1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Cameron Carter-Vickers.

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by The Thumb, Aug 31, 2021.

Discuss Cameron Carter-Vickers. in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    Metatarsal...not ideal.

I'd play Trusty alongside Scales. Nawrocki should be ahead of Welsh. Despair if he isn't.

Again with CCVs injury history we'd have ideally got rid of Welsh and got another CB in. Still think it's another position that can be further added to.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2024 at 10:25 AM
    Hammy89 and martin_d like this.
  2. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Only because left-footedness is rarer than right-footedness. Having two CBs with the same foot preference is surprisingly common. It’s just usually two right-footers. Having two left-footers is no better or worse than that.

Also, you’re putting words in my mouth re Scales. Why would it be Scales to move to RCB when he’s the one who’s used to the system, and used to playing LCB within said system?
    The natural choice when CCV is out - if especially if Nawrocki’s judged not to be fit - is to play Trusty at RCB. Similar profile to CCV into the bargain (albeit a bit taller), and crucially, he hasn’t played in Rodgers’ system yet, so wouldn’t as big a leap for him to come in on that side as it would be for Scales to move to the right.

NomDePlum likes this.
  3. Boruc17

Fav Celtic Player:
    Forrest
    nah. Rather have him fit and firing every single game. We’re a Better team with him in it but if he had to leave then we’d be getting big money and could be replaced.

The_Bhoy and Sean Treacy like this.
  4. murphy88

I’m not putting words in your mouth, that’s just my thoughts on it. I’ve not seen enough of Trusty, but I personally just cannot see Scales on right side. So in my opinion it would need to be Trusty, however he might be as equally one footed as Scales though, I’m not sure. As I said to another poster, I think it hampers us from an attacking point of view as well because it’s not as natural for the player to get the ball out his feet and move it quickly. It’s a more difficult pass to find the winger, and that is a big part of how we try to attack.

5. Officer Doofy Come to me, human man Gold Member

We need another CB in January. Needed one more in the summer.

CCV is immense but he’s becoming a constant injury worry now. We need someone capable of filling in for him or eventually replacing him.

6. PaddyJamieson

Aye, got to be Trusty alongside Scales.

7. Can'tbehooped

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    If we need 1 more it has to be an association trained player if they were to be in the squad or we'd need to drop someone.

Who would you take that fits that for us?

8. Foley1888

The one more in would likely replace Nawrocki for me. Welsh if he goes will be replaced in the squad by someone like Dane Murray next year as a 5th choice back up.

In January we should look at Ben Cabango at Swansea or Zeno Van Den Bosch at Antwerp who have expiring contracts come the summer and look to sell Nawrocki.

9. Foley1888

The one more in would likely replace Nawrocki for me. Welsh if he goes will be replaced in the squad by someone like Dane Murray next year as a 5th choice back up.

In January we should look at Ben Cabango at Swansea or Zeno Van Den Bosch at Antwerp who have expiring contracts come the summer and look to sell Nawrocki.

10. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Not necessarily. Depends what sort of pass, and - maybe crucially - which winger.

I didn’t hear you or many others making such ardent arguments about Starfelt on the left. One or two did sometimes mention getting the ball out quickly enough, and I do agree with that, and always prefer one right-footer and one left. However, if we tolerated 2x right-footers for I literally dk how many years, we can do the same with 2x left-footers for a handful of games or less.

11. murphy88

I really liked Starfelt, but if there was a fault with him, it was on the ball. Which I think was mainly because naturally it is more uncomfortable for him to be playing on the left side of the two. You think about a centre half playing a pass to the winger. If the centre half is playing on the wrong side, I think it gives the full back more of a chance of intercepting the pass. I think it’s easier for the winger to take the pass on the half turn if it is passed from a centre half playing on the correct side also. I don’t think some fully appreciate how much more difficult it is for the centre half, especially in a team like ours who always want to play out from the back and pretty much all our attacks start with them. Which is testament to how good Starfelt was. Trusty might be fine as I said initially, but it is undoubtedly more awkward.

12. Westlondonscot Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Calmac
    Yeah I can see Welsh leaving in the Summer, Murray then being 5th choice. Nawrocki should be the one to go, he's obviously not fancied and he takes up a European spot. If he can't even be 4th choice what's really the point in having him around?

Foley1888 likes this.
  13. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Mate, all I’ve ever said is that we can get away with it for a few games if we managed with nearly the exact same thing for years. I was one of the few saying the above about Starfelt’s right-footedness (genuinely don’t remember you saying it but fair enough).
    Also, I’d now add you’re being a bit unimaginative re CB passing options; it can actually make it easier to pass to the other winger when you think about angles.
    But that aside, I think it’s quite clear who the better option is for RCB between Trusty and Welsh, and even between Trusty and Nawrocki, given that the manager has never had faith in the latter.

eire4 likes this.
  14. murphy88

All I said initially was the only problem with it is they are both left footed. I’ve also said a couple of times I’ve not seen enough of Trusty, so although from the little I have seen he looks totally one footed, he might adapt well. That’s a naturally harder pass for the centre half to make the one you are talking about, due to the number of opposition players they would have between them and the winger. It’s probably still the two I would play at centre half, I’ve not suggested I’d play anyone else beside Scales. It would undoubtedly make it more awkward for us though. Nawrocki actually looked decent on the ball I thought. Pretty clear he obviously isn’t showing enough to get in the team though, and I’d trust Rodgers on this.

15. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Missed training again today

Hopefully at home resting up ahead of the cl game next week

16. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

17. Notorious Gold Member Gold Member

Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers has said centre-back Cameron Carter-Vickers won't feature against St Johnstone on Saturday while speaking to the media ahead of tomorrow's league encounter.

The 26-year-old was absent from the matchday squad against Falkirk in the Scottish League Cup last weekend, after which the manager told Premier Sports the player had been "suffering" with a metatarsal injury below his toe.

Speaking on Carter-Vickers' current status on Friday afternoon (September 27), Rodgers said: "Cameron will miss out tomorrow. He's just got a pain on his big toe, in the joint there, so we just have to look at that.

"He's been playing with it for a little while, but we've got to try and manage it now because he was in pain in the Bratislava game. Hopefully it'll settle down quite quickly and we'll see where it's at for Tuesday."

When pressed about whether or not Carter-Vickers will be fit enough to feature on the road against Borussia Dortmund in Tuesday's Champions League encounter, the manager said he and his backroom staff will review the player's status day-by-day.

Rodgers added: "It's difficult to tell [if he'll be fit for Tuesday]. We'll just concentrate on this game, and then we'll see where he's at over Sunday, Monday."

18. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Sends shivers down your spine.

19. HTG "I have an uncle who does Yoga"

Fav Celtic Player:
    CCV
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let the people sing
    Explains his form this season, bar the huns game he hasn't been the same level.

Doesn't sound like a long term injury but I'd be surprised if he makes Dortmund

greengrocer and Hammy89 like this.
  20. Sean Treacy

Just a blast of gout, he'll be fine for Tuesday.