1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Ange Postecoglou

Discussion in 'Ex Players' started by Mr. Slippyfist, May 29, 2021.

Discuss Ange Postecoglou in the Ex Players area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Cleansheets

Spoke to a chap I know today - an arch-hun and fairly senior figure in Australian football (he's Scottish).

Very worried indeed about Ange's appointment and what it signifies for his stupid team.

That's good.

2. Mr Cleansheets

Fingers crossed.

I've loved him for years (platonically and from a distance) but he just seems to get better and better. Perfect age to come to Celtic.

JML67 likes this.
  3. Mr Cleansheets

4. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

We need to get the finger out and get some signings in. Ange was announced weeks ago.

Dragging our heels as always.

5. Mr Cleansheets

To what extent might selling clubs be playing hard ball - knowing the urgency of Celtic's rebuild?

6. JamesM09

I think sometimes we get caught up thinking about stuff like this.

I’m sure it plays a part but really every club is in this position to some extent. Every club is in a state of flux.

As a fan base we know there’s a big rebuild for where we want to be, but from the outside I don’t think it looks too much like that.

7. George Theodorou

Fav Celtic Player:
    tommy gemmell
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all are good
    Totally agree regarding McGree - excuse the pun. Also keep an eye on Dylan Pierias, has a real engine,and Connor Metcalfe who has a great abiilty to find space and is a grafter - a very honest player. And they are both young and will get even better.

8. rusty83

Fav Celtic Player:
    rogic
    Mcgree hasn’t shown anything to indicate he is Celtic material. Being hyped and playing a few games in the Championship doesn’t mean anything. I havent watched a lot of Mcgree but from what I have seen he is technically uninspiring and doesn’t really possess great passing vision or dribbling or anything. He is sort of from the Jackson Irvine stable, hardworking box to box with an eye for goal, but isn’t going to wow anyone with his passing and skills (notwithstanding his scorpion kick). Strayan players take longer to develop so maybe in a couple years he will be OK but Australia produces overhyped players like Mcgree every year. One of them even signed for Celtic and is currently struggling for game time in Denmark.

The only Oz players who are good enough for Celtic are probably Mooy, Ryan, Rogic when he looks half interested and perahps Hrustic. Dont let Strayan fans fool you that there is a gold mine of talent down under waiting to light it up for Celtic. It is very sparse at the moment and I bet Ange knows it. I reckon if I forage through the pages here someone would’ve mentioned Rhyan Grant as a potential recruit. Australians are funny like that.

VT8 likes this.
  9. Twisty Champions Again !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    It's not the selling clubs that are the issue. We must be up there as one of the worst clubs to deal with. Nothing gets done quick, always drag the * out every deal.

scuzzy likes this.
  10. Lebo

Fellow Aussies please stop spamming this thread with Aussie player suggestions. Please. If any of you have been watching his team Yokohama F Marinos team over the last 3 1/2 years like i have, you will realise not one Aussie or A-league player is good enough for his high press high energy style and especially not good enough for Celtic. I know this is a forum and pointless speculation is what's it all about there is a reason not one Aussie player has been linked because they don't actually fit into his way of playing. Play on.

VT8, martin_d, AdamRS and 1 other person like this.
  11. Scubaroo

So much. I love the a-league and every now and then there's a decent player, but Australia only has 2 players that are certain to make celtic a better side. (Mooy, Ryan). Since the a-league started we've lost the reputation as producing players that are hard working, willing to grind to get to clubs like celtic, they get Europe fall and go home, not stick it out. This is one of the myriad of reasons Ange hasn't signed any Aussies in Japan.
    McGee could be a decent squaddie but he struggled alot of last year in Birmingham, so this year will make or break wherever he is.(including the Olympics)

seanm likes this.
  12. seanm

If ange gets rid of kennedy and strachan for his own backroom staff we have a chance of the league this season.if we keep them we really are * imo.HH

13. seanm

Can we get a countdown clock fir when kennedy and strachan go please HH

martin_d likes this.
  14. DdoubleD

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tom Rogic
    Yeah 100% this. As an Australian we are in out worst era of players coming through and our current team is lol bad we will struggle to qualify through Asia, dont think we will get through tbh.. Ange wont sign any Australian, if he didn't when he was in Japan no chance he will at Celitc.

Plus im pretty sure Ryley Mcrgree is on loan at Birmingham has signed for that new American team for next year. I could be wrong though.

VT8 likes this.
  15. Scubaroo

The 2014 world cup team was the worst we've ever had, and Ange made them look good. The current team would beat them comfortably.
    Our 16 to 20 year old look to be the best we've had in a long time, and if the ones that are in the a-league continue to get game time as the have past two seasons it should bode well.

16. Sean Daleer Free Palestine Gold Member

No. HH

17. rusty83

Fav Celtic Player:
    rogic
    They say this literally about every contingent of young Aussies coming through. Yesterday it was Brillante and Antonis. Before them it was Burns and Djite. Look at our current Olyroos losing 3x in a row friendlies and cant even beat Ireland u21s. We have lost the art of producing good players.

18. JamesM09

The proletariat want them gone and they want a countdown clock.

It’s not for the likes of you gold members in your ivory towers to deny them.

Hail. Hail.

19. Jordann Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    David Turnbull
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I don’t particularly want Kennedy or Strachan to stay at the club but if Ange decides he wants them to stay, I don’t have any issues with it either.

Think people need to move on from the coaching situation, Ange has made it quite clear he’ll decide and he has the backing to make they decisions but wants to assess everything first which is the right thing to do.

Mickmac and Double Dutch like this.
  20. AussieGreek

Why are we having this discussion about Aussie players and A-league?! Australia has nothing in the works.

It's very evident that the local semi-professional "wogs" did a better job at producing players before they got shafted and we had "Dutch-modelled curriculums" forced onto Australian football that utterly failed and has ruined two generations of Australian footballers (that's not to say that major changes were needed, especially towards the end of the NSL, but they completed * it)

No Aussie, as already said by others, is good enough for the step up to Celtic besides Ryan (I still think Ange will punt on Barkas) and Mooy.

If I was Ange I would have Rogic out the door, but we can only wait and see what he thinks.

Let's end this conversation, Australian footballers are rubbish and we've had no young player to ever get excited about in a very long time.

As Rusty correctly highlighted, we had all the hype of Brillante, Antonis, Burns and Djite, but there's a * of a lot more too like Mustafa Amini, who now at 28 is slugging it out in CYPRUS, an island country of less than 900,000 people and partially occupied by Turkey in its north!!!

Dimitrios Petratos was also supposed to be another big hope, and now at 28 years old himself too, he is playing in Saudi Arabia after a career high of 4 matches for Ulsan in South Korea when he wasn't in Australia.

Australian football is *, no one is up and coming, and no one is good enough for the step up to Celtic besides Mooy and Ryan.

VT8 likes this.