1. Having trouble logging in by clicking the link at the top right of the page? Click here to be taken to the log in page.
    Dismiss Notice

Yang Hyun Jun

Discussion in 'Celtic Chat' started by Idioteque, Jul 14, 2023.

Discuss Yang Hyun Jun in the Celtic Chat area at TalkCeltic.net.

1. Sean Treacy

And also that Valle needs drip fed into a first choice team, nae like yesterday.

martin_d and Skelleto like this.
  2. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson, McNamara, Moravčík, Boruc and Boyd
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA, Fields Of Athenry and The Celtic Song
    Aye, forgot about those. But his best performances have consistently come from the bench compared to starting.

I think he'll be an impact sub at best. I don't have an issue with that tbh. We do need better though.

martin_d and The_Bhoy like this.
  3. Merseysidehoops

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Over & Over
    Deffo and impact player for me. Does well
    Coming off the bench and gives us pace and directness

martin_d, The_Bhoy and Sean Treacy like this.
  4. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Think the issue is tho we don’t play in a league where “better” would come and sit on the bench behind Maeda or Kuhn. Yang to me is the perfect mix of young, potential for growth, but inconsistent enough that he’ll know himself he can’t be complaining about not starting. Then also gives 100% any time he does get a game.

happy enough if that’s only 20+ games a season when there’s currently 2 undroppable wingers in maeda and Kuhn ahead of him. I’m sure Yang will be on very low wages too.

do we pay for instance a £6m fee for a winger on 30k a week from down south to then come sit on the bench as much as Yang?

King Kwon, Hammy89 and DenverBhoy like this.
  5. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    No. We scout better to get another Kuhn or Maeda. Preferably one who is younger who can take the baton from them one day.

martin_d and The_Bhoy like this.
  6. King Kwon Gold Member Gold Member

Isn't that exactly their point though? Why would a Kuhn who's starting every game for Rapid Vienna or a Maeda who'd just come off leading the league in scoring in Japan come here knowing that barring an injury to the existing wingers, they're looking at sub appearances and cup games for the forseeable?

Leone Naka Fan likes this.
  7. Hammy89 Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Fav Celtic Song:
    How else do we improve?

We didn't pay £6m for Kuhn or Maeda and they're not on £30k a week?

If we're paying that sort of package, I'm expecting a Engles level of winger coming in.

We have McGregor, Engles, Hatate, Bernardo and McCowan as options in the middle. We don't have that depth on the wings. Nowhere near it.

8. Ryanm1984

Fav Celtic Player:
    Kyogo
    If that's the players attitude then we don't sign them

We should be looking for players with attitude of I'm as good as they are and I'm going to force my way into the team.

Absolutely no doubt that is/was Idah's mindset before signing

Hammy89 likes this.
  9. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    I agree we can improve on better scouting, but I feel like my original point was Yang fits the profile of a good option off the bench right now. When we know we can’t realistically as a club get a better option like Maeda/Kuhn or better to sit on the bench.

Buying an “Engels level” is more £10-12 million not £6million so there’s no way we do that and it not immediately mean Kuhn or Maeda are benched. Would they be happy to be a sub each week to then further develop as a club?

Giakoumakis wasn’t happy to sit on the bench and left.

I totally agree we can always get better! But I think we need a dose of realism when thinking about that too. We’re never gonna be able to entice players to come here just as options and I don’t think the hierarchy of the club would change our model to do that

Hammy89 likes this.
  10. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    How do we know Yang isn't another Kuhn. He's 3 years younger. Kuhn has played for 6 clubs in the past 6 years so took time to get to this stage. Players develop and will eventually reach their full potential whatever that is. Yang hasn't reached his potential yet.

The_Bhoy and Hammy89 like this.
  11. martin_d

Fav Celtic Song:
    Willie Maley Song
    Because under a responsible manager who will rotate - as Rodgers will - that simply wouldn’t be the case (if they’re scouted properly, and prove to be genuine quality).

12. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    People are taking an awful lot from that sub appearance.

Personally still think he doesn't do enough when given the opportunity.

An impact player actually makes an impact on games. He had a good run and shot but other than that he wasn't the one that altered it. He needs a loan and we need better to rely upon.

Just don't see much in him at all. He's very meh.

James and Callum McGregor like this.
  13. eire4

Fav Celtic Player:
    Henrik Larsson
    Jury is still out for me on Yang but there is no doubt he made an impact and was good when he came on at the weekend. If nothing else he bumped himself above Palma in the pecking order on the left IMHO.

Mickmac and Ryanm1984 like this.
  14. Mickmac Gold Member Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    James Forrest
    Fav Celtic Song:
    YNWA
    I think we expect too much of these young players coming from abroad and expecting them to perform immediately. If we think of any 20 year old we know going to South Korea on their own, trying to fit in and do a very public job under intense scrutiny - I think it's fair to say that they'd struggle.
    He's had a year under his belt now and will be more in a position to kick on. There's still improvement to come - it's just whether he can improve enough.

eire4 and The_Bhoy like this.
  15. Foley1888

For me the biggest problem with him is the lack of end product. He had a couple of great dribbles and was direct when he came on at the weekend but other than a powerful shot straight at the goalkeeper what else did we actually get?

Even his top performances for us Aberdeen 6-0 and Dundee 7-1, he got 1 goal vs Aberdeen and 1 assist against Dundee despite a lot of nice dribbles and giving the full back a hard time.

He should be watching Kuhn, as he has similar tools, not as quick but good close control and ability to go either way but his passing and decision making is so poor compared to Kuhn. Yang even has a physical advantage in terms of size. If he could model his game as a right footed left winger, that either goes to the byline and pull it back or cut inside and shoot, essentially simplify his game we could have an asset on our hands.

However he had a lot of work to do to get there.

Mr Shelby likes this.
  16. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    Most 20 year olds I know now can only just handle being in public Nevermind playing in front of 60,000 and knowing millions are watching at home!

17. Mr Shelby Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson. Forever and always.
    Fav Celtic Song:
    Symphony
    He's 22 now.

Abada came to us at 19. Sometimes it's not due to age it's due to ability.

martin_d likes this.
  18. Callum McGregor The Captain Gold Member

Fav Celtic Player:
    Lubomir Moravcik
    Fav Celtic Song:
    You'll Never Walk Alone
    I'm sure he'll get a few opportunities between now and January to show his worth. He did pick up a bit of form last season so he should be aiming to replicate that at the very least. I don't think he'll ever be good enough to be our first choice winger but if he proves himself as a capable backup then great. Main area I think he needs to work on is his decision making in the final third, as he has little end product so far.

19. The_Bhoy

Fav Celtic Player:
    Larsson
    If it wasn’t for everything going on in Israel I think Abada could have gone to the very top. Still a great profit we made on him though to say he didn’t play for months. I’d say he was a success all in all. Shame to see him in the MLS

20. constant

I agree. I thought Yang did very well when he came on against Falkirk. Pacy, direct and determined. He has definitely moved ahead of Palma in the pecking for me anymore, and three years younger than Palma as @Mickmac has said already on this thread, so he is still learning, he could be another Kuhn on our hands.

Would give us a decent option for Maeda on the left wing, at least until we can reassess the situation in January.

eire4 likes this.