1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Daizen Maeda

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Callum McGregor, Dec 31, 2021.

Discuss Daizen Maeda in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. oh bhoy

perhaps the constant choping and changing has affected him ,being in and out of the team on the left or the right .he may just need a run of games in the 1 position to recapture a bit of form

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  2. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Ange Postecoglou insists Daizen Maeda did the job asked of him but admits the Japanese star needs to learn to improve his end product at Celtic.

The forward played wide on the left against RB Leipzig and missed a big chance early on and then fluffed his lines when he had the chance to deliver the ball into the box despite having acres of space to run into. But Postecoglouinsists he won't scrap playing Maeda and reckons the majority of the Celtic team are a work in progress, particularly at Champions League level.

But he insists he will persevere with Maeda and the rest of his misfiring forwards and he insisted the 24-year-old was 'outstanding' defensively against the German outfit and just wants him to add more going forward.

He said: “It is just perseverance. I know people look at the end product and he (Maeda) was a bit unlucky on a couple of occasions on Tuesday night. He does put in an enormous work-rate.

But he’s got to learn the other side of the game which is really important in terms of finishing and the end product. He keeps getting into those positions. In every game he does, but goals are sort of eluding him. But again we can’t just sort of scrap him because he is not the finished product either.

3. EddieBhoy1986

He did give Taylor a lot of support and tracked back consistently, out muscling bigger players on more than one occasion.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2022
    NakamuraTastic likes this.
  4. avitar Gold Member Gold Member

What are people expecting here I mean we signed the 2nd top goal scorer in the j league for under 2million and now play him out of position he has an unreal engine and pace if he also had amazing technical skills and end product he wouldn't have cost 1.7million

5. horseshoe

He mostly played as a winger under Ange at Yokohama, so we're not really playing him out of position. I'm a big fan of the guy but he's not a natural finisher and I doubt he ever will be, think people need to get the 'top scorer' label out of their head, he'll probably be good for double digits for us most seasons with the amount of chances his workrate makes, but 22 goals in his last season in japan looks like a real blip, he only managed about half a dozen the season before.

6. Lewis Kerr

After his first 3 or 4 games I think it was obvious he wasn't going to be this goal machine that was described in the J League.

I think what has taken us by surprise is how poor technically he is and that he isn't as fast as made out. He's quick off the ball, but rarely beats his man for sheer pace. Abada is much faster than him or at least uses his pace better.

When Maeda is in this form he isn't a goal threat, can't beat players, not particularly creative and is pretty poor at linking the play. Those are all the qualities you want from your winger and he has none of them.

avitar likes this.
  7. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    What worries me is that i dont think that it has something to do with form when it comes to Maeda. He's just not that good. Abada is not performing much better at the moment, but that has to do with form, and he also has much development in him which i highly doubt Maeda does. Just to give a comparisson.

He is a decent squad player though, and one that can be used effectively in some games.

8. Al Bootyerbaws

He's bang average and we need better. He's the whipping boy just now for a reason, he sticks out like a sore thumb most games and not for the right reasons. Hope to * he sticks one in the net or sets a goal or two up the mora because he needs it.

9. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Maybe so but * about with coaches can sometimes pull the wheels off momentum dressing room went to * when duff left is an example

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. DonnyCelt

Right Daizen, if the gaffer starts you for this then you better start showing your worth. No more missing sitters or your history. Got it pal?

11. horseshoe

He's always going to miss sitters, it's everyone else missing them the last few weeks that worries me.

12. Hope N Ur Heart

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone followed closely by Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Them all!!
    Simples.....we go out and get a striker 15 foot tall to get onto the Daizen crosses:39:

13. Hope N Ur Heart

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jimmy Johnstone followed closely by Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Them all!!
    I watch him when the squad are limbering up just before kick off.He practices his crosses into the box and I must say he can hit a good cross into the danger area.
    Its just a problem when the game starts:fear:

He is never going to be a silky player,but I like him and believe he will hit a purple patch at some point during the season...hopefully during the 90 min:celt_2:

14. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    I thought he was going to score quite a few goals this season, perhaps in the 10-15 range. Not because I expected huge leaps in his finishing or technique but more due the positions he gets himself into. Typically quite a few of our goals come from the wingers attacking the far post, so over the course of a season I expected a healthy return from him bumbling goals over the line like he did a number of times last season just from getting into the right place. Hopefully we'll start to see more of that as the team gets back to playing to the standard we're capable of, which I don't think we've seen since the first half against Madrid.

As for his crossing, it can be inconsistent and downright wild at times, but it can also be dangerous. He put in a good cross for Kyogo away to Leipzig, set up Jota's goal in the final match against the Huns last season and also assisted Jota and Kyogo earlier this season. He'll never be the most technically gifted, but when in form he can be quite effective.

Callum McGregor likes this.
  15. avitar Gold Member Gold Member

Personally I think his energy and pressing is worth the fee alone at 24 we can improve him I think he is a top player

16. littlekennie

Fav Celtic Player:
    nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    Guys an enigma scores some of the harder chances

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. G40B

It was the LB holding our left wingers back. Bernabei has them back firing.

18. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Absolutely delighted for Daizen, that’ll do him the world of good.

19. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    He desperately needed that I think, his reaction seemed like pure relief

20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Massively needed..

Good finish as well..

Looked hungrier to be honest..