1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Callum McGregor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by greengrocer, Jul 5, 2014.

Discuss Callum McGregor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Wasn’t a holding midfielder but wasn’t an attacking midfielder. His stats and analysis write ups from our fan sites/social media sort of stuff looking into him and how he played for Augsburg more made that argument due to his stats and it looming more defensive and the caveat of the team he played for being midtable and not an attacking sort of team was largely ignored, he had the stats of a holding midfielder if he played for us, but his style isn’t of that. He does defend and tackle and wins aerial duels, intercepts etc. but he’s not a defensive midfielder.

Belgium look at him as an eventual replacement for Tielemans, that’s the style.

Dortmund was a * bad game for him and he went into hiding. Early days for him here, he’s a young player, despite his ability, talent and his fee(and my anger at him over the showing he had Tuesday) we need to remember he’s a young player just here big shoes to fill, and not go overboard.

He’s the replacement for somebody who ably stepped in DM when Calmac wasn’t available but it’s not the reason we got him as the replacement, Bernardo is more suited to that than him I think but I wouldn’t put him there either outwith Calmac being injured.

We’ve left ourselves with no defensive minded options for midfield, Iwata was the only one we had that we dismissed and let go for a fee not even mentioned. That’s a mistake. We should have brought someone in for purely defensive minded midfielder and when we didn’t we should have kept the one we had

2. Liam Scales Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Broony
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony, YNWA, Grace
    Don’t mean this question snidely because you’re a poster I usually agree with or when I don’t I see the point in what you’re saying but I can’t see any evidence of why he would be, what have you seen for you to think that’s the best option? I can’t see it at all.

Luis1967 likes this.
  3. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

We definitely need a DM, we have done at this level for years..

Iwata wasn't it though, too slow in possession at SPL level never mind CL.. Rodgers never saw him as a viable option in there, so for me there was no point keeping him. We need to sign a DM who is a no brainer to select in games like Dortmund..

I just don't think we'll see that investment in that position under Rodgers.

4. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

I just think because he’s much bigger and more athletic, good in the tackle and tidy with his passing. Might be a terrible idea but worth a try I think. McGregor is fine at home but more for the away games when we don’t see much of the ball. He’s been overrun far to many times now away and it’s time to give it a change.

neilly1987 likes this.
  5. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

It's no surprise the last time we gave a good showing in a European campaign was when we had Victor Wanyama bossing * in the midfield.

Callum was * the other night (which is unlike him) but he was hamstrung by the setup which doesn't suit him in Europe at all and the midfield offered the defense zero protection at all. Not gonna blame him for the managers shortcomings.

Dallas Cowbhoys likes this.
  6. Dallas Cowbhoys

Surely we can find a beast of a defensive mid for Europe who can play more box to box domestically.

If we continue to play the way we do in midfield we can only expect more pumpings unfortunately.

10 years without a proper replacement for Wanyama (and 5 years for Tierney) is shocking.

JC Anton likes this.
  7. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He's shown to be quite a robust and athletic box to box midfielder in his early days here. Was poor the other night though..

Think he did a bit but no sure how often..

The_Bhoy likes this.
  8. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

He has played RB too, so must have some defensive attributes..

Rodgers only wants to enhance the attacking ability of every player tho..:56:

Not sure anyone has developed into a better defender under him..

The_Bhoy, NomDePlum and McChiellini.. like this.
  9. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    Boyata maybe :fear:

JC Anton likes this.