1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Joe Hart

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Callum McGregor, Aug 3, 2021.

Discuss Joe Hart in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Taylor1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I don't think many goalkeepers woudl have saved the free kick to be honest, but some would have had a good attempt at it. Hart done neither.

Hart's feet were planted to his line, instead of being up on his pins and active along his line.That would have gave him a decent chance of getting there and tipping it over the bar.

The second goal I thought he was poor at it. Again his feet planted on his line and not moving from the spot.The cross was moving slow enough for the goalkeeper to come out and attack the ball, and punch it away, or at the least to have distracted Tavernier. He made it too easy for Tavpen.

A new goalkeeper in the summer is a must, and I am sure Ange is on it already.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2023
  2. Slaw

I’ve been in the “new keeper camp” for quite a while now but didn’t think Hart did much wrong Saturday. A point blank header into the ground and a free kick off the underside of the crossbar. I still want a new keeper though.

3. Slaw

I wonder will Hart want to finish his career here as a back-up/gradually turned-coach?

4. gazb1888

I personally thought his positioning was awful for him he free kick. It was a good strike but a decent keeper should be saving that as it wasn’t even near the corner of the goal.. plus he’s not great at crosses which is all SEVCO can do against us. I’d like a decent keeper in to at least challenge next season

martin_d, Taylor1 and Slaw like this.
  5. Twisty Champions Again !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Mmmm yeaahhhh

Liam Scales likes this.
  6. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Joe Hart relaxed on Celtic future as he answers queries over new deal with club
    Joe Hart has clearly found contentment at Celtic Park. Before moving to Glasgow, first-team football was hard to come by, warming the bench at Spurs and Burnley. Now he is a wanted man, a key part of a successful team dressing-room.

Before Hart’s arrival, Celtic did not have their problems to seek in goal either. Greek internationalist Vasilis Barkas was wholly unconvincing as the club failed to defend the Premiership title in season 2020/21, while Scott Bain and Conor Hazard failed to deputise sufficiently either.

Hart is a humungous upgrade on all three and it is not inconceivable that his stay at Celtic could be extended beyond the expiry of his contract in the summer of 2024. By that point he would be 37-years-old, still a good age for a keeper, but Hart is neither fretting about his future or taking anything for granted. Ahead of today’s league match away at Kilmarnock, he is enjoying the moment.

I still have another year on my contract, so I don’t really feel that conversation needs to be had,” said Hart. “I’m in a special part of my career where I’m not chasing a contract or worrying about negotiations. It’s not really where I’m at. I’m just loving being part of the football and what will be will be. Conversations like that will probably happen when they need to be had but I don’t need to be knocking doors down and I certainly don’t expect people to be badgering me.”

The role of a goalkeeper in such a winning machine like Celtic is often overlooked. Hart does not have a heap of saves to make each week but it has been well-documented by manager Ange Postecoglou and the rest of the Celtic squad how important his attributes off the pitch are. He is vice-captain to skipper Callum McGregor, inset, and the former Manchester City stopper takes that part of his role at Celtic very seriously.

“Stuff like that means a lot because it’s the kind of thing I like to be associated with,” Hart said of the warm words from both manager and team-mates. “I’m pretty genuine. Cal is obviously an unreal player and a superb captain. He has stepped into a role where he has had huge boots to fill and he has not even tried to fill them – he has gone in his own direction and done a great job.

I let him know straight from the off – if he needed anything from me that I would be right by his side and ready to help. Hopefully that combination has worked but you would be in a minority here if you don’t come in and want to give your best every day. I love it here. I couldn’t be any prouder to be part of this team, this club and this city. I’m really honoured to put the badge on and work for Celtic Football Club.”

Given the high esteem he is held in by Postecoglou and his Celtic team-mates, it is not out of the question that the former England No 1 could end his career at Celtic. Not that he is seeing that as a certainty. “Of course it’s a possibility but this is a club that is forever trying to move forward and push on,” Hart responded.

“We’ll see. I haven’t actually given it much thought and I don’t know if the cub has. They are a business so they are always going to be thinking about the future. Like I say, I am in a real privileged position to be enjoying every day as it comes and trying to give my best.”

7. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Guy just oozes professionalism and class.

Really hope he stays on after his contract as a coach.

In terms of a replacement, to actually buy a new keeper who will make the position his own, it's gonna cost a fair chunk of change.
    Look at what we had to pay for Barkas ffs.

I'd say Ange is more than happy not allocating so much of his budget to the position this summer.

What I can see , is another Hart like signing, picking up a 30-35 year old keeper who is warming the bench at the EPL, looking to play first team.

8. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

He’s just brilliant think having him in had massively made a difference with the younger players.

And I feel he could end up here for another 2 or 3 years if he wants to

NakamuraTastic and Rydo1888* like this.
  9. Big C

This guy has been some signing!! A great professional and also seems a decent guy. I have to hold my hands up and say I was suckered in by the press and thought he was a *. How wrong was I!!!!

10. Garrymac1888 Gold Member Gold Member

What a guy to have in the trenches! Genius addition.

NakamuraTastic, stew37 and Rydo1888* like this.
  11. Rydo1888* Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Love the guy

Crazy as I used to dislike him :56:

12. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Clearly his leadership abilities and off the field attributes are massively respected within the club and rightly so. He also comes over as a very genuine and class act as a person. He has been a very good keeper for us since he stepped in between the sticks at the start of last season and while it is a position if the right opportunity came along we might be able to bring in someone new who could improve the team it is going to be very hard to find as Hart offers so much to the team on and off the field still.

13. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    Fraser Foster ???

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  14. Dan Breen

Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I get all the nice guy, leadership, class act, etc but bottom line, its an area where we should be looking to upgrade.

15. Leone Naka Fan

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura, Moravčik, Petrov, Ki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Hahaha, that would be something. At least better than Hugo Lloris.

16. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I like him, little flaws in his game and all.

I'd honestly give seigrist a proper chance before we go splashing out more money.

If he's good enough/better, then he takes the number one shirt and we maybe get Hart to sign on again knowing he's becoming the backup.

If seigrist isn't up to it, then I think Hart still has enough in him for a few more years (assuming his ability doesn't fall off a cliff any time soon). I'd then look to being in a mid 20s guy to work under him and look to take over long term.

It's that, or we end up getting rid of both keepers and needing to buy another Hart (over 30 looking to find first team football) and a backup we hope fan improve in time.

As for his comments and interview, he really is a class act. I'd second comments to hope he stays on and could become a coach. He's found a home here.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Dan Breen likes this.
  17. stew37

I'd definitely be offering Joe a new deal, no question.

greengrocer and Rydo1888* like this.
  18. Celtic_Daft1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Broad Black Brimmer
    I'm more than happy to let him see out the remainder of his contract. He's a good goalkeeper with some flaws but I like him. That being said, we do need to upgrade on him and there are many goalkeepers out there we could pick up for dirt cheap and they'll be younger and as good.

The Dutch number 1, Noppert, who is a cracking goalkeeper in his own right, is out of contract for Herenveen in 2024. We could get him on the cheap. Good goalkeepers are out there, we just need to find them.

19. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Decent save today actually.

Dan Breen likes this.
  20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Maybe being slightly harsh but the initial save for their goal i thought laid it back on a plate..

Possibly able to hold but palmed it straight back to them..