1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Confess your unpopular Celtic-related opinions

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The IRA, Jun 26, 2018.

Discuss Confess your unpopular Celtic-related opinions in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    He's better than Hart last season? He might be by the end of the season but wouldn't say thats even close to being true.

He "might" be a better keeper but he's yet to show much for us other than some cracking saves preseason. Which doesn't really count. Distribution is obviously better, * I think my distribution is better than Harts, although having watched Gordon mid-week there are definitely a lot out there that are worse.

I think it's really difficult for a keeper to be the sort of leader on the field Hart was. Not even that sure how he managed to have that level of influence. So its not really a slight on Schmeichel, just pointing out we lack leadership in the team, was really evident yesterday in the second half. McGregor, CCV and Taylor have it but other than that the teams too nice.

Obviously if he has a shut out midweek I'll eat my words :50:

Random Review and JC Anton like this.
  2. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

:56:

Think you've got as good a chance keeping a clean sheet on Wednesday..

Random Review and NomDePlum like this.
  3. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He's as fat as your mouth..

4. Mr. Slippyfist

No got a fat mouth mate, but I do have a big fat tongue :BR1:

JC Anton likes this.
  5. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

6. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
  7. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

You can see his body shape has changed since his younger days, as it naturally does, saw the same on broony towards the end of his time. It's a big part of what makes his look porky.

8. Blochairnbhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Scott Sinclair
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Grace
    I believe now the summer business is looking substandard at best again looks like over £20m wasted again

9. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    Is this not just your normal opinion @Blochairnbhoy? Thought this thread was for opinions you don't want to say in the regular threads.

Surely £26m + Kaspers lunch money for the season, as well?

JC Anton and snails67 like this.
  10. Sween

I wouldn't say over 20m is wasted but it feels a bit so so at the moment. I'm positive about Engels, Bernardo and McCowan. Not positive about Idah and Trusty. And Schmeichel has been OK bit of business.

I think we tied ourselves in knots over Idah and ended up almost committed to the signing regardless of price. And Trusty never made sense to me, thought it was a panic buy at the time and nothing I've seen changes my mind.

But the guys I'm positive about I think could really step up a level or two over the next couple of seasons. They all have a lot of potential.

11. henriks tongue

It's only Oct guys, give new guys a chance - they are all least getting a game and I think improving all the time.
    Unlike the utter shower of * we signed last season.

Idah is one I'm most worried about to be fair, hasn't shaken the lazy / bad attitude baggage yet.

12. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Streaky Danish...

13. Double Dutch

Fav Celtic Player:
    CalMac
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Blew every * away start of the season, playing some amazing stuff. Every signing looked excellent and getting all the praise going.

First sign of a wobble and it's end of the world, players are * and Brendan's a fraud. Dunno why folk do it to themselves man :56:

14. constant

I'm thinking the same.
    Schemeichel is carrying a bit too much timber for my liking and it is affecting his agility and movement.
    I think he gets off a bit too lightly by most fans, based on his earlier appearances and shut outs, which I think were more down to our lockfast first selection defence at the time, than any great heroics in goal.
    He's starting to leak goals now, and his deficiences are starting to show up.
    It may be an unpopular opinion, but I think Joe Hart was the better all round keeper.

15. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    It's definitely been way over the top from some..

We had an unreal start to the season and battered Bratislava at home to get off and running..

Pulled the huns pants down. Battered everyone really. Press was top notch. Defensively much better and barely conceding before Dortmund gave us a spanking and it's dented the confidence a touch..

We blitzed the sheep and should've been outta sight, had a wee shaky period against a good side in form and confident....yet still should've won comfortably. 32 shots on goal was it?

First dropped points of the season. Still sitting lovely in top spot with players finding their feet and our best defender by miles about to come back in to the fold..

You'd think we were in some sort of crisis..

16. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    Not sure those qualifies as unpopular, but we focus on personnel too much in the CL, and sacrifice the overall system.

The best defensive performance I’ve seen from Celtic in the CL was under Strachan, with a backline of Hinkel, McManus, Caldwell and Naylor. Our current defence is better player for player, but much weaker a unit. Even the defence we had with the likes of VVD and Denayer was more fragile as a unit.

The reason for this is 2-fold. 1) structure is more important for a defence unit that the individual, and 2) our midfield setup is all wrong in Europe. It provides the backline with absolutely no real protection.

The latter point is where my unpopular opinion sits, and it’s that CalMac is not capable of providing the protection to the backline that we need in Europe, and shouldn’t be played there, even if that means dropping him from the XI (realistically, we’d use him elsewhere in midfield).

crazy-horse1977 and AdamRS like this.
  17. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    And Kasper is definitely too fat.

JC Anton likes this.
  18. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    We've overpaid for a couple on the face of it..

We can afford a couple of them..

January I'm expecting more good work to be done..

We've shifted a load of deadwood this window and haven't really gone for any project types. If we carry that on again in the next window, whilst shipping some out, we'll be in good shape..

Double Dutch and JC Anton like this.
  19. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    My unpopular opinion is that the claims we overpaid for any of the players we signed in the summer is complete head in the sand nonsense. It's like folk are still stuck in the early 2000's way of thinking where £5m is a huge amount for a signing.

20. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    Quite right. £5m is peanuts. Gets you a Bernabei or Ajeti nowadays. Or pays James McCarthy's contract out.