1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Turd Ferguson Gold Member Gold Member

Add 6 - 0 Madrid.

2. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

He simply has to park his pride (or snap out of his delusion) and set us up to be harder to play through in Bergamo. Otherwise it'll be another horror show and game over at HT again.

4-5-1 with Kuhn and Maeda helping defend out wide, two deep 8s and Hatate in the 10 to try play on the counter to Kyogo.

murphy88 and Pogues like this.
  3. Pogues

It was interesting listening to Lennon on the commentary. He clearly couldn't believe that we didnae change anything as the game went on.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  4. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    I'm not saying that it's not a terrible result or that Rodgers isn't responsible. Only that he isn't the only issue that needs addressed.

He's taking the club forward and has obvious failings. Both those things can be true.

martin_d likes this.
  5. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

We played 5 at the back when PSG smashed us..

So that's not always the answer, for me he should have varied it and Engels & McGregor sitting in a 4-2-3-1..

He definitely needs to try something else in Italy.. probably won't tho..

McChiellini.. likes this.
  6. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    That's pretty ironic, given he didn't change anything across a whole season.

Lennon's team in that game would maybe have fared better. But only because they'd have started more defensively.

7. ardis1967

I've loved every minute of this season bar last night obviously, so I don't want to moan too much but once again we have been embarrassed in Europe because we insist on trying to go toe to toe with teams who are superior to us away from home. LEARN AND ADAPT for * sake. He's not dumb so why do we continue to do it?

Pogues and JC Anton like this.
  8. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I knew we would be brought down to earth last night, just didn't think it would be that embarrassing...

He's been carried away by results in pre-season and an excellent start to the season, especially v Bratislava.. in some ways you can't blame him for thinking we could go toe to toe.. in other ways you'd think he'd learn from being the dominant team in Scotland trying to make the elite level step up.

Within 10mins tho and how open we were, he had to change there and then..

It's all about how we perform in next rest of the Campaign, all is not lost..

We'll lose v Atalanta and Villa .. just want more streetwise performances in those games.. the other games we have a genuine chance of taking points.

Need to show a reaction now, starting on Sun..

McChiellini.., Pogues and Moustache like this.
  9. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic

Lol...the 7up bottle

Fox#4, AyrshireCelt84 and seamus1967 like this.
  10. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    As above, I expected last night to be a reality check but was hoping for a better performance.

One of the biggest issues tactically was playing a high line against such a pacey front three, with our back not having the pace to match. Time and time again we were sliced open so easily.

JC Anton and Pogues like this.
  11. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    Another heavy european defeat and another embarrassment to add to the list for Rodgers.

Does not adapt his tactics to respect the opponent and seen us badly exposed again.

Its 100% on Rodgers for me and he simply hasnt learned from all his experience in europe. We looked miles off a champions league level side.

Pogues, Lewis Kerr and Twisty like this.
  12. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    I still have full confidence in our system and way to play. It has all to do with quality of players in the backline. If we had CCV, and another CB as good as him, and a quality LB, we would instantly skyrocket in quality from the back. We are just to weak there and don't have the quality to play our way out.

We could park the bus yes, but we dont have the players suited for that. That is a Lenny type team with complete different players. Its give and take. Those type of teams would hurt us domestically instead.

With investment, we will become a decent side.

with all this said, ofc we should do some tweaks when we play a Dortmund away, but not change the foundation of our play. With good players comes good results.

13. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    I agree with pretty much all of this.

In the cold light of day it's madness to try and play against a team like that at their own game. It requires us to be 110% on it whilst playing our best game of the season. It just won't happen most of the time, nit to mention the fact we'd need them to be off their game.

There has to be a middle ground otherwise these results will continue time and time again.

Even one of their players came out today and said they were surprised with how wr approached them. I'm not one for showing teams oodles of respect but last night is an occasion where you have to. It was naive and reminiscent of the younger Rodgers, that I thought we had left behind.

Pogues likes this.
  14. PaulM1888 Moderator Moderator Gold Member

The formation actually doesn’t need to change. The use of the full backs, the positioning of the centre mids and the width of the wingers for large chunks of the game all do.

We don’t need to chuck our principles out the window, we can still press out of possession and build from the back in possession but leaving Dortmund’s (for example but Atlanta will be the same) 3 whippets against 2 of our defenders is absolutely and utterly criminal and it happened time and time and time again with impunity. Their forwards were licking their lips and aye fair enough they capitalised on every single mistake but as Rodgers himself has said on umpteen occasions - that’s what happens at this level.

15. Bhoyyo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    jelly & icecream when rangers die
    That's 6-1 acshhhhuly

16. Turd Ferguson Gold Member Gold Member

No, it was 6-0. Athletico Madrid. Actually

17. G_portillo

Fav Celtic Player:
    Van Djik
    History under Rodgers tells me that you are wrong. The issues last night didnt stem from centre back. Even with CCV, we still would have been beaten heavily.

We were particularly poor in midfield and our positioning. From being allowed to run through the lines unchallenged for the first, to Engels playing too far forward - given that we play with three forward players, we cant afford for Engels not to offer more protection to our backline. We need his power in the middle of the pitch in both attack and defence.

For their second we were nowhere in midfield. We can be so slack against top sides.

18. murphy88

If we set up the same way against Atalanta I’ll be furious.

Pogues likes this.
  19. Skelleto

Fav Celtic Song:
    Boys of the old brigade
    I agree to some extent mate, but look at it this way. Maybe a unrealistic thought but just play with the thought.

Lets say we had Dortmunds back line. Would our system still fail? Im not saying we can attract that kind of quality, but if we had a fit Tierney and a really good CB next to CCV, i think we are going to become a incredible team. With the exact same midfield and front 3 as we have now.

The problem is that we (understadably - spelling?) invest mostly in the midfield / attack because we get away with having low quality defenders domestically. We need to rethink that.

The sad truth is that our defense is *. As they only have to defend for 8 games per season. Imagine the s hock when they suddenly come up against a Dortmund after chilling playing St Johnstone all the time.

The best thing that could happen to us is that the SPFL teams start to attack us. That way our defense can actually learn and develop our defensive side.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2024 at 1:21 PM
  20. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

In fairness we played the majority of that game with 10 men.

JC Anton likes this.