years.

1. All the players he has signed over to Celtic are mostly on contracts of 3-4 years, which means he is trying to build something special and will be looking at that timeframe to achieve what he wants to achieve.

2. The best competition in the world is the Champions Leage. Why would you sacrifice that to go a club in England who lets face it is a middle tier club.

3. He will basically have to do another rebuild at Spurs in a fickle league, with fickle fans and especially fickle management. They wont have the patience to wait and will expect unrealistic results from the get go.

4. The fans at Celtic love him and he will be thriving in this football mad country. The spurs fans think he is beneath their club. They of course have it backwards.

5. Plenty of opportunities will open up in the premier league due to the nature of the competition and the ridiculous level managers need to "perform" at.

6. He will leave a legacy at Celtic, he will leave on his terms, he will leave Celtic in a much better position than he found it. He will leave when he is a Celtic legend and a manager that the fans will remember fondly for the rest of their lives.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2023
    Los Palmas 7 and NakamuraTastic like this.
  18. DEADEYECFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    teemu pukki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    No always feel once someone has left they should never return that's just me

Sent from my CPH2375 using Tapatalk

bhoy81, honda, MickeyyMack and 2 others like this.
  19. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    It's annoying me even more if we offered him a contract like that and him and his agent are hooring themselves to Spurs behind the clubs back

20. StevieBhoooy!

Would you take Rodgers back? :42: