1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny McGrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Jotas haircut has a bit of the Ozzie Rules about it too.

2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    The rat Rogders would photoshop a smudge with Puskas and tell everyone that the great man was walking by and chapped the door..

3. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

4. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

5. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Ange Postecoglou has explained why he won't hand Celtic kids minutes on the pitch unless he feels they've earned them.

The manager knows his side sit just one victory away from securing the Premiership title and can do so away to Hearts this weekend. That leaves five fixtures in the campaign remaining after that Gorgie clash with a large squad to try and accommodate. But the manager insists he won't just hand out appearances for the younger players for the sake of it.

He has brought on the likes of Rocco Vata and Bosun Lawal this season and there are some youngsters training with the first-team. But even if they win the league this weekend the Australian insists he wants the academy breakouts to earn their spot like everyone else.

"My approach is always that every game is an opportunity for us to perform and keep improving," he said when asked if he'll blood some youngsters when the title is sealed mathematically.

"I'm not a fan of just giving games to players for some sort of ceremonial thing, everything's got to be earned.

"We've had Rocco, Benny Summers, Bosun Lawal training with us and they've had some game time because they've earned it, not because I feel like I need to give them reward. Everything they get from us they've got to earn. They're training with us, the three young boys, and it's not just them there's others

It's very competitive and that's what's got us to where we are right now. If I give somebody a game I better have some pretty compelling reasons to do it because there'll be someone who's not playing who will want to know wh

Liam Scales likes this.
  6. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

'I don't like these things being messed about': Celtic boss shows his traditionalist side and provides key update
    Celtic manager Ange Postecoglou has lamented the meddling with tradition that he sees as inherent in the kick-off time change for his club’s Scottish Cup final with Inverness Caledonian Thistle on June

For the first occasion in the 150-year history of the competition, the initial staging of the showpiece will have a 5.30pm start after the usual 3pm slot was shelved to avoid a clash with the FA Cup decider between Manchester City and Manchester United. The SFA’s decision to switch to the evening, believed to be pushed by the BBC who are screening both finals, has provoked outcry from the Scottish football public and the competing clubs, with objections raised both on a point of principle, and over the travel arrangement issues created for supporters travelling from the Highlands and overseas. The Australian considers the switch as regrettable on all fronts.

“The Scottish Cup is one of those prestigious competitions, it ends the season at a certain date, at a certain time,” Postecoglou said. “I’m a traditionalist in a lot of those things, I love them because they provide historical context for why it is played on the last day, and at that time. I’m not too involved in the logistics for supporters, but for the Inverness supporters it is more of a challenge. I would loved to have had it as it was; I don’t like these things being messed about. But at the end of the day, that is the decision and we just have to get on it and make sure we play our football.”

As Celtic head to Tynecastle on Sunday looking to wrap up the title that will see them head to Hampden seeking to complete a treble, Postecoglou has not written off the possibility that he will have right-back Alistair Johnston fit for the final. The Canadian was left celebrating in a moonboot and with crutches following a foot problem that forced him off during his team’s success over Rangers in last weekend’s semi-final. However, while the Celtic manager described the injury as “significant”, it has not been deemed campaign-ending. “We are still hopeful he will play some part before the end of season, though it is a kind-of week by week thing and we have to make a decision as we go along,” the 57-year-old said. “The medical team are still hopeful he might play a part.”

Meanwhile, contrary to reports earlier this week, centre-back Cameron Carter-Vickers is on course to be returned to full health in time for pre-season having delayed surgery on a long-standing knee issue to play a crucial role in Sunday’s derby victory, which is why no consideration was given to the US international playing on while the title was still live, according to Postecoglou.

“With Cameron it was a case of how early he had the surgery,” said the Celtic manager. “He has already had it, and it all went well, and the earlier he did the better chance he had of being ready for the start of next season. At the same time he was really keen to be involved up until last weekend with such a big game, and in terms of what it meant for our season as a semi-final. I was really guided by him in the end, he was the one to tell us when the right time was. But he was never going to go beyond last weekend because I want to make sure he is right for the start of the season so for us it is a good outcome.”

Liam Scales and Montero like this.
  7. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic boss Ange Postecoglou has his say on immigrant picture of him from 52 years ago

An evocative black-and-white photo of Celtic manager Ange Postecoglou has been doing the rounds online this week.

The picture shows him as a five-year-old, holding up his immigration number 24, on entering Australia after leaving behind his Greek homeland. The now 57-year-old as the outsider who would go on to become embedded in the cultural life of his adopted home has been replayed in his professional existence in Japan, and now Scotland, where an adoring Celtic support now treat him very much as one of their own. That many modern-day migrants are not so well received does not appear to be lost on the Greek-Australian.

“That is the story of many immigrants, mate, I’m not alone,” said the Celtic manager of the snapshot of humanity in one simple image. “We were a family who had to leave everything behind and arrive in a new country with nothing and those are the sacrifices my parents made. And what I have tried to do is honour them. There is a story there which a lot of people can relate to … being an immigrant, being displaced, you can still contribute and add to any nation that adopts you. I’d like to think I’ve done that every country I’ve been.

I was born in Greece, I’m very proud of that, I grew up in Australia, I’m proud of that. More importantly, I have tried to make a contribution wherever I have been. My family were given an opportunity in a new country to start a new life. It is 1970 so it goes to show you. Look, I can’t remember that time. All the memories I have of them are through seeing photos. And I often see pictures today of young immigrant children arriving, very similar types of photos, and you understand what they are going through, and it tugs at you.”

8. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Ange Postecoglou says Celtic have stolen a march on rival clubs when it comes to signing Asia’s top talent.

The Parkhead gaffer has already snared Kyogo Furuhashi, Daizen Maeda, Reo Hatate, Tomoki Iwata, Yuki Kobayashi and Hyeon-gyu Oh from Japan and South Korea respectively. And Postecoglou says their positive experience in Glasgow will help Celtic entice more stars from the Far East. Also, the Hoops boss is convinced the club’s summer tour in Asia - which was confirmed last week - will only broaden their reach when it comes to attracting the best players from that part of the world.

The likes of Hearts and Motherwell signed players from Japan this season after seeing the success Celtic had exploring that market. And Hibs’ new director of football, Brian McDermott, has vowed to find the new Kyogo in his role at Easter Road. But Postecoglou has warned other clubs that if they want to pluck top players from Japan in particular - Celtic will be ahead of them in the queue

The manager, who spent three years in the J-League with Yokohama Marinos before arriving in Scotland, was asked if he has a head start in that department and said: “I think it definitely helps us.

“Not just because we are signing players and giving them an opportunity. But the players’ experiences here help.

“The best feedback you can get in life is from a person who is already involved. All the players who have come here have appreciated how welcoming everyone is and how the club has looked after them.

They have enjoyed their time in the city and how the supporters have embraced them. That is better ammunition for us in terms of selling who we are, than us just trying to tell people what we can provide.

It’s coming straight from the people involved and I think that’s been tremendously helpful for us. It’s a market that will become more and more competitive, no doubt.

“It is already competitive. So having trust there from people already here is enormously helpful for us.”

Celtic will spend a week in Japan and Korea during pre-season, playing games ahead of the new Premiership campaign. The tour of the Far East is sure to add to the club’s global fanbase and increase their popularity in a football-mad continent.

Postecoglou is delighted to be returning after his successful stint at Yokohama. And he’s adamant that, commercially, it will be hugely beneficial for Celtic.

He said: “I’m pleased about it for personal reasons. I was delighted with the recent Australia trip and I am delighted with the Japan trip.

“Obviously I spent four years there and, knowing the country really well and a lot of people there, it’s great. But I think more importantly, this football club gets to broaden its reach. Obviously with our recruiting in the last 18 months or so mainly in Japan but also in Korea now - there is great interest in our football club.

We want that to grow. We want to create millions more Celtic supporters and I think our presence there, I know in Japan in particular but in Korea as well, will be greatly appreciated.

“We will put back in as much as we get from these trips by giving the opportunity to show people just how much we appreciate their support in these countries.

And we will also give back to them in terms of developing their footballers and giving them new experiences as well.

I’m really looking forward to it, it will be a great trip. They have fantastic facilities, fantastic support, and great teams to play against.

“I think the players will enjoy it as well

9. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    This is going to be huge for our club in many ways. What a find this man was for us :100:

10. blackfish Screaming from beneath the waves...

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I love Ange. Our club over the years has often lacked class and decorum with idiots mouthing off or simply doing the wrong things (I aim that barb principally at those in charge). This man alone is the greatest asset Celtic have had in decades.

This man should be offered a pen to write his own terms and conditions on a job for life.

11. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    See that horrible bint Karen Brady has done a full news paper article on Ange today.

I know many contracts arnt worth the paper they are written on but the fact Ange hasnt been given a long term contract gives me the absolute fear.

2 conclusion are;

1 he's been offered one and he's not interested; because as * useless as our board are surely they aren't that stupid to have not offered him one by now.

2 they are that * useless and havnt offered him one

12. blackfish Screaming from beneath the waves...

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    In an industry full of back stabbing opportunists and self preservation artists, Ange has principles and will not leave to go to that fake cesspit that is the EPL.

Greedy owners, unrealistic fan bases and the fake construct that the league is. He will determine his own timeline with us and return to Australia to enjoy retirement a wealthy and contented man when he feels the time is right.

13. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Wish I shared your faith :giggle1:

Ange is clearly an ambitious guy and will eventually leave to go to a bigger league, imo. He’ll do so with my best wishes when he does.

Some big clubs will already have taken notice of his work here, and if he makes inroads in Europe next season his stock will be very, very high.

Liam Scales and Danny 4692 like this.
  14. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    Yeah I think it's inevitable he will leave someday but I'm 100% sure he won't shaft us like Brenda. It will also be for a really big club or project.

I'm not sure his brand of football would survive at a club that isn't one of the best in the league like us. Look at Bielsa at Leeds, Great brand but too open for that league, could happen an Ange team. I think he'd do well in La Liga.. saying that I don't think his Japanese outfit were one of the big clubs there..

15. Danny 4692

Fav Celtic Player:
    Hatate
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can't get enough
    I'm sure Yokohama hadn't won the title in over 15 years until he came along. Brisbane Roar were fighting relegation before he joined them and won the league unbeaten with them. Won Austrailia their first ever Asia Cup. Those achievements don't get spoken about enough.

16. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    True.. I think how well we perform in Europe will go a long way to determine his future. If he's backed and so far he has been and we do well in Europe it might be hard to walk away from a club and fan base that absolutely adore him.. I'd hate to see him go South

17. FrankMcCallum

I take it it’s Christmas 2023 he’ll be sacked by then?

I’m daft as * man I thought it was Christmas 2021 but I’ve probably read it wrong.

18. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    The real King :ange2:

blackfish, FrenchCelt and Wllm like this.
  19. Rydo1888* Moderator Moderator Gold Member

20. bhoy81

from parkhead glasgow but now live in merseyside
    What a guy!