1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Celtic should bid to host the 2027 Champions League final

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Drakhan, Sep 25, 2024 at 7:04 AM.

Discuss Celtic should bid to host the 2027 Champions League final in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. AdamRS Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Just can’t get enough Depeche mode
    When I did the tour I did come away thinking the changing rooms were very small and basic and the tunnel felt tiny.

Trivial things I know but would be nice to revamp it.

JC Anton likes this.
  2. Peej Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Thom
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Let The People Sing
    I was under the impression our short coming was the away dressing room and the access for players and ref.

I'm racking my brain, but think the dressing room situation is fine. Almost sure last time I was on the tour the guy mentioned something about both being similar - I could be making this up.

As for the access, it doesn't say they need to be within the stadium, but just secured and direct access. That could be something that is built out with the stadium, connected to the side big entrances to the pitch, where covered(indoor) and secure access can be created without needing to physically change the building itself.

After that, I'd assume we would meet everything else in that list, if not surely able to amend it.

Considering our custodians love to use the club as a show off thing and we have excess cash for no apparent reason, I'd not be against the upgrades if it meant we could host aome major european finals

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

3. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Serious question; we have such a high amount on the season ticket waiting list. Why has there been no talk of upgrading the stadium? And if so what is the realistic capacity we could upgrade to?

4. Mr. Slippyfist

I'm down at the stadium most days during the week, either walking round or cycling past.

The inside is absolutely fine. The changing rooms have been upgraded, the tunnel walkway (out past the single corridor) has had a facelift.

Other than that (imo, of course) nothing needs drastically changed.

The exterior is a different story.

5. BigDoggyWoofWoof

We've recently done up the dressing rooms but I'm uncertain whether this involved expanding them.

Something to bear in mind also is that the requirements for stage 5 used to include massive spaces for the referees' dressing room, 2 separate VIP sections capable of holding 200 each, 30+ working stations for media crews, etc. It could be that the North Stand just lacks the space for these facilities, or it could be we have since upgraded to meet them.

One thing that is potentially preventing us making such upgrades is that UEFA abolished category 5 while appearing to continue to give European finals only to teams that used to fit that category. So they presumably have internal criteria for meeting this standard, but publicly there's no clear criteria for assessment for a CL final. We technically already meet it by being category 4 but so do Hearts and they're not getting one any time soon.

It's something that I think could reasonably be asked at an investor meeting as I can't imagine anyone but the higher-ups have a clue how realistic hosting a CL final is for us.

Peej likes this.
  6. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Changing rooms have been updated but sill small in comparison to other elite stadia..

The inside has all had various face-lifts over the years, but that's all we're able to do with it.. the old building restricts it.

The last stadium tour I went on, I really noticed how much it needed pulled down and rebuilt..

eire4 and JamesM09 like this.
  7. JamesM09

I think they're probably waiting on the right economic conditions before going ahead with anything. I reckon if they could get a guaranteed run at the UCL for an extended period they would probably pull the trigger on it.

It's something I'm really hoping they can go ahead with in the near future, I just hope they get it right. They need to get as much in there as possible in terms of hospitality and things like that and really move the club forward in that regard.

The_Bhoy and JC Anton like this.
  8. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Maybe one of the reasons, we're hoarding cash.

9. JamesM09

I think having cash helps but this type of development I would've thought could be funded with finance since it will generate fairly predictable amount of income once it's done.

The_Bhoy, kenniemk2 and JC Anton like this.
  10. Twisty Champions Again !!! Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubo
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Celtic Symphony
    First thing I would do would be make the appearance better on the way in from the retail park side. Bit of a dump.

The_Bhoy likes this.
  11. cidermaster Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    That Depeche Mode when we score!!
    Dam right we should, we will be going for 3 Champions Leagues in a row!:84:

12. Mr. Slippyfist

Well, unless we spend millions upon millions that we really do not need to do knocking down and replacing the stadium or relocating, all we can do is upgrade.

Again, down to opinion, but I * love CP the way it is - layout wise.

JC Anton likes this.
  13. Mr. Slippyfist

Paint the poles. Simple.

14. jake10

Fav Celtic Player:
    whoever is our new record spend
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Go on home british soldiers
    people lost their * because lawwell spent millions on disco lights while trying to penny pinch on McGinn transfer and McGinn has shone in epl since, good reason to lose our * Tim

JC Anton likes this.
  15. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

I love it too.. but it definitely could be improved upon.

16. BigDoggyWoofWoof

Not sure if this is what you meant, but it's a common misconception that Celtic Park is a listed building. This is from the Historic Scotland listed building search portal. The necropolis is listed and Parkhead is a listed conservation area, but Celtic Park lies outside it and there is no marker indicating a listed structure on any of its stands.

[​IMG]

We could tear the Main Stand down tomorrow and start from scratch if we wanted to. I'm not saying we should do that, but we don't necessarily have to work around the existing structure of the Main Stand if it makes improving the stadium impossible or overly costly.

jake10 likes this.
  17. JC Anton Get yer, hats, scarfs badges & tapes

Aye, you've misunderstood.. I know we could tear it down and rebuild it.. but what I meant is we can upgrade/change the inside of the current structure but we can only do so much with it as it is still essentially the same building as it was when it was built.

18. Tim-Time 1888 Always look on the bright side of Life Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Enrico Annoni
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Hail Hail

If thats what you believe fair enough mate.

19. murphy88

:56:

Please do enlighten us.

20. BigDoggyWoofWoof

Fair enough. I've no idea how much the inside can be changed, though much of it does look pretty solid.