1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Snoop Dogg wants to invest in Celtic

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Oct 27, 2024 at 5:27 PM.

Discuss Snoop Dogg wants to invest in Celtic in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lewis Kerr

Snoop Dogg reveals Wrexham's story has made him want to invest in Celtic - as the rapper cites Hollywood star Ryan Reynolds as the inspiration for his plans.

Snoop Dogg has revealed his plans to invest in Celtic, taking inspiration from Wrexham owners Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney.

The Hollywood duo took over Welsh side Wrexham for just short of £2million in November 2020, when they were in the fifth tier of English football and had been for nearly 15 years.

But they earned promotion to League Two two seasons later in winning the National League, and they secured a consecutive promotion the year after to take their spots in League One this term.

They are now third in the third tier and are targeting yet another promotion, and it seems the club's owners' work is rubbing off on millionaire rapper Snoop Dogg.

Speaking to the Daily Record, the 53-year-old, real name Calvin Cordozar Broadus Jr, has outlined his desire to become involved with sport, and in particular Celtic.

'I love what Ryan has done with Wrexham,' he said. 'It's just a great story.

'Investing in a sports team has been something I have been looking at for a long time.

'If the chance came to invest in Celtic, I would be crazy not to take a look at it.

'I have watched so much soccer in Europe but I have never seen fans like the Celtic fans. There is something so special about them.

'There is a reason why their fans are talked about across Europe. The best players and coaches in the world tell you there is nowhere like Celtic Park and I want to be a part of that.

'Their mascot is a hound. You couldn't make that up. Snoop Dogg becomes Hoopy the Hound – that's gotta be a match made in heaven. The headlines write themselves.'

Snoop has been pictured in a Celtic shirt in the past, also saying the club are 'his boys' in a previous interview.

Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-14007639/Snoop-Dogg-Wrexham-invest-Celtic.html#

2. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I'd imagine he wouldn't be able to afford to buy in to the club in a meaningful way to have an actual impact in the running of the club.

It's one thing an A list Hollywood star and a millionair TV creator to lump £2m in a none league club.

It's a whole other matter when he's likely gonna need to spend tens of millions himself just to have a fair say at the table.
    Even then, he's not budging the dynamic of Desmond and Lawwell without investing enough to buy at least one, if not both out of their shares.

Isn't Desmond holding the magical 50+ percent of the club and basically refuses to sell anything that would mean he gives away control?
    Next up is Lawwell, who I assume is on a fair % of all shares after squirreling away plenty of them over the years.

Would love to attention and the X factor of a guy like Snoop just being around the club. But doubt he will drop tens of millions to not have any real say in the club.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Skelleto and NakamuraTastic like this.
  3. celtic20

Love his clear liking of the club, but can’t ever see this happening

NakamuraTastic and Peej like this.
  4. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Imagine him passing a spliff round the director box.

I need to raise some capital so I can get in.

JML67, Wllm, KRS-1888 and 6 others like this.
  5. Bratfurdbhoy1

Honestly , the merchandise tie ins would make a fortune from him coming in. If true the board must be thinking about this guy all they want to do is make money.

seamus1967 and NakamuraTastic like this.
  6. BigManSmalls

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    If he can involve Dr Dre I'll be all for it

7. Forestbhoy66 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Danny mcgrain
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    We have DD worth over €2B euros….Wrexham didn’t have that tbh.

8. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Investing in the club is one thing. Think people are totally jumping the gun to think that Snoop is about to become the majority shareholder or whatever, as was the case with McElhenney & Reynolds when they took over Wrexham.

At the current market value of 155p per ordinary share, Snoop would need a nudge under £2.8m to buy approx 1% of the club's equity... presuming that there is a seller out there who holds that much of a stake and is willing to sell at that valuation.

Considering that Reynolds & McElhenney paid about £2-2.5m to take over at Wrexham entirely does put that into perspective somewhat.

seamus1967 likes this.
  9. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    Would be both hilarious and great but this legend of a man dont understand the value in this club. Its not Wrexham

Skickat från min SM-F926B via Tapatalk

10. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    More than happy for him to invest some money into the club and become a minority shareholder. His fame will give the club extra exposure if he attends a match too.

Rydo1888* and eire4 like this.
  11. seamus1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    This land is your land.
    He's after being part of Celtic, has been for a while if I remember right.

Let him build an extention on the main stand. C#nts dying to spend the money.

12. Mr. Slippyfist

At leastbif he attends the games every week, there'll be no need for smoke bombs....

13. saltire78

If I remember correctly, noone at our club is NEAR to 50%. Desmond only has something like 20%... Pretty sure it was set up to prevent pretty much that happening... Could be wrong though!

14. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Desmond is the majority shareholder, who owns approx 38% of the club. The current Board own + control via proxy about 11.2%. Which means that literally any one of about a dozen people who hold at least 1% shareholding, sides with the Board/DD etc and that is more than enough to block any potential takeover.

Considering all those who do have at least 1% holding are all business people, including, but not limited to, the likes of John J Fisher (who owns The GAP, H&M, Oakland A's in the MLB & San Jose Earthquakes in the MLS), Michael Lindsell & Nick Train (a partnership who also have holdings in the likes of Juventus, Man U as well as other tech and sporting brands), Chris Trainer (former owner of Forrest Media) & James Mark Keane (who is a big noise in the wool industry). There are others, but those are just a couple of examples, and any one of which could side with DD and the existing Board, and it would make any move to take a controlling interest a complete non-starter.

Oh, and btw, all of these people are likely to do business with one another outside of the scope or interest in Celtic, and really, are any of these likely to want to make enemies of someone such as Desmond? Not a chance.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, if Snoop were to invest that's great and good for him, but there is a very big difference between investing and trying to take a controlling interest. Investing in a small holding (he would need around £2.8m for approx 1% of the club at current market value of 155p per ordinary share), which is more than McElhenney & Reynolds paid in total for controlling Wrexham in September 2020.

seamus1967 likes this.
  15. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

New club badge incoming
    upload_2024-10-28_8-43-13.png

thailandceltic likes this.