1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Champions League Atalanta V Celtic Wednesday October 23 kick off 5:45 TNT Sports 4

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Notorious, Oct 19, 2024 at 5:05 PM.

Discuss Atalanta V Celtic Wednesday October 23 kick off 5:45 TNT Sports 4 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I have watched most of their games and what scares me is that while they may be off to a slow start compared to the last couple of seasons their strength is going forward. Lookman and Retegui are a really scary duo up top in particular. Pasalic in midfield is very good as well. On the positive side they tend to have a very strong left wing culture among their support so supporter wise our fans who go over their should get on well with the locals.

JC Anton likes this.
  2. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Excellent everything shaping up nicely so. * me their forward line against us probably without CCV and no holding mid is bad enough without this guy as ref.

3. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    Trusty and Scales have played together in our last four games and conceded 10 goals, *

4. Rydo1888* Moderator Moderator Gold Member

5. stevoEOS

I’ll only catch the 1st half. Something tells me neither of us will be gutted about not getting to see the full match!

6. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
  7. Sentinel

Fully expecting us to be horsed rotten. We are nowhere near CL level and this team can be elite on their day. The Europa final last season was a complete masterclass against the form team in World football. I'll honestly take anything 5 or under.

8. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

It's a sad indictment everyone was is dreading this one.. we should be relishing this type of challenge..

Down to Rodgers and the players to change that by putting in a credible, competitive performance.

eire4 likes this.
  9. murphy88

What do you class as CL level? Just curious because this phrase gets brought up a lot, but when you look at the teams in the competition, I’d say we are on par if not better than roughly a quarter of them.

Hammy89 likes this.
  10. celtic20

I think what's really interesting about this game is that it's an immediate chance to see if Rodgers has genuinely learned anything.

I feel like when you only have one or two games like these every year it can be easy to get caught up in the "we've improved so we can give it a good go" mentality.

This game comes just several weeks after Dortmund and we evidently haven't improved within those 3 weeks. If anything we've gotten worse. So it's about seeing how the manager changes things tactically, which I think he will even if he's saying he won't.

Absolutely no way, I would like to think, he makes the exact same mistakes in Italy that he made in Dortmund. If he does, there's major questions to ask about his sanity never mind his tactical awareness

11. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    3-1 to the home side. Stats back this up unfortunately and the stats are horrendous from our perspective

Their injury list and domestic record this season can be exploited but we said that about Dortmund.

12. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Can’t see a positive result in Europe without vickers at the back tbh, it’s plainly obvious even at SPFL level never mind away in Europe. Big man breeds confidence through the full team… hope I’m wrong of course

Last edited: Oct 22, 2024 at 11:33 AM
    oh bhoy likes this.
  13. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    I think we will only know this after the league format is finished.

14. CarmunnockBhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    I hope the bhoys packed their lube.

15. Sentinel

It is hard to define, but I mean a team that has the experience, physicality, technicality and tactical nous to not be overwhelmed against the top teams.

That list of teams is probably quite small, but an overall word I would use to describe CL level is Intensity. You have to be able to match your opponents physicality and even more importantly mental intensity (toughness). We switch off in defence constantly - even domestically, so in the CL we are literally cannon fodder against the more switched on teams.

16. DEADEYECFC

Fav Celtic Player:
    teemu pukki
    Fav Celtic Song:
    four leaf clover
    1-2

Sent from my CPH2375 using Tapatalk

17. Morcombe

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo, Jota, Abada, Taylor, McGregor, the whole team!
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the People Sing, This Land is Your land, Over & Over, Green, White & Gold, Hampden in the Sun, E
    Schmeichel
    Johnston - welsh - trusty - scales - valle
    Bernardo - engels - mcgregor - hatate
    Kyogo

Punt the ball long for kyogo to run onto and hope for the best.

Still probably be 3-0 to atalanta but losing 7 to second class teams again is unacceptable.

18. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Pretty much what I am thinking when they are up against Lookman and Retegui tomorrow night.

19. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I think the point the poster is making is that Atalanta are not just a better team then us at the moment but this Atalanta team when on form is capable of playing at the level of an elite champions league team which we are clearly no where near at the moment.

20. murphy88

I get what you are meaning, I just think it’s a phrase that gets used wrongly when you look at other teams who regularly qualify for the CL also.