1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic consult 'football doctor' Tisdale in bid to revamp club's football operations

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Notorious, Oct 9, 2024 at 10:01 PM.

Discuss Celtic consult 'football doctor' Tisdale in bid to revamp club's football operations in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic are set to bring in former Exeter City boss Paul Tisdale to revamp the club’s football operations

Describing himself as a 'football doctor', 51-year-old Tisdale has been working as a self-employed consultant.

The former Southampton midfielder also coached MK Dons, Bristol Rovers and Stevenage in a managerial career which spanned over 1,000 games in the dug-out

With head of recruitment Mark Lawwell and chief scout Joe Dudgeon having left Celtic in March, Tisdale has been targeted for a senior role at the Scottish champions, overseeing functions such as recruitment, data and coaching development.

‘I work as what I call a football doctor,’ he recently told a scouting podcast. ‘I go into football clubs and I try to find performance-improvement solutions using data and also my experience as a coach.

‘I can translate very well from the boardroom to the pitch, and from the pitch to the boardroom, and also deliver CPD (continuous professional development) or coach mentoring.

I’m currently into a period where I am doing a bit of a lot of things, waiting for one thing really to take off. (It’s) keeping me busy and I am self employed with my own business and really enjoying

Once described as ‘the most stylish man in football’, Tisdale has previously advised Fulham and Crystal Palace. As a coach, he gave Aston Villa’s Ollie Watkins his first-team break at Exeter, but missed the striker’s winning goal for England against the Netherlands at Euro 2024 because he was taking in a match between Queen’s Park and Celtic

Speaking to talkSPORT the morning after, he said: ‘I was delighted but I was actually at Queen’s Park last night for the pre-season game against Celtic and I was in the boardroom afterwards. When Ollie came on the pitch as a substitute I had a feeling he would score. But I didn’t want to start screaming if he did, so I ran out to the car. I actually missed it because of that.’

Celtic have gone down a similar route before, drafting in former manager Gordon Strachan on a three-month consultancy basis in 2021

Working as Dundee technical director at the time, Strachan reviewed the club academy, women’s team and B team operations, providing recommendations to former chief executive Dom McKay

neilly1987 likes this.
  2. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
  3. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    It is movement aye, at least.

However at first glance it doesn't come across like a permanent solution. If he's consulting. I don't know why we don't just spend money on an experienced DoF and allow them to build a team below them.

Really think we should have a DoF. This just seems like another stop gap approach but hopefully I'm wrong. Perhaps he will be consulting on how we build that team.

4. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I'm glad there's something..

Knew my email a week to Michael Nicholson would pay off.. :56:

Hopefully the club clarifies the role and appointment and what the vision is.. as the Communication from CEO is nonexistent.

5. Peter T. Lawwell Esq Chairman of Celtic FC PLC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    He's the new club doctor. Much cheaper than going through Bupa.

6. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Let's just hope he can advise better than whatever the * it was that Gordon Strachan advised us on.

It's something at least, but is it just lipservice or are we actually gonna do something?

Did we not hire a consultancy agency to find us Mark Lawwell? Or was that someone else who happened to be on our doorstep.

neilly1987 likes this.
  7. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

If he was at our pre-season game v Queens Park in the summer, must have been in the pipeline for a while.

neilly1987 likes this.
  8. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    The Diet Huns - of all clubs - are talking to the owner of Brighton, and who do we consult? A guy who couldn’t keep a job managing Exeter City.

Way to go, Pistol Pete & Co…

Edit: I’ve calmed doon noo. As @McChiellini.. says, at least it’s something, but I remain to be convinced. Be delighted to be proved wrong.

9. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Theres nothing wrong with self care or being fashionable.

But any person going that far to be noticed is usually a few cans short of a six pack.

Ive known a few people who dress outrageously to garner attention, and that level of peacocking usually indicates theyre a * roaster.

Of course, its quite prejudiced of me to suggest that this "football doctor" is a chimp, merely on the impression his dress sensibilities present.

But hey, if you dress like a clown, its highly likely you are one.

Get this tae *.

Bayern Bru likes this.
  10. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    It's a start, need to be seeing a lot more over the season.

neilly1987 likes this.
  11. BigDoggyWoofWoof

Imagine some * trying to dole out advice to you while wearing that hat.

12. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I'll reserve judgement until its confirmed and details of the role are confirmed..

Can't moan constantly about making changes to our footballing operation and when we do slate it for not going far enough, with the required details still to be announced.

He has advised Premier League clubs so he may have a good pedigree, anyone calling themselves the 'Football Doctor' is obviously highly thought especially by themselves.. :56:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2024 at 9:03 AM
  13. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    "Football doctor"!!! Write up sounds ike the intro to a new episode in Ted Lasso. Top Shop version of Ian Cathro from the look of it.

Guess we'll see but not holding my breath and can't really see much online about him that would suggest he's got anything to actually offer.

14. Twisty Champions Again !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    Battle of the ego's with him and BR

neilly1987 and Mr Shelby like this.
  15. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    If he was at the queen's park game, that wA 3 months ago to the day.
    If we are liking it to the Gordon Strachan consultancy, that was a 3 month spell.

So some questions.
    Is the consultant period done already? Is this old news? What's been the outcome if so? Are people expecting a formal announcement from the club about this guy taking up a role? Because it looks like he isn't the fix for our football/recruitment operations, he's simply the guy to tell us what would be a good route for us to take and type of people to hire/infrastructure to implement.

Not sure this is the guy we are gonna get an announcement that he's the new Head of Recruitment or something.

Those things said, what are his actual credentials? He's named dropped Palace as the biggest club he's worked with, but when was that and what did he do?

And inevitably, what's his previous contact with the club? When do we find out that his a cousin to McManus?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

neilly1987 and NakamuraTastic like this.
  16. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    https://x.com/Callum7McFadden/status/1844124812081541625

https://worldfootballindex.com/2021...evity-and-his-biggest-achievement-at-mk-dons/

On the face of it he seems like a good appointment. No previous Celtic link either so we don't have to deal with the tedious nepotism chat.

neilly1987 likes this.
  17. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    Sounds like a good prescription for change :fear:

Let the awful medical jokes commence!

neilly1987 and JC Anton like this.
  18. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I know I'll be looked at as I'm always negative, but for me that's the key part to all of this news.
    Overseeing a review. Not obsessing the process of the changes, just the review.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  19. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

My first impression is the guy seems like a bit of a parody but it is something like others have said so we shall see.

henriks tongue and Peej like this.
  20. BigManSmalls

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    BELIEVE

NomDePlum likes this.