1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Champions League Atalanta V Celtic Wednesday October 23 kick off 5:45 TNT Sports 4

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Notorious, Oct 19, 2024 at 5:05 PM.

Discuss Atalanta V Celtic Wednesday October 23 kick off 5:45 TNT Sports 4 in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Lewis Kerr

I'm 99% sure we're getting ragdolled again unfortunately.

However there's always a small bit of blind optimism in me that says we'll come out of it with a credible performance and might even nick a point.

I'd go:

Schmeichel
    AJ CCV Scales Valle
    Engels Bernardo Hatate
    Kuhn Idah Maeda

Last edited: Oct 21, 2024 at 1:05 AM
  2. Mr Hoopy

After the Dortmund debacle I wouldn't mind if we just didn't turn up and take the 3-0 defeat...:s:

I jest of course but I'm sure we are worried another pumping is on the cards here...

3. Foley1888

My biggest fear for this one is another battering hammers this teams mentality, which is clearly still fragile after Dortmund. Our in game management is questionable at best. Whenever a team gets on top of us at any level we look like losing goals in bunches.

I fear another battering then feeds into our domestic form further.

seamus1967 likes this.
  4. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

We'll absolutely need leadership and we 100% won't be dropping our Captain..

5. cammy07

Goes without saying but our tactics need to be much smarter, and individually the players need to be far better and braver than they were against Dortmund.

For me it hinges on CCV being fit, without him I just can’t see how we get anything out the game, and could be another long night.

6. Slaw

Just please don’t get pumped

7. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I am genuinely having a ball, mate. I don't get shell-shocked by insanely heavy defeats in Europe anymore, there have been too many at this point. The home ones still hurt like crazy, as there's something in me that refuses to accept that we should ever get dismantled at CP (I felt like your son after PSG, for example); but I just shrug off the away ones now. I'm over them literally the next morning. The Atalanta game is a literal free hit for me: if it goes like we all expect, I'll be over it the next morning; if we do a Barcelona 2013, I'll be as ecstatic as everyone else.

I can't really agree about the Real Madrid game. First of all, that was at home and CP on nights like that is still an advantage. Secondly, I think Real won that game quite comfortably. I didn't feel like the result was ever in doubt. To give you your due, we admittedly didn't let them completely bend us over like we did at Dortmund and we went down fighting. At home, that's genuinely important. If that Dortmund match had happened at CP, I would be a lot less OK with Rodgers than I currently am and I certainly wouldn't have been over it the next morning. As I said, I've reached a stage where I just accept that we're going to get taken apart in the CL away from home sometimes; but I don't think I'll ever be able to accept that at CP (even though it's happened there a few times too).

JC Anton and NomDePlum like this.
  8. ardis1967

I said the same before Dortmund. Just want us to be more organized and harder to break down. Stop giving silly goals away in Europe. Would love to see a more fluidity counter attack style as we obviously have the pace.
    Again we can't continue to be pumped in Europe. I don't care about the budget difference etc. The result against Dortmund was completely unacceptable and we can't continue to be a laughing stock

9. john2061

Unfortunately the manager is not going to change his ways and you heard him in his interview do you want me to sit back for 90 minutes and get beat 3-0 .
    So if we get away without getting smashed again I will take it even if it's a 3-0 defeat

10. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Not sure using Real Madrid at home is a fair comparison against Dortmund away or Atalanta.. when we look what happened when we went away to Real..

Celtic at home are/should be a different animal and that's the pressure, to convert the favourable looking games v YB and Brugge into wins.. And try to take something from RB too.

It would definitely be good to see a pragmatic improvement in Bergamo. Not holding my breath though.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2024 at 11:04 AM
    NomDePlum and Random Review like this.
  11. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Our midfield can't be as open and easy to play through as in Dortmund or we're done. Hopefully some good work on the video analysis from that game a tweak in setup can make us at least a little bit more difficult to play through. Force them wide and double up on the wingers, get Kuhn and Maeda helping out and try play long through balls to Kyogo to get us up the pitch.

Can't see anything but a loss but hopefully not a total hammering.

12. DonnyCelt

Ref for this is the * that sent two of our players off in the Feyenoord game last season. Ffs

Hammy89 and JC Anton like this.
  13. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    Fair point :50:

Random Review and JC Anton like this.
  14. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    I was at the game and there were definitely points I at least thought the result was in doubt. But maybe it was just me :39:

JC Anton likes this.
  15. Foley1888

He also denied Maeda a stonewall penalty in the first few minutes. He was a nightmare.

DonnyCelt likes this.
  16. henriks tongue

If we are competitive throughout the game across all areas of the pitch, I'll take it - even if we lose by a goal or 2.
    Dortmund was a bad day for us on an amazing day for them - expect a much closer game this time.

CCV crucial tho, desperately hope he's fit but thinking most likely not given he didn't even make it to bench on Sat.

17. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Celtic have been boosted ahead of this week's UEFA Champions League showdown with Atalanta set to be without up to six internationalists.
    The Scottish champions travel to Italy for a difficult game against the Serie A stalwarts after hammering Slovan Bratislava in their opening match and then being battered by Borussia Dortmund in their second game.
    But the Bergamo side have an injury crisis after central defender Sead Kolasinac was ruled out with flu and the Bosnian international defender is now a major doubt for Wednesday.
    Europa League holders Atalanta are also missing injured captain, Italian international Rafael Toloi, Ivory Coast international full back Odilon Kossounou and ex-West Ham striker Gianluca Scamacca who has won 20 caps for Italy.

And they will also be without two more Italian internationals Marco Brescianini and Giorgio Scalvini for the game at the Gewiss Stadium.

Lifted from the excellent Celtic Way... some good news.

18. constant

That is good news.
    But how good are their stand ins :giggle1:

19. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

:56: :fear:

20. Saul Goodman Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    This would normally give me a glimmer but the Dortmund performance has knocked the stuffing out of me tbh.

I think it’ll be 4/5-1 to them.