1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Since Stein, have we ever had a manager so universally loved and backed by the support?

Definitely not in my lifetime.

2. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Neil Lennon is his second stint, imo

Zander likes this.
  3. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Ryan seems to be reviving his career a bit at Alkmaar. Wanted us to sign him when Ange came in but he ended up being second choice at Copenhagen for whatever reason.

Interesting one.

4. johnboy19

Fav Celtic Player:
    Billy McNeil and Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song and The Celtic Symphony
    Said the same thing yesterday BF. My dad would've loved Ange.

blackfish likes this.
  5. StrikeForceRed

i tried to suggest Mitch Langerak last season.

think he might be happy to stay where he is though

6. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I love him. That was a great read, cheers.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  7. JamesM09

Kennedy in his interim role IMO.

boylebhoy95 likes this.
  8. stirfry999

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate oreily kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    y n w a
    Touch of class

Rydo1888* likes this.
  9. stirfry999

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate oreily kyogo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    y n w a
  10. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    O’Neill for me. Certainly if you look at them across the same time frame.

11. TheHappyLoss

Yes think O’Neill and Tommy Burns were loved by all. Granted Tommy sadly didn’t have the success that Martin and Ange have brought

King of Kings likes this.
  12. Mr Cleansheets

There has never (to my mind) been an obsession with Australians. What there has been is knowledge of Australian players from people who watch the Australian league and would like to see them at Celtic. It's got nothing to do with them being Australian - it's got everything to do with them (in whatever poster's opinion) being good enough for Celtic and cheap.

Australian players (like Japanese players) are cheap. They do tend to need an adjustment period as the league conditions are so different, and anyone playing for Celtic will be amazed at the culture shock if they come from the other end of the football world - that needs adjusting too.

As for Mat Ryan, yes he's a great keeper with good ball skills (who will have nightmares forever about that screw up against Argentina and we lost by one goal). But I think he's pretty happy where he is after resurrecting his career (also heard he turned Ange down before we went for Hart). Can't see Langerak leaving Japan either but he would be brilliant for Celtic.

craigtheceltic likes this.
  13. Mr Cleansheets

And you'd only want the very best for Celtic. Hearts and St Mirren have got a handful of mainly fringe NT players - of those, only Kye Rowles is probably first team.

Aaron Mooy, on the other hand, is just about first picked if fit.

VT8 likes this.
  14. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

THERE’S a darker side to Ange Postecoglou that his back-to-back title-winners haven’t experienced.

A stern look they have yet to see.

Callum McGregor and Co have given him “the easiest job in the world” as Celticboss, so there’s been no need to raise his voice as they have lifted trophies.

But it’s there.

He got it from his old man a long time ago, and it’s still simmering inside of him just waiting to be used whenever the need arises.

Postecoglou said: “It has been said! Sometimes a stern look is all it takes, mate.

I learned that from my father. But I haven’t had to, not from that perspective.

“I want to make sure we are still evolving as a football team. I’ve got brilliant staff to help me and keep moulding this team.

But in terms of attitude and character, the way they embrace new players into this football club is outstanding.

“They welcome them as if they are welcoming them into their home.

“It’s just incredible to see guys coming from all over the world, and they feel like they are part of the family literally from the first day they arrive here.

“That is the environment and the culture they have created in there. They are a really close group in the right way.

“It doesn’t mean they all hang out together, because they are all at different stages of their lives — some are parents, some are single, some have different tastes and stuff.

That’s like any family, you want them to be themselves and to express themselves

But when it comes to the football club, and to the way we want to behave and represent ourselves, they are all totally aligned.”

Postecoglou can’t imagine anyone in his squad relaxing now the title is won.

He added: “That’s what I’m talking about. I don’t think that’s in my control, the players will do that themselves.

I know they will come in on Tuesday or Wednesday and they are going to train like they have all year.

“We’ll tackle these four games the way we’ve tackled everything else.

“We’ve got a cup final and the best way to prepare for that is to be in really good form.

“I’m sure they all want to play in the cup final, and they are only going to play if they are taking their opportunities.

“But we won’t change our approach now.

“The last four or five weeks you can feel the lads have kind of tightened up in the way we are playing, knowing what’s at stake. We haven’t been as free-flowing as we were earlier in the year. It’s understandable

And it’s felt like a long year because of the Champions League and then the World Cup break.

“But I’m in no doubt that in the next training session they will be out there working as hard as they always have.

“There is a relentless nature to them. I haven’t felt like I’ve needed to intervene to get them going or motivate them.

“They have obviously been motivated by something within this club, or something within their own group, which makes them come in every day and disregard what has happened before.

Instead, they look at the next challenge and make sure they are ready for that.

“The standard they have set this year has been unbelievable. To be so consistent in their performances, scoring goals, it’s incredible.”

Celtic have been far and away the best team in Scotland these past two seasons and it begs the question — how do they get better?

Postecoglou added: “You can always improve, that’s my role. A lot of these guys are still young in terms of their football careers.

I think there is improvement in us as a group.

“The experiences we’ve had this year, whether that is in Europe or domestically, make us stronger.

“It’s what I said at the end of last year — if we stand still, if we come out next year as the same team we were this year, there is always the chance that somebody can overtake you.

“We can’t let that happen. We have to push on and make sure we become a better team.

“Results-wise that will be awfully difficult because it has just been an incredible standard, but in terms of the football there is always room for improvement.”

There will be changes at Celtic this summer.

Players will come in but some will also go — maybe even stars that the Hoops supporters idolise.

Postecoglou said: “It’s always a possibility. But there are different decisions you make around players.

“Sometimes players feel a desire to move on and it works well for the club.

“We are always going to do what’s best for the club. It’s got to marry with what we are trying to achieve

But I think what we have shown is that, whether it’s absences through injury or through people leaving Celtic, we are still strong enough to be able to tackle the tasks ahead.”

But don’t expect Postecoglou to give game time to those players on the fringes of the squad in the final four games just for the sake of it.

That’s not his style of management.

He added: “We want to win. I’m going to put teams out to win. That’s it.

“And the guys respect that, that’s what they want. They don’t want to be given anything they want to earn everything they get.

If they play they will play because they have earned it.

“If I make decisions that go away from that there will be other guys asking questions as to why they are not playing.”

Ange Postecoglou has warned rivals eyeing Celtic’s Scottish Premiership crown his side will be even stronger next season.

The Hoops wrapped up the title at the weekend with four games to spare and can set a new points record with a clean sweep in their remaining matches. Postecoglou is savouring back-to-back championship success – but vowed he won’t be resting on his laurels.

The Parkhead boss is already plotting his summer recruitment drive to hammer home his club’s domination on the home front. Postecoglou said: “You can always improve. That’s my role. A lot of these guys are still young in terms of their football careers. I think there is improvement in us as a group. The experiences we’ve had this year, whether that is in Europe or domestically, make us stronger. It will be our task to make sure. It’s what I said at the end of last year: if we stand still, if we come out next year as the same team we were this year there is always the chance that somebody can overtake you. We can’t let that happen.

“We have to push on and make sure we become a better team. Results-wise that will be awfully difficult because it has just been an incredible standard, but in terms of the football there is always room for improvement.”

Postecgolou admitted earlier in the season there could be big name departures as well as new arrivals. He still believes that could be the case with several of his top men attracting attention from all around the globe.

But Postecoglou is unfazed about the prospect of stars leaving as he is confident in the club’s ability to keep unearthing gems from all over the planet. The Celtic gaffer said: “It’s always a possibility. But there are different decisions you make around players. Sometimes players feel a desire to move on and it works well for the club.

“We are always going to do what’s best for the football club. It’s got to marry with what we are trying to achieve. But I think what we have shown is that whether it’s absences through injury or through people leaving the club, we are still strong enough to be able to tackle the tasks ahead.”

Postecoglou has an eye on the summer but won’t let up in the remainder of this season with records to aim for and a Scottish Cup Final against Inverness Caley Thistle on the horizon.

There is also Saturday’s Old Firm clash against Rangers – where the Hoops boss will demand another statement. He said: “We want to win, mate. I’m going to put teams out to win. That’s it. And the guys respect that, that’s what they want. They don’t want to be given anything they want to earn everything they get.

"If they play they will play because they have earned it. If I make decisions that go away from that there will be other guys asking questions as to why they’re not playing.

“I think the last four or five weeks you can feel the lads have kind of tightened up in the way we are playing, knowing what’s at stake. We haven’t been as free-flowing as we were earlier in the year, which is understandable. And it’s felt like a long year because of the Champions League and the World Cup break. But I’m in no doubt that in the next training session they will be out there working as hard as they always have.”

Postecoglou will, however, need to assess the fitness of striker Kyogo ahead of the Light Blues clash.

The 30-goal hitman aggravated a long-standing shoulder problem when he notched the opener in the win against Hearts on Sunday. The injury didn’t prevent the Japanese fans favourite from joining in with the celebrations but will need treatment going into the weekend.

Postecoglou said: “He hurt his shoulder a little bit. Hopefully it’s not too bad. Obviously he’s had a few issues with it. We will just see and speak to the physios.”

Last edited: May 8, 2023
  15. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
  16. Ziggy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mjallby
    I remember the feeling of utter despair I had when the Howe deal collapsed then the news broke about Ange. Feel like a right * about it

17. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Ach I wouldn't blame you. Most of us felt the same because it was a time of real uncertainty, after an absolutely horrible season.

18. paulie walnuts Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Neil lennon
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just cant get enough
    It was the board that looked like right dicks with the way the Howe deal collapsed.
    Think we were all gutted and actually think Howe would have done a good job- just not as good as Ange.

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  19. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    I was like..oh * - then my Aussie mate in Brisbane went..no he's a great manager - and then Ange got off to that bad start and I was like errrr you sure mate and he was trust me........and the rest is history lol

VT8 likes this.
  20. The big Viduka

Fav Celtic Player:
    Mark Viduka
    Looks like another notch in Ange's belt when Beale gets the *