1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I'm not paid to make those decisions at the club but there will be managers that exist around the world who consistently punch above their weight

2. Sween

Spot on.

The gap explains why we are never going to win the champions league. It's doesn't explain why that's the 4th or 5th time Rodgers has conceded 7 in away days in Europe.

I love Rodgers but it's arrogance to assume we can get away with playing the same strategy again and again away against top teams and get a different result.

Merseysidehoops likes this.
  3. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Losing by that amount isn't common in the Champions League but for whatever reason, we're usually part of the those 'rare' scorelines.

We are due a decent result, and one away from home, yet it never comes.

4. henriks tongue

Running about like headless chickens when nowhere near the opposing player and pretending to run a so called 'high press' is now embarrassing against good sides.
    You can only press when you are within a short distance and the ball is not yet under control, not from 15 yards away and the ball is either under control or has been moved before you get there.
    Incredibly naieve and poor from the players and the coach.

Physicality is another huge problem for us, we are so unbelievably weak and passive it's untrue, especially when CCV out.
    It has been an issue since Ange / post Broonie

Its also very clear who has the necessary quality and who doesn't, will we address it tho?
    Taylor, Maeda, Yang certainly, new signings maybe need time.

We have the cash to be more competitive....let's see if we spend it.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2024 at 8:20 AM
    The_Bhoy likes this.
  5. FrankMcCallum

Love the guy, but it’s unacceptable to concede 7 goals against any team.

I’ve no issue with playing our usual style, but once it goes 3 and 4, it’s damage limitation.

The fact we were so open whilst at a deficit of three goals is baffling. A 7-1 pumping will resonate throughout Europe.

I’ve criticised Ange in the past for being naive. Hard to say but that was different level naive.

Twisty likes this.
  6. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    Don't get me wrong, there's * all we can do about transfers at the current time, so yeah he should perhaps be more sensible about how he sets up.

But then, what could he realistically do? Play Welsh and Nawrocki? Go with 5 at the back with one of those playing alongside scales and trusty? That's just gonna add more mediocrity to the side.

I've said long before, if we are gonna hire a manager of the calibre of Rodgers, then we need to back him and his style.
    If this is his style and his desire to play like this in Europe (which we would all love the style to work in Europe), then he needs backed for it.

Sending him out there with basically CCC and AJ as the only passable defenders out of 9 that we have to select from, is woefully under backed.
    AJ, CCV, Scales, Nawrocki, Taylors Valle, Ralston, Welsh, Trusty.

Literally two are passable for the level we want to play at.
    That's on the club, not just the manager for me.
    Albeit I do agree, Rodgers then decides to stick to his game plan and takes the pumping. But we, as a club, let him go out there with that.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

7. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I do agree, but then we keep hiring these sort of managers (I want us to), but we then need to help them.

You guys are spot on that the best results we've achieved have predominantly came due to being as defensively sound as we could in those games.
    I don't believe we are as defensively sound as we COULD be currently. Even with all fit, we can have better defenders.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

8. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Knutsen at bodo id like to see when the day comes that Rodgers leaves again. Bodo are still getting results in Europe time and time again. Beat Porto 3-2 the other day. With 10 men too after 51 minutes

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  9. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Cos we’re actually really *

10. James Gold Member Gold Member

He has been backed this summer at least anyway no point pretending it was a bad window off the back of 1 game. There are teams with lesser budgets than ours that put up far more of a fight than us you only need to look to Sparta last night getting a draw in Germany against a team that just pumped Dortmund.

I don't think we could've made it any easier for Dortmund to play through us last night. Defending the halfway line against an absolutely rapid forward line is nuts.

Imagine Ross County coming to Parkhead and planting their back 4 on the halfway line thats basically what we just done

Peej and King of Kings like this.
  11. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    We some that before with Strachan, he done well in europe but the problem with appointing a manager like that ie a Clarke or a Moyes is that their football is * awful to watch bcoz they don't have the style of play to manage teams that 90% of the season dominate the ball.

Moyes got sacked for that very reason and Clarke is haninginb on with his finger nails bcoz hes incapable of playing against teams at a similar level to Scotland.

We appoint these football purists, Deila, Ange, Rodgers x2 bcoz we as a club and fan base have a specific way that we want to play and to be successful domestically we need to play that way.

As an example over last 3 or 4 years the huns have done far better than in us in Europe bit have been brutally bad domestically and constantly scrape * 1 - 0 wins at home in the league with eye bleedingly bad football but their fans don't care about good football as long as the have a couple of prodestants in their team that will do for them.

The issue we've had isnt with the type of a managers we've appointed it's the fact the ones we have appointed have shown no flexibility in how they set up.

I genuinely thought Rodgers had learned, last year we looked far better organised and harder to play thru when 11v11. He also went to man city as Leicester manager and won 5 - 2 playing a 451. Perhaps as others have said the pre season and start to this season has went to his head but he needs to learn from last night bcoz we have to equally hard games coming up over next month

12. King of Kings

Fav Celtic Player:
    boruc
    We’ll never have a quality of defence that is capable of playing as openly as we do against top European sides, and not get trounced.

Defensively, we were better in Europe with a pairing of Caldwell and McManus than we were with VVD and Denayer, both of whom were much better players.

Its great having individually talented defenders, but if you can’t defend as a team, stay tight, compact, limit space in midfield, frustrate the opposition…it’s largely moot, imo. Setting up a team to create and score goals is largely about getting good individual players and allowing them getting them into potions where they can utilise the tools they have to create chances. Setting up a team to defend is much more about the system itself than the individual.

Peej, Mr Shelby and Ryanm1984 like this.
  13. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Lennon was bang on tbh after the game last night.

We need to be nastier and quite simply, harder to beat. At the moment any decent side will be desperate to play us. Even at home tbh I still don't believe we are 100% safe and the likes of Leipzig will be interesting given the way they play.

There just has to be more pragmatism. Its bizarre as I think Rodgers IS more flexible than say, Ange. But he doesn't seem willing to acknowledge our clear frailties.

To put it simply again, how many teams with our level of player and playing in such a poor domestic league week in week out, are able to go toe to toe with sides like that? I'd say zero. Every other team seems to be realistic other than us. It's really bizarre.

I would say I can't believe I'm sitting here this morning going over the same thoughts and questions from 7 year ago against PSG for example, but here we are.

He simply has to alter things for Atalanta. Show this flexibility that we supposedly now have as he's already spoken about. We can't continue to get results like that year on year, it's just embarrassing for everyone involved and he's also been schooled by an inexperienced former player of his. Riddy.

One of the worst things about it is the hope that a lot of people had before it, only to be served with that again. I'll be honest I expected to get beat but I thought results like that would be a thing of the past.

King of Kings likes this.
  14. CookieMonster Geez yer cookies Gold Member

He has to change the tactics for away games in Europe, going man for man press against Dortmund was just suicidal given their pace up top and lack of lace in our backline.

They totally exposed the channels and swamped our midfield, the slow build up play doesn’t work against that kind of press. If we go long a few times over their backline and use our pace it would open the spaces, but no instead we just lost in our own half all game.

I would like to see a 352 against Atalanta if CCV is fit, have Maeda and Kuhn as wing backs with Kyogo & Idah up top.

15. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Saying he won't change the setup is depressing. Genuinely * is he saying? It was all the players fault and nothing to do with tactical approach? A dangerous message to send to the players especially if they feel like he left them exposed playing his way.

16. celticdawg

Spot on for me in regards to the Ross county analogy.
    Time will tell in regards to the players brought in but one things for sure asking the players who we all know have limitations to try and play high against top teams away from home is nearly always going to end up with a hammering .
    Brendan has had enough of these results now to surely realise its not a workable game plan and you have to wonder if its his way of trying to make a point to the board about the quality needed , if that is the case i doubt even better players would succeed being as open as we were last night !!
    Its time to give your players a chance in these games , there is enough pace within the team to do damage but at the same time give the likes of taylor, scales etc some help .
    Results like last night sets us back from being a credible name in Europe again and being honest are no fun to watch , truly baffling from Brendan as was his post match comments that he wont try and be tougher to beat by being more defensive !!

17. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail
    Elite level manager my * baws. The ego needs to be sat down and learn a lesson from WGS on how to play/set up in Europe. Gimp.

18. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

It's De je vu v the best CL opponents..

The acid test for him will be the 3 remaining home games and Dinamo away..

NomDePlum likes this.
  19. JamesM09

I honestly just don’t get his attitude last night.

Between the format of the tournament changing and the squad/momentum he has right now he has a real chance of making a dent this year.

He should’ve came out last night (and Atalanta away) with a practical defensive attitude.

Maybe we lose but we keep our GD and keep a general good feeling. We also practice for these games in case we make the playoff round.

What’s he going to do in the playoff round by the way if we get a team like Dortmund? Just go out and get pumped 7-1 trying to press them?

What’s the point in any of this if we’re not going to even try to adjust to progress?

Much better squads than us adjust how they play against better teams. It’s arrogant as * to somehow think that doesn’t apply to us.

Tim-Time 1888 likes this.
  20. Martybhoy53

He believes his own hype. It’s one thing beating St. Johnstone 6-0 but the CL is a different ball game. His set up bordered on arrogance. The amount of space Dortmund had in the game was unbelievable. It was 7 going on 10. He’s had plenty of of hidings in Europe but never learns. No way is he an elite manager. We are a laughing stock in Europe.

Twisty likes this.