1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. kenniemk2

Has to be said only time Ave seen a team on 9 points not go through ….. anderlecht away with extra man on the park and still lose the game * it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Paul McAuley

Would rather die on ma feet than live on ma knees. Where did you sit under Ronny under the big flag?

3. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Lyon away was the most painful..

4. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

They've got quality players no doubt about it but I think they'd have been pleasantly surprised how easy it was to play through us.

NomDePlum and Mr Shelby like this.
  5. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    They were extremelt clinical theres no denying it.

But having seen them before this season I just don't believe they're as good as made to look tonight. Just my opinion. I think as usual, we gave them far too much time on the ball and when you do that then teams with their quality are obviously gonna look good.

At least make them work for it.

JML67 and NomDePlum like this.
  6. straighttalker

Fav Celtic Player:
    Big Vic
    Totally sounded shellshocked in that radio scotland interview. Could hear it in his voice.

7. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    We did make it easy, but they'd have beaten lots of teams tonight, including a lot in the current competition. Will be keeping an eye on them as horrible as it was to watch them doing it to us they are exciting to watch.

JML67 likes this.
  8. murphy88

“Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.” That was basically us tonight. After they hurt us, our players froze and Rodgers didn’t do anything to try and halt their momentum.

The_Bhoy, greengrocer, JML67 and 2 others like this.
  9. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    Probably not, but you can only beat what is in front of you and they did that with some style. * they didn't really try that much the second half and still ripped us twice when the opportunity arose. I personally thought it could have been worse.

And you are right we should have made them work for it. So many players just disappeared tonight. Scales, Hatate, Schmichael and Valle the possible exceptions.

10. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    And, unusually for a Hun manager, a decent guy.

11. Rendog

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM song
    It's simple, we need to sit back and keep the game tight in these games. We have plenty of pace to hit anyone on the counter. We also have the option of going long with Idah.

12. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

Yeah they're a top side - I wasn't trying to discredit Dortmund with my original comment, just more scunnered at how easy it was for them.

NomDePlum likes this.
  13. Random Review

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jinky (ever) Lubo (modern era), KT (current)
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Fields of Athenry
    We are so bipolar. We went overboard on the optimism before the game and we're going overboard on the pessimism now.

It seems a bit churlish to talk about luck when we were clearly well beaten by a much better side, but if folk are going to go ham on how amazingly embarrassing the score was, then it really has to be brought up. First of all, their first 2 goals (which really startled us) both involved lucky deflections. Secondly, I know the top teams are incredibly clinical, but that was just ridiculous. One of their goals was a shot that went between 2 separate pairs of legs and nestled in the bottom corner FFS. I don't believe they can usually be quite that clinical. Their xG (presumably from open play) on the BBC's model was 2.91 (ours was 1.82). There's clinical and then there's that.

So yes, we were always going to be on the end of a chastening defeat from a much better team than us (the xG suggests roughly 5-2); but the embarrassing 7-1 scoreline is a bit unlucky. We're a better team than that.

Maybe I'm talking ****, but it's testable. I'll make a prediction. We might well get a heavy defeat (such as 5-2) in Bergamo; but we won't get another 7-1.

14. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    We thought we were getting them at the right time because of their leaky defence, coach under pressure and being weaker than last year..

Sadly we made it easy for them but they're still so far off us it's scary. We couldn't really lay a glove on them, despite us coming in to it in buoyant mood..

The manner of the defeat and how open we were is what stings and will sting for a few days....but I hope this doesn't impact on what we're building. We're still in a good place and the feelgood factor should still be there..

We're just no where we want to be just yet and have taken a heavy slap as a result..

Lessons hopefully learnt for Italy..

Rydo1888*, Mr Shelby and Wllm like this.
  15. Peter T. Lawwell Esq Chairman of Celtic FC PLC

Fav Celtic Player:
    Charlie Mulgrew
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The SAM Song
    It was similar to Germany vs Scotland in the summer for me. Impossible to say if they were any good because we were so poor that they never really had to do anything.

They had an xG of 2.8 tonight, two clear goal scoring opportunities. That was the penalties.

The other 5 goals weren't considered goal scoring opportunities. Essentially we gave away 5 goals from shots that shouldn't even have troubled us.

Very possible that they are the same as Germany at the Euros, a very average side who will get knocked out by the first decent team they come up against.

There's no buttering it up, that was a pure embarrassment.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  16. Slater67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Nakamura
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail HailLL
    Id swap the colts around for the Atlanta game, mibee get something with our first team v there colts, then we’ve at least got an excuse when we get pumped in the main game

The_Bhoy, kenniemk2 and McChiellini.. like this.
  17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    The concern for me is how easily we folded again.

A team playing as well as we have been despite the level of player we normally play against, to fold like that and make such basic errors in the process contributing to that fold, is a concern. It shows weakness again.

No denying now for me that the game in Bergomo takes on a new light. It was always a free hit of sorts but I think now we really need a performance.

McChiellini.. likes this.
  18. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    Got it spectacular wrong tonight but given we we have been playing this season and I preseason I can see where his confidence came from and can understand why he attempted what he did.

Last season, perhaps due to a weaker squad than he would of liked, he set us up far more structured in europe. Tried to set up in 2 banks of 4 with 1 midfielder helping striker to press, we looked far harder to play though when 11 v 11 than we had previously under him or Ange.

Tonight was total opposite and back to some of his worst days but we have started the season incredibly well and have been on a tremendous run since March so not gonna criticise him too much, however he has to learn from this 2nyt and adjust accordingly for Atalanta

19. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    So you're saying no to putting the commemorative print of the game on sale in the Celtic shop @Peter T. Lawwell Esq?

Not like you to leave money on the table.

Peter T. Lawwell Esq likes this.
  20. McChiellini..

Fav Celtic Song:
    For those who are in love.....
    Aye I agree mate.....but it's been our story for a long time now under countless different coaches..

The amount of times we concede and then concede again soon after is shambolic and typical us..

We really should've been going over there and stamping our game plan on them...no guns ho or anything but just tidy in possession at a slower pace and building our way in to the game..

It was frantic, even when we were attacking early on, then we'd press high constantly with almost no joy and were wide open to everyone single counter. They were literally running in at will on our back line and had overloads inside 10 minutes after already scoring 2..

Lost for words at it. Just a complete shambles of a night and performance..

I don't expect a thing in Atalanta now. Just hope we don't get battered and take it to the other sides in our home games and Zagreb away..

Mr Shelby likes this.