1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Celtic Luke McCowan

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Notorious, Aug 30, 2024.

Discuss Welcome to Celtic Luke McCowan in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Peter T. Lawwell Esq Chairman of Celtic FC PLC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    Engels will be getting sold at the next available opportunity and I'll identify a suitable replacement from Dundee. You can understand why

2. Bratfurdbhoy1

McCowan. The new Barry Robson. Can see him scoring the winner in the semi against the Dons.

3. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Don't think it's a fitness issue tbh.

Bernardo, McGregor and Engels have all been great barring last week. Hatate has impacted too and will naturally be ahead of him at the start.

He's shown he has the talent but it was always going to be a gradual introduction.

Hammy89, neilly1987 and martin_d like this.
  4. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Luke McCowan insists Aberdeen are NOT yet genuine Premiership title contenders.

The Celtic playmaker reckons it’s too early in the campaign to describe any side as pretenders to the Parkhead throne right now. But he is well aware of the danger the Dons pose as the top two get set for their Parkhead showdown after the international break

Jimmy Thelin’s men are joint top of the table along with the Hoops after making it 13 wins on the spin to start the season. Celtic have also been flawless in the domestic game this term and the pair are also set to scrap it out in the Premier Sports Cup semi-finals next month. McCowan is looking forward to the clash a week on Saturday – but is not counting the Granite City men as contenders just yet. He said: “No. We’re are only seven games in so sadly I can’t say they are. But after seven games, there are no title contenders. They will be saying the same and will be taking it each game.

“We know we have a tough game coming up. It doesn’t matter who you are playing, it’s always going to be a tough game. And in this league if you treat it any differently you are going to get punished. It’s about being aware of that and having the same mentality going into every game.”

McCowan is counting down until the big game with the Dons and will be part of a Celtic select side heading to Ireland today to take on Sligo Rovers in a friendly. The 26-year-old has made an immediate impact at Parkhead following his deadline day move from Dundee – but he missed out on a place in Steve Clarke’s Scotland squad to face Croatia and Portugal this week.

McCowan admitted he’s not hanging by the phone at the moment. He said: “If it comes, it comes. I’m not really fussed about it. I’m at a club this size and it’s not my focus

If the Scotland manager picked up the phone and asked me to go, I’d happily go. Of course I’d love to represent my country.

The time is not there yet. Whether it comes with more years here and more minutes on the pitch, then so be it. But right now my full focus is getting in this team and being effective. I’ve been involved a lot already. It’s about showing you are as good as the player coming off and I know myself that I’m as good as the players that are starting.

“It’s about gaining the manager’s trust. That’s the big thing under a new manager, it’s about knowing I can do jobs in games. I’d like to think I’ve done that so far but it’s about doing it over and over again and having that consistency.”

“I wanted a seamless transition into the team. I know obviously more minutes to come but I’ve got a lot of time in my hands to do that. I know that the boys in the team and the coaches and staff and everybody in the club have been helping me do that

McCowan will be joined by first team stars such as Alex Valle for the Irish trip and it’s a chance to keep ticking over during the international break and impressing boss Brendan Rodgers, who will lead his side at the Showgrounds. McCowan is expecting a bumper crowd after being blown away by the backing against Borussia Dortmund last week.

He said: “I’ve never done a trip like this as a fan. That’s why it was an eye opener in Dortmund as I’d never done that either. It’s will be nice to see the fans and all the history before it. It’s a stadium I’ve never been to and it will be a good occasion for both clubs.”

5. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    I really really like him..

The pockets of space he takes up
    His first touch
    How comfortable he is on the ball
    His bite
    His ability to spot a pass

This isn't just on tonight's showing (where he was motm for me). It's been since he came in the door but he showed it all again just now. Unlucky no to score a couple..

6. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Aye I like him.

I liked him before he signed as did many and its not very often you get a near unanimous agreement on a player arriving from Dundee.

He showed he was clearly a level or two above them. I just think his attitude is great and he's genuinely had to work so hard to get where he is, you'd have to be a harsh nosed * to not want to root for him.

Hammy89 and neilly1987 like this.
  7. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

He’s impossible not to like tbh, as a person or a player.

Infectious.

Hammy89, neilly1987 and Rydo1888* like this.
  8. Liam Scales

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    I love that as a signing most of the support, including me, it was almost an afterthought check box ticked sorta signing.

Some that had clocked his talent raving about him, making some comparisons to younger Calmac I thought was mad that I can see now.

But everyone now, to a man in the support as far as I can see, * love him. These sorta signings, take me by surprise and make me attached to them rapidly, I * love it man. Hope he’s here for years, and goes from strength to strength.

9. Liam Scales

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    We pulled the trigger to sign him at a perfect time, after we’d shelled out big money on others, if we done it soon as MOR left he’d have had the O’Riley replacement label and arrive here with fans not on board. He signed when we had shelled out money already, most people were thinking where would he fit in the team with our options and we had been linked to him that long it was clear the manager rated him and wanted him, regardless of buys he’d got like Engels and Bernardo. He’s put him on at times of the game to let him just go on and express himself as a player, Calmac saying to him he was here for a reason trust his talent him coming on against the Huns just after signing reflects the way Br see’s him and has used him I think. And he’s proven critical at times in the role he has. He’s both seen games out and been the impetus to change. I * love the *

neilly1987, Mr Shelby and Hammy89 like this.
  10. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Players like him are essential.

He's 5th choice but he knows his place. He's the fifth best midfielder in Scotland, 2nd best Scottish midfielder.

If you want to compare him and Barron, who the huns say are their best midfielder, it's not even a competition. Who would you want on the field? McCowan's is better in all aspects of his game and has made the jump from Dundee to Celtic effortlessly, which is rare as so many players that have been good in the top flight, have absolutely been consumed by the expectations.

It's refreshing to see someone so technical and close to McGregor's attributes being produced.

He will be invaluable.

11. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Crilly and Wllm like this.
  12. scotsbhoy1

Fav Celtic Player:
    Rogic
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Never walk alone
    Should get a call up soon is exactly the Player needed.

Sean Treacy likes this.
  13. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    I'd maybe consider starting him vs Motherwell. We didn't get him on the ball too much but when we did, looked a bigger threat than Engels and Bernardo.

neilly1987 likes this.
  14. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Should be starting before Engels right now. Not even a debate.

NomDePlum and neilly1987 like this.
  15. ardis1967

I would have no issue with him starting btw. I think he’s looked the most comfortable of all the new signings if I’m honest but I do know he’s not played as much as the others

neilly1987 and mayo like this.
  16. cammy07

Guy should be getting way more minutes than he is

Rydo1888* and neilly1987 like this.
  17. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

I'd be starting him tbh

thailandceltic likes this.
  18. celtic20

Thought he’d won us a pen at the end

Hammy89 likes this.
  19. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    I'd be starting him over Engels from what I've seen.. needs a start to prove himself

20. ILoveTheCeltic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Did play very well when he came on, a natural smart footballer really. I mind noticing that about him with Dundee a few games this season how he flicks a ball on and passes sharp, has great awarness of whats going on around him and where people are that he makes a lot of first time passes and stuff that open things up.