1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

John Kennedy

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by LectersLuncheon, May 15, 2016.

Discuss John Kennedy in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    It was in an interview after a game. Can’t remember what one but he said it wasn’t his area, Kennedy takes care of it, then gave it the ‘I’m the manager though so need to take the blame’

2. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Can't remember it.

In any case, regardless of whether or not he's always been in charge of set pieces, he's been the common thread here for years in the coaching set up and we've been brutal at set pieces for * knows how long. He's not blameless.

3. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Nah he’s not blameless, but the biggest thing we’ve had in common whilst he’s been a coach is we’ve been an absolute juggernaut at winning trophies.

4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

I'd mainly put that down to Brendan Rodgers, in fairness.

5. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Obviously he was a major part of it and the biggest reason, it’s always done to the manager at the end of the day, but he’s undoubtedly played his part. Rodgers has 7 trophies at Celtic. Kennedy has 9 honours as a coach without Rodgers being there at all, and by all accounts the 5 we won under Lenny was a lot of heavy lifting being done by the coaching staff at the time.

6. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Currently: Ajer. Historically: Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    Surely he has some input on it or should have. What is is role then? What does he do?
    To me, he’s a bad smell who won’t go away. Him and laptop are as much to blame as Lenny last year. Irrespective of what Ange thinks, that’s my view. They two * got off scot free.
    Look what happened when he ‘took over’. Every man and their dug could see some simple things to try. He done none of that. Not even try as the league was already lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

martin_d and seanm like this.
  7. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    Fair enough. Agree with that. But we still look shakey at defending. Even now. Tbf Ange had spoken about the whole risk /reward mantra so it may never change. But defending set pieces should be simple enough to organise.

seanm likes this.
  8. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    Ange may have no option in that regard. We all know that was the most broadcast reason Howe refused us, whether true or not.
    If JK is that good why has BR not taken him to Leicester? Or even speculation in papers that he’s a wanted man? Coz I fail to believe he is as influential or important as others make out him to be. Arguably I and many will never know as we’re not within the inner workings of our team.
    But I saw last year he was a large part of our failings and should’ve been punted as a result.

seanm likes this.
  9. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

So his fault last year means he gets credit for the quadruple treble and the way we are playing this season? That’s how it works right?

Or is it only his fault when we are pish and nothing to do with him when we are good?

10. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    So by that logic he’s as much credit in his 16 trophies he’s won as a coach at Celtic, if he’s equally culpable for last season as well?

He’s our assistant manager mate.

Sean Daleer likes this.
  11. Big els

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    I wanna be Edouard
    Jesus wept. It appears some folks are so blind. Almost every man and their dug was saying he should’ve went in the summer. What’s different?
    If you want to argue he was good in the past and deserves praise, fair enough, praise is due and well done him. He is still part of the mistake our board made last year. He has out stayed his welcome like Lennon but because his head is not above the parapet he slinks by. His input last year was tantamount to get the sack but it never materialised.
    * should still go. Even if we win the conference league and the treble.
    Don’t like him and don’t think he brings anything of significant value to the team.
    “Jobs for the boys” is a phrase we all know and one in which many think we are run. Case in point. Why is he still here? Because Ange wants him? Or has that been forced upon him?

Many coaches and managers have done good in the past but eventually it comes to pass that enough is enough. That’s my feelings on JK.
    Change please. And many of us were banging on for a proper clear out in June.

LectersLuncheon, martin_d and seanm like this.
  12. seanm

And take strachan and that * laptop too please.HH

Keano88, martin_d and Big els like this.
  13. seanm

Great post.HH

martin_d likes this.
  14. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

John Kennedy clearly fingered some amount of folks missus'

Damnati, Liam Scales and King Kwon like this.
  15. SwissCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Aiden McGeady, Artur Boruc
    If he is as innovative in training as he was as the caretaker manager last season he's *

Can't know for sure but I believe there would have been signs we can all see if he was such a fantastic coach. E.g. more job offers or that he went with Rodgers.

Think we can do better than him an Strachan. Hopefully Ange gets his men in in the summer!

martin_d likes this.
  16. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    I trust Ange with this imo. If he backs Kennedy then Kennedy has backing from me.

I would like to see more transparency and accountability at the club however, and that includes the coaching setup. I’m not asking for these guys to stand up at the AGM, but give us some insight as to what Kennedy and Strachan are actually tasked with doing that’s goes beyond vague buzzwords and job titles.

Twisty, Liam Scales, Big els and 2 others like this.
  17. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    This was what Ajer had to say about him:

“John Kennedy is someone I am extremely close to. He is so good at developing young players, with the way he took care of me.

“There are difficult spells when you play football. You play bad games and, especially in a place like Glasgow, it can be quite tough.

“But he’s a guy that took care of me so well.

He spent days off helping me develop at the training ground.

He was always there when I needed him. He’s a guy I have huge respect for. He was a great coach as well. You could see the work he put in every day.

“Football can change so quickly but the quality he puts in every single day for the players shows he will be a top coach for so many years. He’s a very good man.”

Damnati and tarboltontim like this.
  18. Damnati

Only ever heard good reports about him. Anything else is guesswork and I don't know why people are so vitriolic towards him. He isn't the manager so I won't be holding his spell as caretaker against him.

Liam Scales likes this.
  19. JamesM09

It’s up to Ange to be honest. It should be his choice of employee so he decides who gets the job.

At the same time I think people need to stop pretending question marks over Kennedy’s ability are unfounded.

Twisty and martin_d like this.
  20. Damnati

I just think it's supposition at best. His time at the club as a whole has been really successful but he is never credited with being a part of that.

Granted his spell as caretaker was poor but that's not the job he does here and it seems like it would've been a tough time for anybody to take over.

People also dislike him because they see him as some sort of extension to the board. Because he survives through managers they assume nepotism and that he's some kind of board plant.

Liam Scales likes this.