1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Callum McGregor

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by greengrocer, Jul 5, 2014.

Discuss Callum McGregor in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. paulmcq1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    mcgeady, donati, boruc
    Fav Celtic Song:
    over and over
    He wants to drop so deep so he can take the ball amd make an easy pass, doesn't want to stand in the middle of the park and get involved in making things happen or having to win the ball, wasn't withing 2 yards of making a tackle tonight, same old * in the post match interview tonight "we'll have to learn from this" you've been learning from it season in season out for 10+ years cal.

2. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    The lack of protection our midfield gives the defence is a massive reason why we continue to get skudded in Europe.

Its not to say he's a bad player or at fault entirely, but at that level we really don't set ourselves up to succeed.

Twisty, neilly1987, McKagan and 5 others like this.
  3. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

4. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    Cracking for us domestically, but I’m starting to feel the proof is in the pudding in Europe now.

He’s been there as the constant at the base of the midfield for some of the worst results and performances we’ve ever had in Europe as a club. I’m thinking PSGx2, Barca x2, Leverkusen, Bodo Glimt, Atletico, Dortmund, Sparta Prague, Cluj. It has happened too many times at this level now - what has been learned?

Although for balance, it can’t be understated how exceptional he has been for us domestically and he’s been one of the most influential players in our history at that level

5. Lewis Kerr

In many ways, he epitomizes Celtic as a whole in the last decade.

Superb domestically, but found wanting and not good enough against the better European sides.

6. Mystic Penguin

Fav Celtic Player:
    Samaras
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Amhrán na bhFiann
    He was so bad tonight.

Rydo1888* likes this.
  7. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

A protector in Europe is essential..

If you look at Can tonight how many times was he in the right place in transition..

Callum is amazing at building the play and running games domestically when teams sit or v The Huns who don't have players who can hurt us..

Champions League football requires a defensive minded midfielder Callum is not that..

We can heavily criticise the defence but with no protection v elite opposition they are always up against it..

8. Lecs

Out of his depth at this level sadly.

Dominates domestically, which is our bread and butter. But we need better in Europe to qualify in champions league, but we won't get better.

9. Mr. Slippyfist

Hard to do the job of 3 men and put in a performance against a team pressing like the clappers.

Pogues likes this.
  10. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Exposed once again.

Happens every time he steps up a level both with club and country.

Domestically he's great bcoz in a side that dominates the ball he's well suited and his weaknesses are rarely exposed.

Managers and/or recruitment can be criticised for the annual refusal to buy a proper CDM but Mcgregor has been playing that role solely now for the past 3 seasons and despite his experience still appears to have absolutely no * clue how to play the role. Constantly let's men run off him, leaves the defence exposed and is out of position.

For the captain of our club I thought his performance tonight was a * embarrassment

Last edited: Oct 2, 2024 at 7:43 AM
  11. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I was under the allusion that Engels was a holding midfielder when he came in? Not seen him play there since but for me he doesn’t have the athleticism to play further forward so I’m a bit confused now. Also it’s holding Callum back by constantly playing him in a role that’s never been his.

12. Sean Treacy

Just looked so leggy for me.

13. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    Just like Brown was, way way out of his depth at this level.

RogicHasMagicToes and blackfish like this.
  14. jafa

Fav Celtic Player:
    King of kings
    Just checked up on old posts that I posted re Cal Mac. The same was being said by many on here from November 23. I even personally got slated for suggesting back in June from his Euros performances that we cannot go into this years CL with him as the sitting/holding CM player. And I stand by that assumption.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  15. ardis1967

baffling how some folk on here refuse to agree that we need a dominant CDM. I'm sorry but we have the budget to go and get one.
    I love Calmac but like others have said. Wildly out of his depth against this sort of opposition

16. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    Was awful, albeit totally isolated.

17. horseshoe

Said it last season, with the squad as it was then I wanted McGregor pushed forward and Iwata starting in the 6, not that Iwata is elite or anything like that and a team the level of Dortmund still probably batter us if he was in there anyway, but McGregor simply isn't a defensive midfielder, Iwata or someone like him would do a much better job shielding the defence because it's just a more natural part of their game.

We'll always get away with it domestically because we dominate possession so much, but teams that are equal to or above us in europe are always going to expose us through the middle if we try to play a high line with McGregor as the deepest midfielder.

18. Luis1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Engels would be better in that position for Atalanta and have McGregor and Hatate in front.

neilly1987 likes this.
  19. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    He is athletic, didn't show it enough last night though..

20. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Most attacking footballers at the top level now are fast, strong, mobile; not sure I’ve seen that yet in Engels but what I was saying before. Was he a holding midfielder in Augsburg?