1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Lewis Kerr, Jun 19, 2023.

Discuss Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. FrenchCelt

Fav Celtic Player:
    Brown
    Fav Celtic Song:
    10 in a row
    4-4-2 or 4-5-1 against Atalanta please!

2. wulliebad

Its at this level you find out about players but also managers. He must feel a right * biggin us up for weeks on end to only do as every none celtic fan expected.

3. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

Has to learn from this tonight but I won't hold my breath.

4. cammy07

I actually thought we did look more solid last season and much better set up but that tonight was an absolute joke. If you set up like that away to Borussia Dortmund you fully deserve the utter pumping that’ll follow.

The players were abysmal, but Rodgers got it horribly wrong too.

5. Martybhoy53

A dereliction of duty from BR tonight. Arrogant, egoistic and stubborn.

6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Pragmatism not idealism..

Tbf, if we'd sat in.. the result would have been similar

7. The Thumb

Fav Celtic Song:
    The Celtic Song
    It's tactically naive.

Not even a top side which have played up so high as we did tonight..

FrenchCelt likes this.
  8. celticdawg

You can surely be able to pick yer battles ? Lost count how many times they played 1-2 passes and were clean through !! To answer yer question i'd rather make it difficult for superior teams even if it ends up 1-0 -2-0 rather than get spanked like this having a go .
    Results like this can sap the confidence very easy , brendan is a quality manager he has to adapt against the better teams at least away from home !!

9. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Honestly thought he'd have learned but clearly hasn't.

Big big lesson..again. he's been schooled by a former player of his who's massively inexperienced. They have much better players, yes. But we have this awful habit of going into games like that and ALLOWING the best players to have acres of space and play at will. I haven't seen any other team in Europe be as slack game after game against top quality players.

What has gone on during training all week? Have we not identified Julian * Brandt as a threat? The guy had 15 yards of space at some points in that 1st half.

Back down to earth with a bump. Still miles aff it and we probably never will be at it, at all, tbh. But the manner of the defeats has to change at the very least.

Playing the same way as you do against St Johnstone away vs beaten UCL finalists. Insanity.

Laughing stock of Europe. Again.

10. Paul McAuley

We dont recruit holding players because we don't need them domestically. The last tim
    The confidence loss is my only worry from that.

11. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Scary that some people actually think like this. * delusional.

Aye let's continue playing against Dortmund and Atalanta like we do against St Johnstone and Ross County. Who cares if we get skelped by 5, 6 or 7? It's the Sellick way!

Anyone with a brain would rather the manager be flexible and recognise when it's time to go gung ho, and when it's time to soak up pressure and play a different way. You know, the way most managers do.

King of Kings likes this.
  12. Zander Gold Member Gold Member

Sat in the pocket behind Engels all game and we did * all about it. Tweak to a double pivot or something, anything. Really poor management

13. Foley1888

See the only problem here is until his last year at Leicester when he went back down to the EPL he wasn’t. He was more tactically versatile and changed shape to be competitive against better sides than his own. All be it he had better players at his disposal there.

That tonight showed a lack of awareness of how good the opposition he was up against were. I think this is where football has changed from when we used to compete at the CL level, not only are the better teams littered with better technical players they also have superior athletes too. Dortmund's front 3 were all big and fast they literally ran about with our players like Taylor, Bernardo etc hanging off them. I think as much as we struggle with the technical step up the physical is becoming even more of a hurdle where that was never the case in the O’Neil and Strachan days. Particularly O’Neill we would often be superior physically to our opposition. Strachan could set up a team to be greater than the sum of its parts and get them believing, when you look back on what he achieved with what was at his disposal in Europe it was incredible.

Arguably if we had got knocked out a CL group in third in one of his second or third season we may have made a run to a Euro final given how well we did in those games.

These days your only chance is to be fairly low block against the big guys, have pace or presence on the counter and hope for a lot of luck. A keeper who pulls of world class performances also helps.

neilly1987 likes this.
  14. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

Said it elsewhere but we would maybe have had half a chance tonight if we actually had a proper defensive midfielder and played a more defensive style.

451 with a defensive midfielder, flanked by McGregor and Engels. Kuhn and Maeda, two hard working wingers with bags of pace to hit them on the counter attack along with Kyogo.

That should be what we're doing in games like that. Not playing a high line against one of the quickest attacks in Europe.

neilly1987 likes this.
  15. Lewis Kerr

The Bratislava win was great but the level of opposition needs to be taken into account.

We've suffered these types of defeats so many times under his tenure. I said before he re-signed that he is clueless against the top sides.

Atalanta, Leipzig and Villa will probably be the same. I'm not looking forward to those games at all. My optimism has been totally drained - not that I thought today would be very different, but I expected a bit more of a fight.

Funny thing is we can still qualify if we win our home games. But I don't have confidence in Rodgers at this level or in most of those players on the pitch. It's * groundhog day and I'm genuinely just sick of it now.

That was far worse than the Barcelona, PSG, Bayern, Real Madrid and Atletico defeats.

Random Review and neilly1987 like this.
  16. ddub11

How many times are we going to say he has to learn from it?hes not a novice manager,i can see we cant play toe to toe against the better european teams so why the * cant he?sick of people saying we have to learn....we all know he will do the same against atlanta and if we get stuffed people will still say we have to learn.

Lewis Kerr and kenniemk2 like this.
  17. kenniemk2

Not taking responsibility in his post match comments ….. this is gonna happen again isnt it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Wllm Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    He's been almost flawless domestically this season but that was a shambles...

Need to be much better against Atalanta, Leipzig etc

19. BigDoggyWoofWoof

No, we won't adapt. Got it. Learnt nothing.

20. kenniemk2

Reporter asking right question their btw and he’s just said he’s not gonna change it in these games

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk