1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Let's be honest they are not an elite level side. Yeah they got to champions league final last year but they had a fairly favourable draw.
    They are not a side any of the big teams would lose any sleep over

Peter T. Lawwell Esq likes this.
  2. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony

I thought he'd set us up similarly to how we started the opening of the Hun game. Sit in a bit and ask them the question.

That had to be the way. They're not great at the back and would leave you space to exploit but instead we wanted to go toe to toe with them in the press and let's be honest 9 times out of 10 against a German side especially you are losing that battle.

It was naive from Rodgers and the players didn't look comfortable. But still, the goals come largely from errors that have very little to do with tactics and all about brain farts. In saying that the midfield was wide open for a couple.

You just knew how it was gonna go when they went 2-1 up. To concede 94 second after equalising is just so celtic. Genuinely never known another club to be the same, yesr after year, manager after manager, in a competition. It is a bit bewildering at this stage, no matter the squad of players we have it's a consistent theme.

Does make you wonder. Our players go from looking great to looking like they've never seen a football before. Dunno if it'll ever change?

Hammy89 likes this.
  3. GazF1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonathan Gould
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Bella Ciao
    Napoli went out on 12 points in 13/14.

4. GazF1888

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jonathan Gould
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Bella Ciao
    How can a team who got to the final not be an elite side? They haven't lost at home in the CL for 3 years.

5. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Bcoz they aren't, pretty much explained that in my post.

Look at who they beat to get there. They had a draw so favourable it makes huns run to seville look hard. The best side they faced prior to the final was athletico Madrid and even we got a result against them.

They finished 5th in their league, that's not elite.

Next you'll be saying the Tottenham side that got to champions league final a few years back were elite

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  6. World Champion

At the railroad bar, about seven o'clock.
    He * himself at the CL.

7. T.Rogne25

I am shell shocked. I both understand and agree that the only way to be consistently good at a high level is to play a front foot style.

When you are 4-1 down away to a top team and you can’t get a touch, why would you not try and change anything.

Taz and martin_d like this.
  8. Turd Ferguson Gold Member Gold Member

Just not a European competition level manager. Never has been and never will be.

9. T.Rogne25

For me, their best 11 is a Europa League favourite and they were both lucky and industrious enough to make a CL final last year.

That team they went with tonight isn’t even as good as RBL or Atalanta for me. If we can’t play out against that tonight, we are in for a treat against those two.

10. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    I’ve been one of the loudest singing his praises tactically for most of this calendar year. However, that was seriously disturbing tonight; like he just regressed back 7 years or so.

I mean - going to one of the most infamously intense stadia in world football, to play last year’s CL finalists, who have one of the fastest front lines in world football - he can’t have seriously thought we were just going to run out, set up exactly as we would against Ross County, and hand them their * ….or did he?

Ryanm1984 and T.Rogne25 like this.
  11. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    He drew with Hearts at Anfield as Liverpool manager in Europe about 12 years ago, Brendan and Europe just don't go together hand in hand, so much evidence throughout his entire managerial career at Champions League and Europa League level to support that, he had a run in the Europa Conference with Leicester but that's about it, however even Moyes at West Ham won the Europa Conference, Olympiakos from the Greek League also won it last season

A big concern I've had too is that he seems to be back in full control of signings, Brendan has a shocking track record at judging on what players to sign or not, when Suarez left Liverpool he felt Benteke, Balotelli and Rickie Lambert would be adequate replacements, pretty certain at the time Liverpool scouting department recommended Cavani however Brendan wanted Benteke instead (I think it was Cavani they recommended although it may have been someone else who went onto have a top career as a striker)

The Matt O'Riley money all went on Idah, Engels and Trusty, Brendan wanted them all, really concerned that we won't see any of those players compete properly at Champions League level which is surely what they've all been signed to produce

Last edited: Oct 2, 2024 at 3:07 AM
  12. T.Rogne25

In pre-season against City and Chelsea I seen a good balance but tonight was a strange set up. As you say seemed like he set us up as we do every weekend and anyone with half a brain could see it wasn’t working 10 mins in.

Don’t understand this performance ar all.

13. seamus1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    This land is your land.
    Ffs yesterday he was great, today he's pish.

I cant stand the c#nts ego (Danny McGrain) but tonight he put out our best team and played the way we play

Big message to the board, the gap is huge.

I hate it but it is what it is

14. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    "Gap is huge" doesn't cut it when we have a far bigger transfer budget and wage bill than Sparta Prague who were extremely unfortunate not to get out of Stuttgart with 3 points last night, same Stuttgart side that pumped Dortmund little over a week ago, even Bochum and Heidenheim have went to Dortmund in recent weeks both losing 4-2, two sides with far smaller transfer budgets and wage bills than ourselves again

Last edited: Oct 2, 2024 at 3:59 AM
    The_Bhoy, Sween and kenniemk2 like this.
  15. kenniemk2

Might be some truth to those hos record with liverpool … a so callled elite side wasn’t great

A think this tunnel vision for epl is his downfall at times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. kenniemk2

Give Rodgers his due he never signed balotelli on mnf he actually slaughtered the signing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. seamus1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    This land is your land.
    So what should we do?

18. thailandceltic From Immigration to Domination

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paddy
    Fav Celtic Song:
    hail hail
    I watched that game and Sparta were brilliant and probably deserved to win.

I said on the match thread that this loss is partly down to Brendans ego.. thinking you can go toe to toe with Dortmund is madness. I said after the game the weekend that his swagger was back, I think our domestic form went to his head..

before the game I mentioned this was a free hit, I expected us to lose but 7-1 is * disgraceful even of its against last years finalists.

Getting some stick already this morning on my Football group ha

19. RogicHasMagicToes

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    Fair enough, just remember Benteke and Lambert being his choices so was thinking with Balotelli being signed during that time period that he was involved in that signing too but I take it back
    Appoint a manager who knows how to consistently punch far, far above his weight with a squad, exactly what we require in Europe

Brendan will always be a safe pair of hands domestically but in Europe we'll never go anywhere under him, far too naive at this level against the stronger sides with much bigger budgets

Brendan will see out the remainder of his contract but after that we need to source a manager who is known for punching way above his weight at multiple clubs

Personally, I've saw plenty domestic dominance, it's great, however I was 10 years old when we got to Seville, I never fully appreciated that Euro run being so young, 20+ years on and I'm absolutely desperate to see us make some kind of mark in Europe again, been far, far, far too long

20. seamus1967 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Song:
    This land is your land.
    So who do you have in mind?