1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Yet MON never made it through CL group stages with probably the best side of the modern era.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  2. kenniemk2

Think everyone thought we would lose it’s the margin that’s got everyone upset most people were accepting of a 2-1 2-0 or 3-1 defeat keep it respectable and get points elsewhere …. But we gone done and * our gd which will be hard to get back up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    Smart enough finish second every season and get into the EL and get slightly less of a gubbing. Pure genius.

4. Dannybhoy81

Fav Celtic Player:
    Paul mcstay
    Fav Celtic Song:
    The celtic symphony
    It was good that there was pre game optimism, we don't often have the chance but surely people need to temper their expectations, I expected a 3 or 4 goal loss not 6 though but at the same time I'm still not shocked by it. We beat Bratislava and StJ with big scoreline and all of a sudden we start expecting results away to last seasons CL finalists

JC Anton likes this.
  5. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    It its a heid scratcher.

They're supposedly so far off of us but are unbeaten in 5 away and as you say have reached a European final in the past 2 years.

Just don't get it. It doesn't look like changing.

Atalanta could easily end up being simular to tonight. It's now gone from a free hit to quite an important game for me.

6. Ciaran_67

Fav Celtic Player:
    Jan Venegoor of Hessilink
    It’s got to be balanced right.

Look at the state of S. Clarke’s team at the Euros - pathetic defensive hoofball and got us nowhere as a nation. Went out with a whimper.

That from us tonight was equally dysfunctional because the gung ho press was all over the shop against a half decent team. Bernardo and the midfield pressing up beside Kyogo after getting turned about 5 times previous is just ridiculous.

I couldn’t believe the lack of in game adaptation. Genuinely mind boggling from Rodgers and the likes of McGregor from an in game position. How could they not see after the first 10 mins that Dortmund were breaking the press with ease and then get turned and sliced open like a kipper . Should have been 6 or 7 in the first 30 mins

We need to be able to sit in and then when we get the ball, keep possession for a few minutes and then try to be expansive and speed up as we progress into the final third - we’re not too bad at that when we do it right even in Europe

kenniemk2 likes this.
  7. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Compared to us they are geniuses.

The point is that they've got less resource than us by some distance yet continually do better in Europe. Doesn't matter if its the europa, we haven't done much there either.

Thats a concern for me.

8. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

The fact Dortmund didn't even have to play well to batter us is the most galling thing. It was so easy for them.

9. Seán Mac D Gold Member Gold Member

I wouldn't want us to go as far as what that * did with 4 CBs across the backline and long balls.

But you have to * with the * you've got. Expecting Trusty & Scales to go man-for-man with Guirassy and Adeyemi and come out on top is delusional.

I don't see why we can't somehow fashion a squad that incorporate the ability to go with a dogged 5-3-2 when required and an offensive 4-3-3 when we have the upper hand

kenniemk2 likes this.
  10. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    They did play well though. What part of their game did you think was poor?

11. kenniemk2

My thoughts exactly if they actually bombed out goldson for ctracts negotiations stalling they probably win Europa …. He was at fault for the goal they conceded gvb had them a baw hair away from a European trophy they were the better side until extra time when that aribo scored I honestly thought they were gonna win it

12. JML67 Gold Member Gold Member

I didn't say they were poor, I just think they come up against better sides on a regular basis and we made it easy for them to play a comfortable game.

13. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Aye I'm not buying this narrative that Dortmund were poor, they were excellent.

That doesn't change the fact we were atrocious and an utter embarrassment, both can be true.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  14. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    They played well but not 7-1 well.

We allowed them to get 7 goals despite them nit really getting out of 2nd gear. Anywhere near it, really.

Thats the main gripe with me and with most people. It's a common theme with us in Europe, we give quality players acres of space on the ball and somehow expect not to be punished. It's fine saying you're playing a quality side but when you allow them so much time and space to impact a game what do you expect?

No sympathy, for me. If we do even some of the basics right tonight then that scoreline is nowhere near as bad.

All ifs and buts now ofcourse but we've seen it so many times. They're obviously gonna look amazing with 20 yards of space to run into completely unopposed.

15. cammy07

The issue is (and I know the opposition are far better) but if the players play as poorly as that against the weakest teams we’ll face in this competition we’ll get annihilated. Dortmund were good tonight, but no where near the level of teams who usually batter us like that in Europe, but regardless of how we set up, (which was an utter joke btw) if we give the ball away continuously on the edge of our box, give away daft penalties and defend like primary 6 schoolboys we’ll get smashed off anyone in the competition.

Rodgers shoulders a large portion of the blame for that tonight but the players shouldn’t be getting off Scot free either because the majority chose tonight to put in their worst performance for the club.

The most worrying thing from Rodgers tonight was not the fact he started ultra attacking, but why he didn’t bother to change it when any * watching could see from that first 15 minutes we were in danger of shipping 10.

I guess the Uber positive way to look at it is, 2 games in we are in a position we’d have expected to be in albeit the manner of defeat tonight isn’t and can never be acceptable. I won’t hold my breath but so long as lessons are learned from that tonight all we can do is move on and go again.

16. Lewis Kerr

I could, posted this when the UCL draw was announced. Rodgers really struggles with adapting to/changing games.

17. kenniemk2

I remember he said something along the lines think it was after psg … what you want us to do hoof it up the park what’s that down for Scottish football the last twenty years …… I was appalled by the answer back then as we had had two European finals in the time he’s talked about he know fine well what is and is not Scottish footballs deficiencies. can be such a deflection artist at times

18. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    Thought they were excellent tonight. Sure we folded but they looked very good to me. Tonight on that performance wouldn't be surprised if they beat lots of teams in the competition.

19. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    1st paragraph is it in a nutshell.

20. NomDePlum

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Celtic Celtic
    Not disagreeing with any of this, just thought they played exceptionally well in attack. Hard to say if they are good at defending as not sure they had to do any really.