1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Champions League Dortmund V Celtic Tuesday October 1st kick off 8PM TNT Sports

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Notorious, Sep 28, 2024 at 6:42 PM.

Discuss Dortmund V Celtic Tuesday October 1st kick off 8PM TNT Sports in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Paul McAuley

We'll bate Villa

2. LectersLuncheon

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henke
    Fav Celtic Song:
    all of them
    Waking up to this pish.

* disgusted. Had my fingers crossed when i picked up my phone, now gotta walk around all day with this "result" in my head.

* disgraceful.

Once again, looks like the usual suspects were woefully exposed. Rodgers is, correct me if im wrong, the WORST CL manager in the competitions history, and our unexplainable refusal to invest in an actual DM sees us become European surrender monkeys.

How the * do the players pick themselves up from such an embarrassment? Im sure theres more than a few fingers being pointed at the manager in that dressing room, but results like that can seriously * with a players head.

DonnyCelt likes this.
  3. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I wasn't considered good enough to be your girlfriend. :54:

Bad Ambassador likes this.
  4. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Not as far as I know. :giggle1:

5. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    * brutal man, I was beginning to believe these kinda results were behind us in the CL after we pumped Slovan, I was wrong.

6. Lewis Kerr

Imagine every trouncing you've seen us receive over the years, it was that and worse.

Taylor exposed in every way imaginable and giving the ball away for fun ✅

McGregor chasing shadows all game ✅

No composure shown from any player in any period of the game ✅

In-form players putting in disaster classes and hiding (Engels, Bernardo, Kuhn) ✅

Stupid mistakes for pretty much every goal ✅

Conceding a penalty in the first 10 minutes ✅

Equalising and then conceding 60 seconds later ✅

Conceding a second penalty ✅

Letting them attack us and play around us at will ✅

So yeah, it was an atrocious performance. Wouldn't recommend you watching it back or even the highlights. Because trust me, you've seen this MANY times already.

John Bhoy79 likes this.
  7. Taz Blind Justice Gold Member News Writer

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul McStay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    I know this is not what people are wanting to hear, especially in leiu of how Celtic can be so dominant domestically, yet struggle so much at this level, but can it really be that difficult for professional footballers to be able to work with multiple different formations and systems?

It is no surprise that the most successful Celtic have ever been at the CL is back when WGS was the manager, when we qualified out of the Group Stages twice, and since then we have only done so once. It's also not a stretch to say that WGS was also the most progrmatic manager that Celtic have had, willing to sacrifice style for results. It made for some ugly football at times, interspersed by flashes of Naka magic or McGeady and Skippy combinations etc.

Perhaps Celtic should reflect back on some of that pragmatism for when it comes to preparing for CL games - or learn how to defend better and not get spooked by the occasion or give the ball away so cheaply. And then rtevert back to the system that is so clearly very effective and dominant on the domestic stage.

No Celtic manager has ever lost his job because of poor European form, it is the bread and butter that matters after all. And admittedly given the form the team have been in since March and being aware of Dortmund's brittle defence it was always going to be tempting to see if we could go out, try to be positive and put them under pressure. BR has always had a pretty poor CL record, not just with us, but with Liverpool also, where he also only ever won one game.

Except that while thinking that overlooked the fact that BvB were capable of doing exactly what they did.

It's hard to praise anyone when a team has just been blown away, 7-1. Especially for a defender, but for Liam Scales, the score could easily have been into the double digits and that is an even more scary thought. Kasper had undoubtedly his first real off night - and what a night to have it on.

The only thing that can be done is take the Ted Lasso approach... "Every now and then there is a game so horribly bad that the only thing you can do it watch it back at double speed, with the Benny Hill theme playing in the background'.

That's the mental approach I'm gonna take to this, because I cant dwell on it anymore without it doing my head in, lol.

8. Lupis Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Unfortunately more teams have still to play their second matches...

9. constant

Shell shocked to be honest, never seen this coming going by how good and compact we have looked all season.

The two main culprits for me were Schemeichel and Trusty. To be honest, I thought it was strange going for a 37 year old goalkeeper in the first place, 38 next month, and Trusty who was villified by his own Sheffield United fans, and way over priced at £6M.

It's maybe time to give Sinisalo and Nawrocki their chances now.

fanakatic likes this.
  10. kenniemk2

That’s him taking it to the extreme aswell no one saying sit in and camp theirs such a thing as cut the intensity be compact keep the ball a bit longer string the game out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. kenniemk2

His philosophy is correct and one of the big reasons why the board brought him back …. The problem is his professionalism off the field affects him on it holidays here and their no modern video anylysis either he knows what he’s talking about just he’s lazy in his way of implementing it with the players on a weekly basis ….. hence why he’s better off staying a pundit now rather than a manager

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. GazF1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonathan Gould
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Bella Ciao
    Any other side after equalising would tighten it up for a while - we lasted 90 seconds before conceding again. 3 players in our own half against the fastest attack we'll face. No club in Europe plays the way we do.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2024 at 5:35 AM
    John Bhoy79 and seanm like this.
  13. seamus1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    This land is your land.
    I'm sure I've never in my life (that I remember) seen us beat so bad.

But the * directed a

seanm likes this.
  14. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I know this hurts - I watched it in an Irish bar in Florence, just me and a Dortmund fan after I'd persuaded them to put our game on - but we were playing a wounded animal tonight who have had a few bad results/performances recently but who are still a top team, away from home in the CL.
    It was brutal but I think we have to put this game behind us. We didn't turn up and maybe even our players had begun to believe their own hype. They didn't seem prepared for what they were facing. Hopefully they'll learn from it - better losing that game (though not as embarrassingly) than one of the games we can win.
    I plan to treat it as a one-off and not think about it. The players and the manager better be thinking about it though.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2024 at 8:28 AM
    singer61 and truedub1916 like this.
  15. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    Out of all the hammerings we've received throughout the years this feels like the worst and it's all so avoidable if we would just change our tactics.

Lecs likes this.
  16. oh bhoy

think its probably the worst because the game was over at half time ,they didnt even have to play that well . same old story when we play a better side every * is in a blind panic , gifting the ball to the opposition and making stupid mistakes .if rodgers was the elite coach some claim he would of had a much better gameplan for a tall physical team away from home , if he was that guy he would have saw that we were wide open and made some tactical changes early in the first half ,at half time he should hhave been parking the bus to prevent that humiliation .mc greogor is begining to sound like capitan dissapointed with this learn from it bullshit

John Bhoy79 likes this.
  17. John Bhoy79 Stop the world I want to get off!

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson,Jinky,McGrory,Jota
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    I don't think anyone is saying they're not a good side themselves it's more how ridiculously easy we made it for them. If we had made it harder for them we may have got something from the game or at least avoided that embarrassment. It wasn't that long ago that a less talented sevco team than our own current Celtic side won there and drew the return leg to knock them out of Europe. The idea that getting anything from last night's game was some sort of impossible task is simply not true.

JamesM09 likes this.
  18. John Bhoy79 Stop the world I want to get off!

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    The last thing we should do is "put this game behind us" and sadly it wasn't a one-off but an all too familiar story. We haven't learned a thing from our dismal European record of recent times and we need to start doing so. Kidding ourselves on that last night was just some freak result or no big deal will just lead to more heavy defeats.

19. John Bhoy79 Stop the world I want to get off!

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Does he not realise there are more options than either every Celtic player camped in their own box or wide-open with 8 of the 10 outfield players ahead of the ball? A worrying statement which sounds like he's learned nothing. Then again he's had about 5 European campaigns with us now and clearly learned nothing from them so why start now.

20. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    Thought it was just me but I mix the 2 up as well :56:

NomDePlum likes this.