1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Confess your unpopular Celtic-related opinions

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The IRA, Jun 26, 2018.

Discuss Confess your unpopular Celtic-related opinions in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Maximillian

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA,Willie Maley
    Sinclair while being a talented footballer lacks heart.

2. Mr. Slippyfist

Shoosh.

3. BR Fenian Army

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    SCOTT BROWN SCOTT BROWN HE'S THE LEADER OF THE CELTIC
    Maybe the wizard of oz will give him one.

4. Cupid Stunt

He's a had a fairly tough season on and off the park by all accounts. From what I read his missus went through a particularly * pregnancy and that's bound to have impacted on him. Hopefully this season we'll see him back to his season one self. If not Helen and the children will have to go.

jake10 and Murph-E like this.
  5. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

The board do a good job and Peter Lawwell is a great CEO.

binlardas67, Valhalla and Rydo1888* like this.
  6. ChrisMoh

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    andy halliday at the filth is a great example.:56:not.

7. richie87 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonny Doyle
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I hate the fact we don’t wear poppies or remember our hero’s who fought so we could still have our club, there were not only ex players who fought in both first and second world wars but hundreds of thousands of fans like my great uncle in the First World War and my uncles who fought in WW11 my father who fought in Korea, and yet we still don’t see that,

My great uncle fought in the inneskilin rifles in WW1 and died 3 days after it finished, from pneumonia. His family my Motherside were steeped in the cause and his brother and cousins are on the role of honour, but still he thought the WW1 and the Germans needed to be fought same in ww2 when my uncles went to fight the Germans because they though it was the right thing and yet they were more Irish than an Irish thing and would have died for the cause but still they thought Hitler was worse and went fought and died defending us and we don’t were poppies because why the brits the huns it represents the crown, what bollocks even if we wore green poppies it will still say we remember our own people

CalgaryBhoy likes this.
  8. Jeremie Frimpong

If you want to wear a poppy, wear one, but no one else is obliged to do so; that is one of the blessings of living in a free society.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    Cena, The IRA, Gabriel and 2 others like this.
  9. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    Agreed. Always been close to my heart as well, and feel the club should represent those who passed - especially given the fact that numerous Celtic players lost their lives during the wars.

I get people can choose to wear or not wear one, but I feel as a club you should be representing things like rememberance, much the same as they campaign with "Say No to Racism".

emmetf likes this.
  10. Twisty Champions Again !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    How many folk that fought in ww2 are still alive do you reckon ?

The comparison to 'say no to racism' is hardly relevant is it ?

The club donates to Poppy Scotland every year. The club does it's bit.

11. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    It's about more than money - and it's a campaign that represents more than a holding up a sign before a match, or wearing a red flower on a shirt. Hardly there to just remember those who were lost in the Great War's as well.

Are you saying because most who fought in the world wars have died, that we shouldn't need to pay tribute to them anymore?

12. Twisty Champions Again !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    No, I'm saying that when the people that fought in ww1 & ww2 pass, it starts to represent and fund guys that have fought in Ireland, Iraq, Afghanistan etc.

So you think we should honour these guys ?

13. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    I tend to have more faith in people to believe that we should absolutely honour those men and women who fought there. I tend to think those who served didn't do so out of a complete * to kill innocent people and pillage a foreign land - as some may believe they did.

Obviously Celtic's strong Irish roots bring in a fair bit of controversy when talking about this type of thing, but I'm talking about remembering those who served to fight the good fight and defend those who can't defend themselves. Wearing a poppy should not be viewed as an endorsement of anything other than that.

Velvet Bollok likes this.
  14. CalgaryBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Tha Thumb
    A conversation for a different thread perhaps. Might be naive and coming from a North American perspective, so no point in having constant back and forth's on it.

15. Twisty Champions Again !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony

Well it does.

Xatraps, The IRA, Cupid Stunt and 4 others like this.
  16. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

Wearing a poppy should be a personal choice not imposed on any individual, club or organisation. Those that can't understand why honouring all British war dead may not be something that someone wants to do is a difficult perspective to understand.

Of course there have been good things the British Army have done; but there's also a litany of unspeakable things they have also done.

If you want to wear a poppy because it means something to you, do so. Just as I wear an Easter Lily as it means something to me.

Would I dare tell the club they must put it on their strip because of my views? Never.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  17. StPauli1916 Gold Member Gold Member

People's Republic of North Northumberland
    Fav Celtic Player:
    Oliver Tebilly
    Fav Celtic Song:
    George and Pop

That's the thing though people do choose to remember 'their own people'. You choose to remember yours in November others can choose to remember theirs at Easter.

Gabriel likes this.
  18. Liam Scales

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Except that it actively raises funds for thr likes of those army members who gunned down unarmed civillians in Derry, and that’s hustbine incident. The fact we donate to it makes me sick.

I fully agree we should honour our players who were in the two world wars but the Poppy isn’t about that, it’s about raising money for those who have been involved in more recent conflicts.

And Britain has a terrible record there.

19. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Canny beat a good poppy debate.

20. Liam Scales

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    So you’d be quite happy with funding going to the likes of David Holden for all these years, who just got done for ‘manslaughter’ of Aidan McAnespie, who we actively sing a song of remembrance to all most every week in the stands?

The club gives money to the people who outright * murdered the likes of Aidan above. It gives me the boak.