1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Champions League Dortmund V Celtic Tuesday October 1st kick off 8PM TNT Sports

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Notorious, Sep 28, 2024 at 6:42 PM.

Discuss Dortmund V Celtic Tuesday October 1st kick off 8PM TNT Sports in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. stew37

Less said the better, harsh lesson. Scales only one who really turned up, Schmeichel made a few good saves, Hatate few good touches when he came on. Overall, we looked very slow in comparison and didn't press at all.

Unable to compete with them basically. Plenty more points available to possibly qualify. Can't see us getting anything away at Villa or Atalanta, hopefully we turn up against teams like Bruges and Young Boys. We'll need to be much better than tonight to even beat them.

seanm and singer61 like this.
  2. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    Relax, we'll win the return leg 7-0.

Rydo1888*, Drakhan, NomDePlum and 2 others like this.
  3. singer61

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ynwa
    Let's win our home games and see how we go .

seanm likes this.
  4. DonnyCelt

Scudded by a Dortmund team that isn't great by their standards at the moment. * proper reality check.

seanm and singer61 like this.
  5. ede

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kieran Tierney
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    Really poor. Couldn’t make a pass and even when that was occurring we still kept doing it and giving the ball away in our half. McGregor was really poor, possibly our worst player today alongside Taylor Bernardo who both gave the ball away so many times in the first half, 2 of which led to goals.
    Only pass mark was Maeda and maybe Hatate who did well when he came on.

6. Jeannie960 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Daizen Maeda
    It would have been better to try and soak up the early pressure rather than go toe to toe with them. Maybe by being more defensive we wouldn't have left ourselves wide open. Still I expected more of certain players.

7. singer61

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ynwa
    If only there was a return leg

8. CFC

The team will grow from this. If this result was coming I’m glad it’s happened so early on. They’ll know how it feels now and they get to watch this game back on replay, watch all their mistakes over and over again. Rodgers can go back to the drawing board with his ego rightfully deflated and rethink his ideas for the next one. This competition is a real wake up call about the standard we need to compete at and the problem is our warm up games in the league are light years away from this, giving us a false sense of our own hype. Now we know where we are at. The learning begins. Let’s see where we’re at after 8 games…

chiefo and singer61 like this.
  9. Foley1888

Getting beat isn’t surprising but the manner of defeat is a joke.

Really lacking in the basics there tonight, against those sort of teams you need to be disciplined and play in a shape. We did none of that. Our full team were all over the place and the goals we lost, a couple of good finishes in there but the lack of desire to defend and get to a loose ball first caused as much of what happened tonight as their quality did.

I really don’t get why we played that way, last season we tried to be more compact and despite all the gusto about could we cause an upset, we had to know we were going to have to be organised. The scary thing is you could see how teams could get at that Dortmund side but we never gave ourselves a chance. Just constantly lack of ability of the ball and players giving the ball away needlessly.

The honest truth is the type of players we need to make us hard to beat at this level we don’t really need for 95% of the games we play. Although I still think we could be doing better in our defensive recruitment but it isn’t going to make that big a difference when you play like that with a lack of character.

10. CountyDownFaithful

Embarrassing is an understatement.

Absolutely raging with Rodgers.

Look at his results in Europe against bigger teams, he’s learned nothing.

The players were no better. McGregor, Taylor, Bernardo, Engels, Trusty and Kuhn were empty jerseys.

We never addressed our biggest flaw in the summer window - lack of athleticism in defence and midfield.

Lewis Kerr likes this.
  11. Jamesy Bhoy 7

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kayal
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Youll Never Walk Alone/ Fields of Athenry
    I don't even care about qualifying atm I'm just sick to death of getting hammered year after year and not learning from it.

singer61 likes this.
  12. singer61

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ynwa
    Here here m8

NakamuraTastic likes this.
  13. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Said elsewhere but that's up there as one of our most embarrassing nights in Europe. 7-1 going on 10.

I get it, they got to a European Final last season for a reason, and if it ended 3 or 4-1, then I'd accept it, but the way we played was so, so poor, to say it was men against boys is an understatement.

14. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Honestly, it's the only way we're going to compete at this level.

The huns dragged teams down with their * anti football to get to a European final.

They'll love this result. They have 3 or 4 games a season where they live it up, and it's not even then handing out any sort of result against us. They have to wait for some European team to do it.

We'll win the league again... But they'll always have that Dortmund result in a competition they can't get into.

15. RalstonFanClubPresident

Fav Celtic Player:
    Antoni Ralstonovic
    Yep even forgetting about the gap in ability, just the difference in physicality was stark. Looked like men against boys.

16. seanm

Lol me and my dog seen this coming since the draw was made. Anyone who thought otherwise is nieve.knew we would get humped in europe.HH

17. singer61

Fav Celtic Player:
    larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    ynwa
    Brendan has to learn from it . Let's see if he does

18. NakamuraTastic

Fav Celtic Player:
    Naka, Rogic & Alan Watts!
    Lol

Rydo1888* and Hammy89 like this.
  19. neilly1987 Do I look happy? Do I look settled? Gold Member

That's a * embarrassment.
    I'd feel the same if it were against one of the proper heavy hitters like a Real,City,PSG,etc but I'd maybe be a bit more understanding if they had to rely on their quality to shine through.
    Tonight was an absolute mauling and I know they got to the final, but that should never be happening against Dortmund. Fair enough, they're better and their players cost more or whatever but between our tactics and players' performances we should be putting up more of a fight than that. It could have easily been double figures too if it weren't for Schmeichel and Scales.

singer61 likes this.
  20. Lewis Kerr

I wasn't confident about this and knew we'd get thrashed, but that was one of the worst performances I've seen from us.

So many aren't good enough for this level. Our lack of ruthlessness in the transfer windows has come back to bite us on the * yet again.

McGregor, not good enough. Needs replaced by a proper CDM. Move him forward or bench him for these games, preferably the latter.

Taylor, not good enough. Needed replaced by someone in the £7m-£10m range.

Trusty, waste of money. Would have taken him for £3m as cover domestically. Blatantly obvious he was never going to be good enough for Europe.

Rodgers, totally clueless against the better teams. Hasn't learnt a single thing from his time here 8 years ago. Has overseen our worst defeats in Europe and nothing ever changes.

There were other problems today too, the entire team froze. But we need to stop being sentimental and get real about the level of our players. We also need to buy much better.

A sobering reality check. Same old, same old.

singer61 likes this.